Trading in for a rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Trading in for a rubicon

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
mbilliaert

So I'm gonna be trading my 12 sport jk for a rubicon, was wondering what u guys think I should look at for options. I want a 2 door, but I'm not sure about a standard or auto (I have a standard now) what gears? I do a lot of highway. I'm for sure getting dual tops. What about power widows and door locks? Do they add a lot of weight when lifting the doors on and off? What about the stock tires there's some options there? I don't live in a rocky area. I'm also curious about what you guys think is a good winch that works well?

mbilliaert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

Lots of questions there.

Auto vs manual is a personal choice. The new auto seems to be popular, though. I know I like mine.

I would do dual tops given the choice, but you can always find a aftermarket soft top easily. What's your climate like?

Power option will not add a lot of weight. I think this option is worth it.

You don't have tire/wheel options with the Rubicon.

Warn and Superwinch are both good choices. I wouldn't mess with anything else. There's a good article called "Winches in Hell" somewhere on the interwebs that does some good testing on a variety of winches. Warn and Superwinch were on top.

Other than that, I appreciate the leather option. I think it's around $900 invoice.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
ncb

Power windows and locks are standard on the Rubicon.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Half doors, 2 door model, standard shift. 4.10's are standard. The 2014 has a premium top material that is like a convertible top fabric. Very thick and nice. Wheels and tires are standard rubicon style. Mopar lifts are now an option and personally, I kinda like the anvil color. It was only available on the rubicon last year. They told me it would only take a few weeks to build it so you don't have to settle for what's on the lot. Oh and the 2 half door won't be found on a lot, the dealers don't seem to want them.
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

as long as your not losing more money than it would cost just upgrading your axles and Tcase id say go for it. one thing i wish i did get was half doors.
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

I say this honestly and by no means disrespectful, but if you have to ask those questions are you absolutely positive a Rubicon is for you?

It seems a two door sport with some all terrain tires would fit your driving habits a bit better than a Rubicon...you could save some $ and still have a sweet Jeep.

However, if you plan on Wheeling your new Rubicon more than your '12 than have at it!

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
mbilliaert

I plan on doing some trips down south to some off road parks and I use my vehicles for hunting. I don't need a rubicon but I want one.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbilliaert View Post
I plan on doing some trips down south to some off road parks and I use my vehicles for hunting. I don't need a rubicon but I want one.
I hear you on that!

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Panhead5
2009 JK Wrangler 

I mainly wheel to the mall or Starbucks but after a summer trip to Moab unless I was going to build some killer trail rig I would never own anything but a Rubi .I used the front and rear lockers and the sway bar disconnect works good .Also love the Rubi transfer case.
Panhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
mbilliaert

[QUOTE="mbilliaert"]So I'm gonna be trading my 12 sport jk for a rubicon, was wondering what u guys think I should look at for options. I want a 2 door, but I'm not sure about a standard or auto (I have a standard now) what gears? I do a lot of highway. I'm for sure getting dual tops. What about power widows and door locks? Do they add a lot of weight when lifting the doors on and off? What about the stock tires there's some options there? I don't live in a rocky area. I'm also curious about what you guys think is a good winch that works well? What other options do u guys have that u can't live without?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.