Track lock: do you need it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Track lock: do you need it?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 01-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
mr.grumpy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Track lock: do you need it?

You guys are all enthusiasts. Did you get the tracklock? Why or why not? I have to order a Jeep to get one: there are none on lots around here!

mr.grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

its worth it.

or you can wait and get a rear locker when it becomes available. (cant have both though)

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
jarettms

I got the trac lock

It was a requirement for me...this is my first jeep, but my family has had 4WDs in the past and the ones without a limited slip always struggled when the going got rough. Some may say that the traction control system negates the need for limited slip, but having had my Jeep in the snow today in 2WD, I could feel both rear wheels pushing without the annoying electronic nanny kicking in.
jarettms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
UTAH

I'll offer a different view here.

The JK is the first Jeep I've owned that does not have a limited-slip or locker in the rear diff. I thought it would be a problem, and it's not. Seriously, the traction control works VERY well in the JK. Originally, I figured I'd want to put a locker in - but the performance of the JK in slippery situations has changed my mind.

Bill
Unread 01-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I know I don't own a JK, but I'll chime in here.

Traction control may be great for on pavement...I know the traction/stability control works great on my WK on the road when things get slick. But if you're off road and want to disable the traction/stability control to allow for some wheelspin (in mud for example), then the vehicle will function exactly like one with an open differential...the torque will take the path of least resistance and one wheel per axle will spin like mad while the other just sits there.

So yeah, go for the traction-lok. Traction/stability control will help on the road, but it won't be effective off road if you disable it using the button on the dash.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

NAAAAAAAA You can always use high speed instead

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraexplorer
Thanks, if it is that good than I'm sure that they can't sell it in California. Everything else is illegal in this state except the illegalsl
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.