tranny flush whens a good time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > tranny flush whens a good time

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
bigcarl
2007 JK Wrangler 

tranny flush whens a good time

just got this jk its a 07 has 36 k on it now when should i do a trany fluid change what is a good fluid to use and how often should i change it and the filter ive never owned anything this new so i just need to know if changing it will cause problems or will it be ok

bigcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Now would be a good time if it's never been done. No vehicle records?
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
bigcarl
2007 JK Wrangler 

not that i know of i didnt see none i just wanted to make sure it was ok i dont even know what fluid it takes cuz it didnt have a book in it
bigcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Fellows
2011 WK 

If its not in the owner's manual I wouldn't do it at all.
Flushes are usually a rip off. If the manual does say to service the transmission, I'd stick to an old fashioned style pan drop and filter change. Mechanics that offer flushes usually don't change the filter because it cuts into their profits.
Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
mello

Flush for sure with the proper flush machine. Find a shop that has a BG flush machine to do it. It hooks in one on the tranny lines and uses the tranny's own pump to flush all the fluid out. Just dropping the pan might get half the fluid.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcarl View Post
just got this jk its a 07 has 36 k on it now when should i do a trany fluid change what is a good fluid to use and how often should i change it and the filter ive never owned anything this new so i just need to know if changing it will cause problems or will it be ok
36K is pretty early to have to pay for a flush.

Look at the fluid on the dip stick. If it's still red, just do the fluid/filter by dropping the pan. It doesn't matter that not all the fluid drains out as long as it's not contaminated with water or metal particles. I like to do this every 36,000 miles.

It takes ATF+4. Don't use anything else.

If it doesn't have an aux cooler, you should consider installing one.

Do you plan to do this yourself?
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
mello

The Bg trans fluid that is used in their flush machine is full synthetic and 100% compatible with ATF+4. If you are only going to drop pan that is like only draining 2 or 3 quarts of oil out of your motor and calling it a oil change.
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
The Bg trans fluid that is used in their flush machine is full synthetic and 100% compatible with ATF+4. If you are only going to drop pan that is like only draining 2 or 3 quarts of oil out of your motor and calling it a oil change.
Not true. No combustion products or gasoline in the transmission fluid.

Unless the transmission has cooked the fluid, or had a catastrophic failure, a flush just isn't necessary, especially at only 36,000 miles.

Your turn...
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Fellows
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello
Flush for sure with the proper flush machine. Find a shop that has a BG flush machine to do it. It hooks in one on the tranny lines and uses the tranny's own pump to flush all the fluid out. Just dropping the pan might get half the fluid.
It just runs transmission fluid right back through the same filter without changing or cleaning anything. Fluid flushes are a scam and easy money for a mechanic for 5 minutes of work. These are the same people that put a 3000 mile oil change sticker in your window. My owners manual says nothing about a flush. Drop the pan, change the filter and clean and inspect for metal shavings. You're better off changing half the fluid then being lazy and not dropping the pan.
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

The manual calls for a fluid dump (pan removal & reinstall) and filter change at 60k miles. That won't really "flush" your trans, about half or more of the old fluid will remain in there. However, first things first. With an '07, if you haven't done so previously, I'd first install an auxiliary cooler at your earliest convenience. This is not only a good thing for your trans performance-wise, with '07 -'11 automatic JKs known to catch fire when the trans overheats, it's a #1 priority safety item, too.

I follow a time honored old trans flushing idea that works great and gets virtually all the old fluid out. Get 12 or so quarts of ATF-4 before you begin. Take any kind of clear container, like a clean milk jug, and mark precisely two quarts on the side of the container. Don't guess, be very precise. Open the return line from the trans cooler. Plug the side side of the line that runs back to the trans and attach a long length of tight fitting hose to the the other side that comes from the cooler. You can do this easily with an aux. cooler's return barb, but you can also do so with the factory cooler lines where they have a union by the cooler. Run the hose into the container. Start the engine and let it run until exactly two quarts of fluid are in the container. Stop, pour the old fluid into a suitable recycling receptical and pour in two fresh quarts of ATF-4. Repeat five more times. VOILA! You have just done a nearly full trans flush. If you're persnickety about getting all the old ATF out you can do it a couple more times, but unless the fluid is badly burned 12 qts is plenty. Reconnect the return lines, run the rig until it's fully warmed up and check fluid level.

