Towing front bumper for JK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing front bumper for JK?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 01-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

Towing front bumper for JK?

Looking at an '11 JK and would need to tow it behind my RV. I like the setup on my CJ with a Body Armor rock bumper with shackle brackets that work with my A frame. Anyone out there add a front rock bumper to trick up the JK that also negates the need for a towing baseplate? I refuse to pay over $800 for a fancy towarm only to have to also add an ugly baseplate.

Unread 01-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
saceone

maybe it's just me but I'd slap that baby on a trailer!!
saceone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

JKs make for awesome toads. There are a couple of members here who are using the JK as a toad. Do a quick search of the JK forum and I am sure they will come up.

A trailer is a PITA because many campgrounds charge extra for the storage, plus your fuel economy goes down the toilet if the trailer weighs anything at all. An aluminum trailer helps, but the cost is triple that of a steel trailer.

While I cant argue the logic and convenience of owning a trailer, setting up your Jeep to flat tow is worlds easier.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Tom55
2008 JK Wrangler 

I tow my 08 behind my motor home, I have a blue ox base plate with a stock front bumper. Would like to change to a after market front bumper with a winch and keep the blue ox base plate. Does anyone has any ideas.
Tom55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Crasher
1997 ZJ 

I have the Rock Hard full width bumper. For $65 more, I bought their Blue Ox tow brackets that use 2 of the 4 mounting bolts on each side. My Blue Ox tow bar pins to it. It's simple and looks great. I hook the safety cables to the shackle weldments that are on the bumper. Plug in the wiring and it's ready to go.
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Igiveup
2007 JK Wrangler 

I retained the stock bumper and built my own attachment setup. All you can see with the towbar off is a receiver hitch tube back under the bumper on each side of the frame. It's really not very noticeable. I used 2" tubes because I attach a hitch bar to the front to push my boat and trailers around. If you used the 1 1/4" tubes they would hardly show. I also have a winch mounted on the Rough Country winch mount.
Igiveup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Currie makes a skid plate/air dam replacement bracket with tow attachment points incorporated. They offer a complete JK towing kit as well, which includes the bracket and their tow bar.

I have on in the garage but haven't gotten around to installing it on my wife's JKU.

For my JKU I had AEV weld up a bar with a 2" reciever and Currie style bar attachment points that bolts to AEV's front bumper.

Here is a photo of the AEV bar:

Hope this helps.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the new Body Armor bumper...I am going to buy the Warrior collapsable tow bar and hook it to the d-ring mounts via either the body armor d-ring adaptors or the body armor ones...one uses bolts the other cotter pins...haven't decided which I am going to buy yet...but this is the route I am headed...I used to use a roadmaster system, but it limited uses with aftermarket bumpers...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.