Towing a trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing a trailer

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
FLHTCUI05
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Towing a trailer

New here. Hello to everyone. Hope to learn alot. Sorry if this has been ask before, but does anyone tow an enclosed trailer with a Wrangler? My trailer with my motorcycle loaded probably weights in at 1800 lbs. I know the Wrangler is rated at 2000 lbs towing. Would only be towing about 1000 miles a year when I go on vacation and take the bike. Thanks for your help.

FLHTCUI05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTCUI05 View Post
New here. Hello to everyone. Hope to learn alot. Sorry if this has been ask before, but does anyone tow an enclosed trailer with a Wrangler? My trailer with my motorcycle loaded probably weights in at 1800 lbs. I know the Wrangler is rated at 2000 lbs towing. Would only be towing about 1000 miles a year when I go on vacation and take the bike. Thanks for your help.
Your Wrangler, or Wranglers in general?

3.21 gears = 1,000 lbs., 2dr and 4dr.

3.73 and 4.10 gears = 2,000 lbs. for the 2dr, and 3,500 lbs. for the 4dr.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
FLHTCUI05
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wranglers in general. 3.73 gears with tow pkg. 2 dr Wrangler. All stock.
FLHTCUI05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
MarkBevans
2007 JK Wrangler 

It will tow fine, just get ready for a decrease in fuel economy 5 mpg +/-.

And losing about 30 Hamsters that reside in your engine........

I tow all the time with my 6speed Rubicon with 35's. My 5x8 trailer with motorcycles, it works fine, it just loses power and mileage.......
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBevans View Post
It will tow fine, just get ready for a decrease in fuel economy 5 mpg +/-.

And losing about 30 Hamsters that reside in your engine........

I tow all the time with my 6speed Rubicon with 35's. My 5x8 trailer with motorcycles, it works fine, it just loses power and mileage.......
x 2. Seems to be a pretty good overall analysis of what you can expect. You will be fine towing it though. I wouldn't have any worries at all. Later down the road if you start doing some mods, then you can adjust for some of the power loss when choosing a new gear ratio should you ever do that.
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you have a Automatic its a good idea to invest in a tranny cooler, the stock on is junk.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
If you have a Automatic its a good idea to invest in a tranny cooler, the stock on is junk.
X2

I've towed this thing about 11,000 or 12,000 miles; it's a 2,000 pound brick when loaded. I've had the trans overheat 3 times so far and have to wait on the side of the road a while.
I'm still contemplating which trans cooler; I'd rather have the dealer do it under warranty though.

4.56 gears, 33" tires, autotrans:

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
miked2905
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2 door X, just flat towed a YJ about two hours. She did fine.

Tags
JK Wrangler , questions , towing , towing capacity , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.