Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tranny and Engine destroyed

140K views 660 replies 230 participants last post by  JoonHoss 
#1 ·
JK Rubicon. Under 36,000 miles.

So take a look at these pics and tell me what could have caused this. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Veh was on dry pavement, going about 60mph, step on gas pedal to accelerate, engine noise, puff of smoke seen in rear-view. Engine dies and Jeep is pulled over to side of road. Big puddle of oil. Towed to dealer.

Attachments

See less See more
#89 ·
Typical Chrysler garbage. I wish Chrysler went of out business and we lost Jeep so we would have these piles of Chrysler garbage with the jeep name on them.

I'm surprised you weren't told that it was normal and that they all do it and that it was an isolated incident and they have never heard of it happening.

I hope that Chrysler honors their warranty when ours finally blows up. The knocking and excessive oil consumption we have is completely normal

#90 ·
Millermagic said:
Typical Chrysler garbage. I wish Chrysler went of out business and we lost Jeep so we would have these piles of Chrysler garbage with the jeep name on them.

I'm surprised you weren't told that it was normal and that they all do it and that it was an isolated incident and they have never heard of it happening.

I hope that Chrysler honors their warranty when ours finally blows up. The knocking and excessive oil consumption we have is completely normal
I wish Ford would bring back the original Bronco (old style, not OJ style).

#101 ·
Wow sorry to hear about it. Several interesting theories. I've got to think catastrophic engine failure from something like the wrist pin sliding out and hitting the cylinder wall is the culprit.

I think hydro lock is less likely. If the fluid came in through a blown head gasket then wouldn't compression be pretty much gone from that cylinder chamber and much of the fluid would be pushed back through the blown gasket? so that would leave us with fluid entering the chamber through the intake potentially through an internal head failure that would allow water into the intake port.

OP.. thanks for serving our country. Hope things work out.

#103 ·
I ran a 66cj5 with the Buick v6 235 for 40 miles to get back to town with a blown head gasket. I must have went through 15 gallons of water to get her back, looked like a steam train out of the right bank , lots of water steam. drove it to a Napa bought a head gasket replaced it there in a parking lot. drove it for years after. The piston with the leak was so clean it looked like a new piston. Never hydrolocked. Most head gaskets that go do not lead to a major malfuntion unless you run with no water and crack a head or wall, over heat. Does this year Jeep have a rev limiter? I know the 012's do. fuel cut off point.

#104 ·
I ran a 66cj5 with the Buick v6 235 for 40 miles to get back to town with a blown head gasket. I must have went through 15 gallons of water to get her back, looked like a steam train out of the right bank , lots of water steam.

drove it to a Napa bought a head gasket replaced it there in a parking lot. drove it for years after.

The piston with the leak was so clean it looked like a new piston. Never hydrolocked. Most head gaskets that go do not lead to a major malfuntion unless you run with no water and crack a head or wall, over heat. Does this year Jeep have a rev limiter? I know the 012's do. fuel cut off point.
Great story! (I mean that sincerely.) Not many vehicles owners can do that, or would even consider doing that.

#105 ·
Sorry to see that happen to a jeep's engine, especially a vet's. Thank you for your service, and I truly hope you're able to get it resolved soon.

But man, I gotta say; when machines randomly, and without explanation, go KABLOOEY

:popCorn:

Subscribed

...and i say that knowing that my 4.2 is on borrowed time

#127 ·
Me to brother, me too!

#107 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I was told there was still fluid in the radiator. Right now the jeep was moved from one dealer to the other. Waiting on the new dealership to give me an update. Should hear something today.

A forum member PM'd me advising he has a new engine/tranny for sale. I may have to go that route. Anyone know a good shop in middle Ten that can do an engine swap?

How about the cost of a hemi/trans and labor?
•Total parts list price: $3500.00
•We can also get a 5.7L HEMI and a trans for about $3700.00
•The labor to do the job is $4000.00

That's from Jeep Speed Shop in Cali. About $11k! Or I can hope Chrysler does the rigth thing and covers it under warranty.

#108 ·
sgt jeep said:
Thanks for all the replies.

I was told there was still fluid in the radiator. Right now the jeep was moved from one dealer to the other. Waiting on the new dealership to give me an update. Should hear something today.

A forum member PM'd me advising he has a new engine/tranny for sale. I may have to go that route. Anyone know a good shop in middle Ten that can do an engine swap?

How about the cost of a hemi and tranny?
Good luck... Not sure about the cost to do a hemi swap.. Bet she ain't cheap... Tho could be worth it.. Let us know how it goes...

#109 ·
sgt jeep, Im the one with the new motor and tranny. I can help advise you on the hemi swap, since thats the reason we have the new 3.8 motor and tranny available.

You can get the Hemi swap done as cheap as $9k, possibly slightly less if your doing all the work, you get a used motor and tranny cheap and all the stars align. The cheapest I have ever heard myself is between 10-11k and thats with a used motor and tranny.

To get everything brand new, It cost us $19,500 complete from Trailjeeps in Boulder Colorado. You can get it done anywhere in between those prices, depending on the cost of parts.

I am here to help you if you need my new motor and tranny, but if you have the cash, I would advise you to do the hemi swap. It's worth the money if you have it.

#110 ·
sgt jeep, Im the one with the new motor and tranny. I can help advise you on the hemi swap, since thats the reason we have the new 3.8 motor and tranny available.

You can get the Hemi swap done as cheap as $9k, possibly slightly less if your doing all the work, you get a used motor and tranny cheap and all the stars align. The cheapest I have ever heard myself is between 10-11k and thats with a used motor and tranny.

To get everything brand new, It cost us $19,500 complete from Trailjeeps in Boulder Colorado. You can get it done anywhere in between those prices, depending on the cost of parts.

I am here to help you if you need my new motor and tranny, but if you have the cash, I would advise you to do the hemi swap. It's worth the money if you have it.
Thanks man. I'd love to have a Hemi. The wife's Durango has one and it is super responsive. I bet a Jeep with one is awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.