Trade 2011 Rubi for 2012 Rubi Unlimited? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Trade 2011 Rubi for 2012 Rubi Unlimited?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Jeepin' Joe
Civilian Jeeper

1978 CJ5 

Trade 2011 Rubi for 2012 Rubi Unlimited?

I have a two door 2011 Black Ops Edition, I'm considering trading it for a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited. Miles on the two Jeeps are close, mine 16K the 2012 21K. I considered an Unlimited when I bought mine, but the 2011s were way underpowered. That is not a problem at all with the 2012. The 2012 was sold new in July 2012. No recalls on it at all. Were most of the Pentastar head problems on early models? At the end of negotiations this afternoon, we were at $9800 difference plus tires at dealer cost. Have I lost my mind? I really would like to have the extra room, but really can't go 42K for a new Rubicon.

Jeepin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Jared89
2011 JK Wrangler 

Wait they want your black ops and almost $10k? That seems like a bad deal for you all the way. I have a hard time believing your upside down on your Jeep or are you?
Jared89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
spinlock

No matter how you slice it, unless the your father in law owns the dealership, you will pay a premium for the convenience of just trading in your 2 door. If you want the best deal possible, then sell your 2 door on your own and negotiate the best price you can for the JKU in question or another on the market.

If you are not interested in selling your 2 door on your own, then determine how much you are willing to pay for the convenience of a trade then add that amount to the difference in price based on the KBB or local listings and that will tell you if it is a good deal for you or not.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Jeepin' Joe
Civilian Jeeper

1978 CJ5 

A good point, further complicated by state law. If I trade, I save $1200 in state sales tax vs. paying cash.
Jeepin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

If it's a 13-14 I'd consider it, but your buying another used one, right? They are asking to much. As said, sell yours, then buy a 4dr from a private seller. Of, as the reality sets in, drive your for another 3-5 years to burn off the depreciation.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin' Joe View Post
A good point, further complicated by state law. If I trade, I save $1200 in state sales tax vs. paying cash.
Check a dealer or two - here in Texas a dealer can do a title exchange for two parties - then the tax is the same as if the dealer did the actual sale (car price minus trade value). I paid a service charge of ~30.00 bucks and all the title work and everything was done for me, and tax was only collected on the difference in value (basically the cash I paid and the note absorbed by the buyer over the value of
the car I traded).
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
715racing
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgandy View Post
Also, when you sell a car you can make up your own bill of sale, you can literally type up whatever you want and say you traded it against a new purchase and you pay no sales tax at all.

Keep in my the '11 is a lot less desirable than '12+ model years because of engine
I don't understand what you are saying? You don't pay tax when you sell a car...the buyer does.
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

bad deal, i picked up my 12 rubi for 28.5k with 40 something miles on it

also wait for the new diesel they'll eventually have to put in to meet fuel mpg needs. hopefully anyways
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
brimy311
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Just to give you an idea, a Rubi with auto and hardtop only is $5500 more the a JKUS with power, auto, hardtop.

The base price difference on a 2D to JKU is $4k. So depending on how built the rubi is, $9800 difference may be fair.

In my area, 2012 Rubi JKU's are around 18-25k mileage are $29-32k.

Like us on Facebook for up to date product updates and specials!
Follow us on Twitter!
brimy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I say go for it if you want the 3.6 engine and 4 doors. I'm not realling going to analyze the prices though. Just saying do it if that's what you want.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.