Traction Control Issues, need advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-17-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
JeepScout3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Traction Control Issues, need advice

Okay, got a weird situation going on and need to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Vehicle Info: 2010 Jeep 2DR JK, manual transmission, 285/70R17s on after market wheels (had over a year), no lift. Last tire rotation: 2 months ago.

Problem: Last weekend, pulling out of driveway, shift to 2nd gear, traction control goes off (vehicle bogs down, traction light flashes), does it again at stop sign at end of street. Then nothing more, everything's fine, shifts okay, no more issue. Since then it has happened every time I drive the Jeep for the first time every day. It seems like it goes away after the vehicle warms up, I checked the tire pressure just to make sure one wasn't lower and once the tire heated up (I know very low chance this would cause it, but checking everything). I haven't hit anything that might have shifted alignment (plus I doubt it would just go away after a couple of minutes). It only happens in 2nd gear, and only once or twice, then everything is fine, sits for 9 hours at work, and nothing, only first drive of the day. There was no changes (maintenance, weather, anything) between the day prior to the day it started. I'm stumped, oh and no codes being thrown either.

Question: Has anyone had/seen this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks

2010 JK Sport, Dark Charcoal, 6-Speed, 3.73, 285/70R17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 06:17 AM
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

To specifically confirm regarding the alignment, is the steering wheel totally straight when driving straight? If it's even a little off it can trip traction control.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
JeepScout3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
To specifically confirm regarding the alignment, is the steering wheel totally straight when driving straight? If it's even a little off it can trip traction control.
Yes it is. Also did the old "let go of the steering wheel and it stayed true" check just to see if it was pulling. It stays true.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I would then suspect a wheel speed sensor... maybe dirt or mud packed in tone ring (or weak coil from age) makes for a lower induction ability until brake heat warms it a bit...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
JeepScout3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
I would then suspect a wheel speed sensor... maybe dirt or mud packed in tone ring (or weak coil from age) makes for a lower induction ability until brake heat warms it a bit...
Thanks for the suggestion. Any way to tell which one? Wouldn't it throw a code? It happens with both a left and right turn.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 07:55 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I'd start with front as that's where there is more speed differential so more likelihood of error. Remove and clean em...
post #7 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 08:49 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd start with front as that's where there is more speed differential so more likelihood of error. Remove and clean em...
The front sensors and tone rings are inside the hub. Not much chance for mud and dirt to get in there.

A bad front hub bearing will cause problems with the position of the sensor next to the tone ring.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #8 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 09:03 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScout3 View Post
Okay, got a weird situation going on and need to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Vehicle Info: 2010 Jeep 2DR JK, manual transmission, 285/70R17s on after market wheels (had over a year), no lift. Last tire rotation: 2 months ago.

Problem: Last weekend, pulling out of driveway, shift to 2nd gear, traction control goes off (vehicle bogs down, traction light flashes), does it again at stop sign at end of street. Then nothing more, everything's fine, shifts okay, no more issue. Since then it has happened every time I drive the Jeep for the first time every day. It seems like it goes away after the vehicle warms up, I checked the tire pressure just to make sure one wasn't lower and once the tire heated up (I know very low chance this would cause it, but checking everything). I haven't hit anything that might have shifted alignment (plus I doubt it would just go away after a couple of minutes). It only happens in 2nd gear, and only once or twice, then everything is fine, sits for 9 hours at work, and nothing, only first drive of the day. There was no changes (maintenance, weather, anything) between the day prior to the day it started. I'm stumped, oh and no codes being thrown either.

Question: Has anyone had/seen this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks
Happens during left and right turns out of the driveway, but only in second gear? Isn't the JK straightened out by the time you shift to second?
Does it ever happen after a stop sign, but proceeding straight rather than turning after the stop?

As far as no codes...Are you checking with the key dance? Or are you checking with a code reader connected to the OBDII port?

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #9 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
JeepScout3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Happens during left and right turns out of the driveway, but only in second gear?
Yes, it only happens usually twice, after initially leaving my driveway and then after the first stop & go at the stop sign.

Quote:
Isn't the JK straightened out by the time you shift to second?
Yes, was adding the detail that it doesn't matter whether I am coming out of a left or right hand turn when it happens.

Quote:
Does it ever happen after a stop sign, but proceeding straight rather than turning after the stop?
Yes, I have stopped and taken off on my street (after it happened coming out of the driveway) and as soon as I shifted to 2nd the traction light came on and it bogged down until I released the accelerator.

Quote:
As far as no codes...Are you checking with the key dance? Or are you checking with a code reader connected to the OBDII port?
Key dance, don't have a code reader/programmer.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 AM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScout3 View Post

Key dance, don't have a code reader/programmer.
In that case, have it read with a code reader. A lot of codes don't show with the key dance.

Some parts stores will read the codes for free.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #11 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 08:02 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Glad to see ya get in on this Ron - your trouble shooting skills are exemplary!

one other thing - assuming no codes - check date and tread life codes on tires - a 420-480 treadwear is a HARD tire, and tires harden more with heat cycles. at two to three years old its not impossible that the Jeep IS seeing real tire slip, and a justified TC engagement when the rubbers cold (and the humidity in Houston where scuba gear is almost required to live - is enough to lubricate the rubber lol)... the 1-2 shift is usually the hardest throttled shift.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
JeepScout3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
In that case, have it read with a code reader. A lot of codes don't show with the key dance.

Some parts stores will read the codes for free.
Sounds like a good start. Was my next option after seeing if anyone on here had seen this. Thanks.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
JeepScout3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Glad to see ya get in on this Ron - your trouble shooting skills are exemplary!

one other thing - assuming no codes - check date and tread life codes on tires - a 420-480 treadwear is a HARD tire, and tires harden more with heat cycles. at two to three years old its not impossible that the Jeep IS seeing real tire slip, and a justified TC engagement when the rubbers cold (and the humidity in Houston where scuba gear is almost required to live - is enough to lubricate the rubber lol)... the 1-2 shift is usually the hardest throttled shift.
Tires are just over a year old. They were manufactured the same month I bought them (checked the date/code on the side wall when I bought them). I thought about possible tire spin and actually have babied (low RPMs) the shift to no avail, came on after the shift when I gave it the slightest acceleration. I appreciate all the feedback. I was leaning toward alignment and rebalancing the tires, even though I am almost certain that is not the issue, but getting a code reader may be the better first step.

post #14 of 14 Old 06-21-2017, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
JeepScout3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Garage
So, after a week of this issue, it has mysteriously went away as fast as it started. No codes showed up on the code reader and for the last two days no traction issues. I appreciate all the suggestions and considering the disappearance of the issue definitely sounds like a sensor is going out. Thanks ronjenx and jwmbishop for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.