Trac-Lok Limited Slip Rear Differential??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Trac-Lok Limited Slip Rear Differential???

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
REL1203
2008 JK Wrangler 

Trac-Lok Limited Slip Rear Differential???

Can someone please explain what exactly this does.. I am having a hard time understanding it, and am placing my order this evening... Is it worth the $280 more it cost on a Sahara?

REL1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you plan on taking your Jeep off road, get it. The differential will allow your Jeep to have traction and move through slippery or slick off road surfaces without getting stuck.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
JeepMan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
kubwa_jim
2007 JK Wrangler 

On my last trip to CO, I was amazed at how well the trac loc kept the rear wheels from spinning in 4lo. All available power was put in the right place.
Unread 08-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's worth it, get it. It'll help on and off-road in slippery conditions.

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
ammonm
2008 JK Wrangler 

It will also help you get better traction on the road once you install the supercharger.
Power Group
Tow Package
6 Speed Manual
ammonm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
UTAH

Not a dissent here - just some thoughts:

The JK is the first Wrangler to come with traction control and it does work. I've owned every model of off-road Jeep made from an unlocked CJ on up to a fully locked TJ Ruby.

My JK is very competent in the slick stuff, even without the locker option(s). I can feel the traction control working in slick conditions whether on road or not. This past Winter I used 4x4 in the JK the least amount ever in one of my 4-wheel drives. The traction control worked so well in 2-wheel drive that it just was not necessary to use 4x4 much in the snow and ice.

Now, I'm not trying to claim traction control is the same as a locker. I'm just pointing out that compared to "open" axles the JK's traction control does represent an improvement.

Bill
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
nursebuck
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's worth it. I did not get the trac lock in my first 07 JK and I paid the price when I got stuck in the mud. You might as well not even get a 4x4 w/o the trac lock. I felt so useless. My second 07 JK now has the Trac Lock and I love it. I had it on my last 4 TJs as well. This is an option that a Jeep owner should never overlook. As far as I'm concerned, it should be a standard on all 4x4s. Just my 2 cents....
nursebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
NorthBendJeeper

The built in Electronic Stability Program and the Trak-Lok limited slip are actually very complimentary to each other.

Here's a scenario for you where Trak-lok beats the ESP:

Imagine you have one wheel entirely off the ground (or in super slippery slush), and the other wheel is on firm ground. With a normal differential, you are now stuck. The torque is transmitted equally to both wheels. For the wheel off the ground, it spins madly. For the wheel on the ground, it creaks a little, but doesn't have enough torque to actually move you.

In this specific situation, the ESP program won't actually help. It will add braking force to the spinning wheel, but this won't add enough torque to the wheel that is not moving, so you remain stuck.

With the Trak-lok limited slip differential, it will only allow the spinning wheel to spin so far before it starts transferring more torque to the unmoving wheel. The more power you add, the more power gets added to the wheel on firm ground. The result is - that wheel finally gets enough torque to move the vehicle, and you aren't stuck anymore.

Anyway, hope this helps.

-North Bend Jeeper
NorthBendJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
REL1203
2008 JK Wrangler 

Awesome.. I made my 08 Sahara Order today, and certainly added it... Now just gotta wait the 3months
REL1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
JeepLore

I have posted this in the past as well. The Trak loc is not worth the money. It has clutches and will wear out eventually and does not even work that well. The JK has awesome electronic tractino control which works great without the weird handling issue of trak loc.

If you really want to improve the tractino, get the real locker, not trak loc (which is a limited slip) Pay the extra few hundred and get the selectable locker. There is no reason to get the trac loc, it is outdated now that there is electronic traction control and you have the option of selectable gear driven locker. Now if one is on the lot with Trac loc, that is a different story, but if you are ordering, keep it open or get the selectable locker, not trac loc. Just my two cents. I had trac loc on my 93 wrangler and was never impressed adn after about 75k miles, i had to have it replaced.
JeepLore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #11
NorthBendJeeper

"The Trak loc is not worth the money. It has clutches and will wear out eventually and does not even work that well."

I couldn't disagree more. The difference in slippery conditions between having a limited slip and just having the ESP is night and day.

-NorthBendJeeper
NorthBendJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2007, 03:12 AM   #12
YellowSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepLore
I have posted this in the past as well. The Trak loc is not worth the money. It has clutches and will wear out eventually and does not even work that well. The JK has awesome electronic tractino control which works great without the weird handling issue of trak loc.

If you really want to improve the tractino, get the real locker, not trak loc (which is a limited slip) Pay the extra few hundred and get the selectable locker. There is no reason to get the trac loc, it is outdated now that there is electronic traction control and you have the option of selectable gear driven locker. Now if one is on the lot with Trac loc, that is a different story, but if you are ordering, keep it open or get the selectable locker, not trac loc. Just my two cents. I had trac loc on my 93 wrangler and was never impressed adn after about 75k miles, i had to have it replaced.

Are you crazy? Track loc helps a lot. I have had it on almost all my jeeps and my mustangs in the past. I would not own a jeep or mustang without it, it keeps both wheels spining at the same rate. Get one wheel off the ground and see if the traction control helps.
'98 Cobra Vert #1558 Supercharged
YellowSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #13
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBendJeeper
The difference in slippery conditions between having a limited slip and just having the ESP is night and day.

-NorthBendJeeper
Right on the money. A few years ago a lady in Texas insisted on taking her prized 3 series BMW off road, in the mud with the rest of us Jeep guys.

Long story short is her driver's side tires got stuck in wet mud and everytime she stepped on the gas pedal, the axle would spin more and more until she ended up with her car's axle partially sunk in; some tire was visable, but not much.

Thankfully we had large scraps of wood handy that we could stick in front of the tire and behind it so when she gassed the car, up came the tire out of the mud and off she went.

The Jeeps behind her had Detroit lockers and were able to drive through that troublesome area with zero problems.

Bottom line is that ESP works great on paved surfaces. In this case, the ESP was a hinderance to her situation and actually caused her car to bury itself in the mud. When you lose the pavement and come across some deep mud, you'll need a locker to get through.
JeepMan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #14
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBendJeeper View Post
The built in Electronic Stability Program and the Trak-Lok limited slip are actually very complimentary to each other.

Here's a scenario for you where Trak-lok beats the ESP:

Imagine you have one wheel entirely off the ground (or in super slippery slush), and the other wheel is on firm ground. With a normal differential, you are now stuck. The torque is transmitted equally to both wheels. For the wheel off the ground, it spins madly. For the wheel on the ground, it creaks a little, but doesn't have enough torque to actually move you.

In this specific situation, the ESP program won't actually help. It will add braking force to the spinning wheel, but this won't add enough torque to the wheel that is not moving, so you remain stuck.

With the Trak-lok limited slip differential, it will only allow the spinning wheel to spin so far before it starts transferring more torque to the unmoving wheel. The more power you add, the more power gets added to the wheel on firm ground. The result is - that wheel finally gets enough torque to move the vehicle, and you aren't stuck anymore.

Anyway, hope this helps.

-North Bend Jeeper

Hey there, bump time... is the trac-Lok even available as an option any longer? I know it was available & I have it on my 08 sahara but cannot locate it on jeeps website or any correspondence. Anyone?
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #15
Ebunny07
2011 MK Patriot 

yes it is still available as a option, I just traded my 09 2 door in for a '11 4 door and the new one has 3.73's and a trac lok, so im pretty happy
Ebunny07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.