Towing Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing Question

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
TampaJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Towing Question

I have a 2008 JK (2 door) with the 3.21 gears. It is rated for 1000 pounds. I now find myself wanting a small fishing boat. From the boats I am looking at, I need to be able to tow about 2000 pounds. I live less than a mile from the boat ramp.

Would I be able to pull 2000 pounds for such a short distance over flat ground without any serious harm to my jeep?

What would I have to do to increase my towing capacity to 2000 pounds? My jeep is currently stock. I am not totally against regearing as I plan on adding a lift and bigger tires in a year or so. I am guessing a transmission cooler and new gears? Anything else? What do you estimate the total cost to be?

Thanks

TampaJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
NorthRiver

Hook it up and go.

Manuals don't need a tranny cooler.
NorthRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
rennypogo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hey in Tampa!..... I go to Yankeetown,FL. from South Tampa evey other weekend in my JK 2dr. pulling a trailer(5x8) loaded with a Polaris Ranger on the Sun Coast Parkway and run 70mph with no problems.I would say anything under 3,000 lbs would be good to go.
rennypogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

Go ahead and tow it. Regear when you buy bigger tires.
Grinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
TampaJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. Do you think it would be safe for longer trips too, or just the 1 mile to my local boat ramp?
TampaJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

you won't like long trips w/ this vehicle/combo towing that big a load....
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
russ1436
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't think the issue is gearing or power. The issue is wheel base. Because the jeep is short it's not stable pulling weight and could jackknife when trying to stop.

I've also read that cooling can be an issue when towing a lot of weight and not great for your tranny. I reckon you'd be fine over short distances if you take it easy, but I sure wouldn't want to drive any great distances pulling weight that isn't recommended. Jeep don't recommend such pathetically low tow ratings for fun, but for safety.
russ1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ1436 View Post
I don't think the issue is gearing or power. The issue is wheel base. Because the jeep is short it's not stable pulling weight and could jackknife when trying to stop.
True on the lackknife comment, but actually most of the issue IS gearing and power. With the relatively light boat you're talking about getting, you won't have a jackknife problem even with the 2-door and no trailer brakes. I know this from actual experience.

No doubt, your jeep is going to be a dog towing that load. I tow a 17ft fiberglass runabout with a 4cyl 3.0L I/O. Basically the lightest runabout you can imagine. My jeep is a 2010 6sp manual 2-door w/3.73 gears and towing package. And it's a dog, especially when it's 90 degrees out and the engine has trouble making power. Yours will be worse with 3.21's. You'll be OK. You won't hurt your Jeep. But it's really only good for the one mile to the launch.
Grinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
rennypogo
2008 JK Wrangler 

3.21 gears with a manual trans. is fine.Once you get above 1800 rpm's it pulls fine.This whole gearing and overheating thing has been overated.Just go have fun and don't worry it's a Jeep and there tough as hell!
rennypogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capacity , JK Wrangler , questions , towing , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.