TPMS light on solid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > TPMS light on solid

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
offdwall
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 JK Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon.

We just finished up two weeks on Martha's Vineyard. We were on the beach everyday, aired down to 15 PSI. At the end of each day I brought the tires back up to about 30 psi for the short drive back to where we were staying.

The TPMS light was on all two weeks. Since I was about 10lbs under, I didn't think anything of it. Before we left to go home, I brought pressure back up to 37 psi. A week later the TPMS light is still on solid. I've checked the tires and they are at 37 psi cold.

The manual states that a solid light after one min flashing on every engine start signals a "malfunction".

Did something get damaged during the two week air down?

Unread 08-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
driven22
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just had new tires put on my 2012 and had to take it back as had to have them reset at discount tire with the reader they have ad would not go off steady. If not flashing then no damage to sensor. They had to let them down use the reader to reset then filled them to 32 and it stayed off. Good luck
driven22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just buy an AEV Procal Module--

You can set your TPMS to anything you want and never worry about the dash light-

Even "disable" the system so it'll never work, cause it's usually "in error" anyway !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Check your spare also, there is a monitor in that tire to. Happened to me once, I was gettiing really mad till I figured my spare needed air in it.
danski999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry, but the spare doesn't register untill it's on the ground and "ROTATING"--

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski999 View Post
Check your spare also, there is a monitor in that tire to. Happened to me once, I was gettiing really mad till I figured my spare needed air in it.
JIMBO
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Sorry, but the spare doesn't register untill it's on the ground and "ROTATING"--

JIMBO
Yes they do send !!! They detect motion also. It was a suggestion for them to make sure the spare is at the coorct PSI.!
danski999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Maybe for 2012, but not previous !

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski999 View Post
Yes they do send !!! They detect motion also. It was a suggestion for them to make sure the spare is at the coorct PSI.!
JIMBO
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Foxwakeboarder
2012 JK Wrangler 

I own a 2012 and the spare does not register. I know this because I was in a hurry and didn't have time to figure out which of.my old tires had the sensor in it still when I bought my spare. So I told them not to worry about it because it wont register anyways and it doesn't. To the OP it is probably just goofed up and needs a reset or of course the procal.
Foxwakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
offdwall
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdwall View Post
2012 JK Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon.

We just finished up two weeks on Martha's Vineyard. We were on the beach everyday, aired down to 15 PSI. At the end of each day I brought the tires back up to about 30 psi for the short drive back to where we were staying.

The TPMS light was on all two weeks. Since I was about 10lbs under, I didn't think anything of it. Before we left to go home, I brought pressure back up to 37 psi. A week later the TPMS light is still on solid. I've checked the tires and they are at 37 psi cold.

The manual states that a solid light after one min flashing on every engine start signals a "malfunction".

Did something get damaged during the two week air down?
SOLVED.

I'm not exactly sure what did it but;

I checked the spare. It was at 41PSI. I lowered that to 40.0.

I again rechecked all others, they were still at 37.0.

I then added air to all other tires up to about 43, then bled then back down to 40.0.

All TPMS lights and buzzers are off now.

Was it the 3 psi difference? Could the high pressure filler I used at the beach air station have stuck a sensor in some way?
Unread 08-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwakeboarder View Post
I own a 2012 and the spare does not register. I know this because I was in a hurry and didn't have time to figure out which of.my old tires had the sensor in it still when I bought my spare. So I told them not to worry about it because it wont register anyways and it doesn't. To the OP it is probably just goofed up and needs a reset or of course the procal.
It won't register if it's not there, only if it's there and low.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdwall View Post
SOLVED.

I'm not exactly sure what did it but;

I checked the spare. It was at 41PSI. I lowered that to 40.0.

I again rechecked all others, they were still at 37.0.

I then added air to all other tires up to about 43, then bled then back down to 40.0.

All TPMS lights and buzzers are off now.

Was it the 3 psi difference? Could the high pressure filler I used at the beach air station have stuck a sensor in some way?
It probably needed a little time. Typically you need to overshoot a few pounds, and then come back down.. I don't know what the actual threshold is, but it's most likely around 32 psi.
37 should have been good, but that all depends on whether or nor your gauge is reading right, I have several that all read within almost 15 psi of each other...
Glad it reset itself. No worries, it's a nice system to have but won't cause any problems when it's acting weird..
Unread 08-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Foxwakeboarder
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043

It won't register if it's not there, only if it's there and low.
Wrong. I had them break the stock tires down take the sensors out so the sensors were waiting when all four wheels and tires got there and I drove around with a Tpms light on until I got the new wheels and tires on and presto light gone.
Foxwakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
metaldemon7
2012 JK Wrangler 

Do they have to be in a tire in order to read? I bought a set of Rubicon wheels, and tires=no TPMS light at 35PSI. I sold my original tires, and the guy didn't want the rims. He gave me back the rims, and handed me the five sensors he took off so they didn't get damaged. I put them in my pocket, and forgot about them. I drove around that afternoon with them in my pocket, no TPMS light.
metaldemon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #14
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwakeboarder View Post
Wrong. I had them break the stock tires down take the sensors out so the sensors were waiting when all four wheels and tires got there and I drove around with a Tpms light on until I got the new wheels and tires on and presto light gone.
Wrong.
I take my spare off all the time when we go hunting and wheeling and the TPMS light does not come on.
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldemon7 View Post
Do they have to be in a tire in order to read? I bought a set of Rubicon wheels, and tires=no TPMS light at 35PSI. I sold my original tires, and the guy didn't want the rims. He gave me back the rims, and handed me the five sensors he took off so they didn't get damaged. I put them in my pocket, and forgot about them. I drove around that afternoon with them in my pocket, no TPMS light.
If they're not mounted in the tire, they will be reading a low pressure, they have a battery in them. Weird....
I know it's been mentioned that they need to be "rolling", but that makes no sense for the spare, and there's no way for the sensor or the Jeep to tell if they are rolling, they simply send a pressure reading wirelessly.
Maybe if they read atmosphere, they shut off, or the Jeep ignores them....
Also, somewhere around 2010, they supposedly changed the frequency they operate at, so if the sensors are not compatible, they won't work....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.