tranny flush whens a good time - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > tranny flush whens a good time

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 07-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
Fellows
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello

I use to think they were a scam and lots are but the Bg flush is not. Worked at a ford dealer for 10 years and they purchased one. At first I would not use it but I saw what it can do and was sold. Trans fluid has detergent built into it to keep trans parts clean. That detergent gets fully dispersed and fluid starts to break down. The flush starts with a highly concentrated detergent to clean out trans. Then you flush 16 clean quarts through and you can see through a window in machine as fluid gets clean. I have a F-150 with 175,000 miles on it that has had it's fluid changed every 30,000 miles. The fluid looks like it was just poured out of a new quart. Also I have fixed more torque converter shudders than I can count with a good flush. A simple drain and fill will do nothing for 90% of torque converter shudders. Since Chrysler has lots of shudder issues flush is great weapon.
So what happens to the filter?

Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Flushed the tranny in my WJ about every 50,000 miles or so and never had a problem until I broke the snap ring at 257,000 miles. Had it rebuilt with all new parts. The old clutches were a little worn, but with 257,000 I would expect that. Never changed the filter either. Will probably do the same with my JKU.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
Fellows
2011 WK 

I flushed the tranny in my 2001 Explorer every 30,000 miles till I got to 88,000 miles and needed a rebuild .
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellows
I flushed the tranny in my 2001 Explorer every 30,000 miles till I got to 88,000 miles and needed a rebuild .
Those tranny's had some problems worked on many of them. There is always lemons nature of the beast.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #20
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Those tranny's had some problems worked on many of them. There is always lemons nature of the beast.
And at the other end of the spectrum, there are automatics that have gone over 300,000 miles with no maintenance.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx
And at the other end of the spectrum, there are automatics that have gone over 300,000 miles with no maintenance.
True but why chance it silly.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
Fellows
2011 WK 

Quote:
This must be the rationale behind sealed for life transmissions. I guess they assume it will last longer if people don't mess with it at all. Too much risk of wrong fluids, detergents, additives, hokie back flushes , etc.

The flush thing still bothers me. I just read BG's website. First off, I'm being charged $150-$200 for what is really 10 min of work. Then they try and sell you the same flush procedure regardless of what your driving. My old Firebird had a disposable filter that would eventually break down if you didn't replace it. Here I'm supposed to trust their magic detergents to "clean" it? Anyone try and sell an oil change back flush and claim no filter change is necessary? If the transmission pump is running, the fluid is going through the filter the same way it normally operates. Where does the crap in the filter go once the detergents bind to it? Through the filter and into the rest of the transmission before it finally gets exchanged?
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #23
mello

First off not 10 min of work most newer vehicles don't even flow enough fluid until tranny gets real hot to even flush it. Then the actual flush takes about 10 minutes on top of the 10 to 15 min test drive. The total process on an ideal vehicle about 30-40 min. Still not a long time but longer than most think.
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #24
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
First off not 10 min of work most newer vehicles don't even flow enough fluid until tranny gets real hot to even flush it.
Well then, I guess a flush won't work on mine. It runs in the 90F to 130F range. (Not real hot at all)
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #25
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Well then, I guess a flush won't work on mine. It runs in the 90F to 130F range. (Not real hot at all)
And that ^ is what's important. Then enemy of ATF is heat.

OP should be asking if his ATF+4 is at all burnt.

Someone above gave him good advice about getting an aux cooler.

Since he got it used and may not know if the jeep was used to tow etc., and it's over 60 months, it is time for a pan drop and filter change.

Unless the ATF shows signs of being burnt (dark color, burnt smell). If so, then it should be dealt with accordingly.

Personally, I wouldn't put ANY other fluid than ATF+4 in one of these transmissions.

In the absence of evidence of burnt fluid, a pan drop filter change is adequate.

And it's time to change the coolant and brake fluid. The ATF might be fine but the coolant and brake fluid (assuming 6-7 year old original fluid) are overdue.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #26
mello

Quote:
Ambient temp not determining factor the cooling system on a lot of newer trans systems is thermostat controlled. They will flow basically no fluid through cooler till really warmed up. A ford truck with a torqshift trans has to be drove aggressive and will cool off enough during flush to shut off flow. Then you will have to brake torque it to warm it back up to finish flush. A jk tranny does not do this however and can be flushed at any temp. You obviously don't like flushes and that is ok by me. Fact of the matter is it just works. I work on a fleet of about 215 vehicles and since we purchased a Bg machine and started 30,000 mile service intervals on all vehicles our trans problems/failures half been noticeably reduced.
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #27
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet

And that ^ is what's important. Then enemy of ATF is heat.

OP should be asking if his ATF+4 is at all burnt.

Someone above gave him good advice about getting an aux cooler.

Since he got it used and may not know if the jeep was used to tow etc., and it's over 60 months, it is time for a pan drop and filter change.

Unless the ATF shows signs of being burnt (dark color, burnt smell). If so, then it should be dealt with accordingly.

Personally, I wouldn't put ANY other fluid than ATF+4 in one of these transmissions.

In the absence of evidence of burnt fluid, a pan drop filter change is adequate.

And it's time to change the coolant and brake fluid. The ATF might be fine but the coolant and brake fluid (assuming 6-7 year old original fluid) are overdue.
Very good point heat is the devil to a trans. As far as burnt fluid goes the ATF+4 smells burnt even when not so do most synthetics. They have a very rough odor.
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #28
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Follow the manual, that's why they print them.
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #29
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Some good discussion in this thread, so I'll kick in my opinion. I guess I need to emphasize it's my opinion.

I don't believe in flushes. I'd rather drop the pan and service the filter over a flush. Sure a flush replaces 100% of the fluid and a pan/filter job does a portion but regular pan/filter jobs coupled with a good cooler wins out over a flush for me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.