I do the above every 30k miles unless there's another reason to do so. On my JK I ran my rig a bit less than 10k miles before I installed an auxiliary cooler. It got plenty hot and trans performance was often erratic. When I added the aux cooler I did a flush at the same time. The fluid that came out looked a bit dark and had that used ATF smell. The new fluid and trans cooler improved trans performance significantly. I flushed it again at 30k miles as part of a major service and the ATF that came out loked about the same as what I put back in. I'll change the filter at 60k as called for, but will also do a flush. Hope this helps.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
Fellows
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66
The manual calls for a fluid dump (pan removal & reinstall) and filter change at 60k miles. That won't really "flush" your trans, about half or more of the old fluid will remain in there. However, first things first. With an '07, if you haven't done so previously, I'd first install an auxiliary cooler at your earliest convenience. This is not only a good thing for your trans performance-wise, with '07 -'11 automatic JKs known to catch fire when the trans overheats, it's a #1 priority safety item, too.

I follow a time honored old trans flushing idea that works great and gets virtually all the old fluid out. Get 12 or so quarts of ATF-4 before you begin. Take any kind of clear container, like a clean milk jug, and mark precisely two quarts on the side of the container. Don't guess, be very precise. Open the return line from the trans cooler. Plug the side side of the line that runs back to the trans and attach a long length of tight fitting hose to the the other side that comes from the cooler. You can do this easily with an aux. cooler's return barb, but you can also do so with the factory cooler lines where they have a union by the cooler. Run the hose into the container. Start the engine and let it run until exactly two quarts of fluid are in the container. Stop, pour the old fluid into a suitable recycling receptical and pour in two fresh quarts of ATF-4. Repeat five more times. VOILA! You have just done a nearly full trans flush. If you're persnickety about getting all the old ATF out you can do it a couple more times, but unless the fluid is badly burned 12 qts is plenty. Reconnect the return lines, run the rig until it's fully warmed up and check fluid level.

I do the above every 30k miles unless there's another reason to do so. On my JK I ran my rig a bit less than 10k miles before I installed an auxiliary cooler. It got plenty hot and trans performance was often erratic. When I added the aux cooler I did a flush at the same time. The fluid that came out looked a bit dark and had that used ATF smell. The new fluid and trans cooler improved trans performance significantly. I flushed it again at 30k miles as part of a major service and the ATF that came out loked about the same as what I put back in. I'll change the filter at 60k as called for, but will also do a flush. Hope this helps.
Its ok that half the fluid remains. The important thing here is inspect and change filter. People sweat the old fluid in the torque converter way too much. A lot of newer cars have sealed transmissions that don't call for service at all. Nobody cared about flushes till the
flush machines started getting popular and mechanics started their sales pitch.
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66

Wasn't the transmission fire caused by the skid plate? That's what the recall was. It was collecting debris and catching on fire. It wasn't the transmission itself catching fire.

Just sayin
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
Wasn't the transmission fire caused by the skid plate? That's what the recall was. It was collecting debris and catching on fire. It wasn't the transmission itself catching fire.

Just sayin
There have been several possible causes.
The skid plate trapping debris was one.
Oil spewing out of the vent tube, (or possibly the filler tube), onto the manifold was another.
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellows

It just runs transmission fluid right back through the same filter without changing or cleaning anything. Fluid flushes are a scam and easy money for a mechanic for 5 minutes of work. These are the same people that put a 3000 mile oil change sticker in your window. My owners manual says nothing about a flush. Drop the pan, change the filter and clean and inspect for metal shavings. You're better off changing half the fluid then being lazy and not dropping the pan.
I use to think they were a scam and lots are but the Bg flush is not. Worked at a ford dealer for 10 years and they purchased one. At first I would not use it but I saw what it can do and was sold. Trans fluid has detergent built into it to keep trans parts clean. That detergent gets fully dispersed and fluid starts to break down. The flush starts with a highly concentrated detergent to clean out trans. Then you flush 16 clean quarts through and you can see through a window in machine as fluid gets clean. I have a F-150 with 175,000 miles on it that has had it's fluid changed every 30,000 miles. The fluid looks like it was just poured out of a new quart. Also I have fixed more torque converter shudders than I can count with a good flush. A simple drain and fill will do nothing for 90% of torque converter shudders. Since Chrysler has lots of shudder issues flush is great weapon.
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
Gumby1
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
I use to think they were a scam and lots are but the Bg flush is not. Worked at a ford dealer for 10 years and they purchased one. At first I would not use it but I saw what it can do and was sold. Trans fluid has detergent built into it to keep trans parts clean. That detergent gets fully dispersed and fluid starts to break down. The flush starts with a highly concentrated detergent to clean out trans. Then you flush 16 clean quarts through and you can see through a window in machine as fluid gets clean. I have a F-150 with 175,000 miles on it that has had it's fluid changed every 30,000 miles. The fluid looks like it was just poured out of a new quart. Also I have fixed more torque converter shudders than I can count with a good flush. A simple drain and fill will do nothing for 90% of torque converter shudders. Since Chrysler has lots of shudder issues flush is great weapon.
Been a tech for 20 years and I agree
Gumby1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.