TPMS fix? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > TPMS fix?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
JasonVideo
2013 JK Wrangler 

TPMS fix?

Ok. Get your jabs in, but I'm hoping for some help.

I was towing my JKUR behind the RV on a tow-dolly. I forgot to release the parking brake and blew out a tire and smoked the brake a bit. Put on the spare and now the TPMS is showing 0 psi of that wheel. I'm sure I fried something but don't know what to look at. Seems to drive fine with the spare. Anyone have a clue?

Yes I'm an idiot.

Unread 12-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonVideo View Post
Ok. Get your jabs in, but I'm hoping for some help.

I was towing my JKUR behind the RV on a tow-dolly. I forgot to release the parking brake and blew out a tire and smoked the brake a bit. Put on the spare and now the TPMS is showing 0 psi of that wheel. I'm sure I fried something but don't know what to look at. Seems to drive fine with the spare. Anyone have a clue?

Yes I'm an idiot.
Just guessing because it never happened to me.

If the tpms sensor in the spare is okay, then I would look at the sensor or sensor wiring in the caliper. Maybe you melted something.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
JasonVideo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Just guessing because it never happened to me.

If the tpms sensor in the spare is okay, then I would look at the sensor or sensor wiring in the caliper. Maybe you melted something.
Yes. We're home now. Plan on pulling the that brake off today to have a look. Just wondered what I should be looking for before I dive it.
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would drive it around for a bit with the spare on and the vehicle going under its own power so it can learn that the spare is on there now. It is still sensing the blown tire from what you described.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
JasonVideo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
I would drive it around for a bit with the spare on and the vehicle going under its own power so it can learn that the spare is on there now. It is still sensing the blown tire from what you described.
OK. I'll give it a try. Pretty sure I'll, at least, need new pads on that corner. Can't be good for the pads and rotor to be fully engaged at 65mph. Although from the looks of the tire, it wasn't rotating much. Just dragged a hole in it.
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

I don't know how to test the sensor in the caliper to be honest. Maybe somebody else can jump in here. I would check the connections and look for something obvious. To ensure the tire sensor is working, you could just swap 2 of the wheels around. When I put new wheels on my jk the tpms system recognized the new sensors within 3 blocks of driving.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

When you switch sensors around or put the spare on it will need to learn its position. Drive it around if you havent. Since you were towing the Jeep wasnt on so it couldnt. If it still isnt acknowledged then Id look at the woring around the affected wheel(s).
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
JasonVideo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yep. Drove it a little more and it reset itself. Thanks everyone.

Tags
monitor , pressure , psi , tire , tpms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.