Towing Capacity - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing Capacity

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 07-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

It's not what you can tow safely
It’s what you can STOP safely
Anyone can over tow but when SHTF are you going to be able to handle your load and stop in a safe manner.

MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchappy View Post
It's not what you can tow safely
Itís what you can STOP safely
Anyone can over tow but when SHTF are you going to be able to handle your load and stop in a safe manner.
Starting...towing...stopping... It's all part of the picture.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
mello

Probably 90% of the public just worries about if vehicle can move load not if it can stop it. People assume if it can tow it then it can stop and that is far from the truth.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
Cmp8254
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the replies! So is it safe to say we are al in agreement that my rig is rated at 2,000, but with higher gear ratio, it could be increased to 3,5000?
Cmp8254 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

IMO yes it can be as long as the gears are correct. I just purchased a cargo trailer for my 2011 JKU (Rubicon) and my 2 Harleys . I installed a 7-pin connector with Brakes and when I purchased my trailer I order it with the Electric Brake upgrades as well, granted I have a 7x12 Single Axle Dry is 1,300lbs 2x HD's and I'm at 2,500lbs so no issues. I also took the time and installed a bigger transmission cooler as well and soon probably an oil cooler as well as added perks to ensure safety and such. And if you lift your vehicle the center of gravity shifts so a drop hitch would be needed along with more concern about load/weight placement and such. thats .02
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
Alaska-HWY JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmp8254 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies! So is it safe to say we are al in agreement that my rig is rated at 2,000, but with higher gear ratio, it could be increased to 3,5000?
Check your zeros.
Alaska-HWY JK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Town 5800 in my jku from backyard to front yard moving our travel trailer of 33' tandem axle
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #23
Downwindtracker

After towing many thousands of miles with a XJ Cherokee, I've learned a few things, mostly the hard way. Any trailer more than 25% of the tow Jeep weight should have brakes, more than 33% must have brakes. Trailer sway can be a problem and lift with it's higher CG will NOT help, but heavier rear springs and shocks will. And it's not just the trailer weight, but the frontal area that limits.
Downwindtracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #24
KurtieR

I have towed a 20 foot Seadoo Boat with my 13 JKU all summer long. It does not have the max tow and is rated at 2000lbs max capacity due to the 3.21 gears. I installed some 33s and a 3" BDS lift and it tows the boat nicer than my buddy's avalanche! The BDS springs are much stiffer than stock and when the boat sits on it they level right out. Boat/trailer/gear is well over 3000lbs and I have had zero issues when starting/stopping! The tow numbers are very conservative, and in the end the lift is going to help!
KurtieR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
xSoFx
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtieR View Post
I have towed a 20 foot Seadoo Boat with my 13 JKU all summer long. It does not have the max tow and is rated at 2000lbs max capacity due to the 3.21 gears. I installed some 33s and a 3" BDS lift and it tows the boat nicer than my buddy's avalanche! The BDS springs are much stiffer than stock and when the boat sits on it they level right out. Boat/trailer/gear is well over 3000lbs and I have had zero issues when starting/stopping! The tow numbers are very conservative, and in the end the lift is going to help!
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

I don't even want to get started on why the +2012 auto JKU's with 3.21's can't tow 3500 pounds. I think it is a rip-off....but whatever. The tow rating was the main reason why I opted for 3.73's.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm guessing vehicle tow capacity is based on wheel base, gears, horsepower, torque and what the trans will allow.

A lift kit doesn't affect any of those. Breaking is another consideration
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
I'm guessing vehicle tow capacity is based on wheel base, gears, horsepower, torque and what the trans will allow.

A lift kit doesn't affect any of those. Breaking is another consideration
You are correct. A lift kit doesn't affect any of the items you listed.
I'm sure there are a few more items. too.
You don't think a higher center of gravity from being lifted will affect the rated tow capacity?
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #29
SubAtomicGenius
2011 JK Wrangler 

The lift doesn't change your rating. There are several factors that can effect a towing rating, including: brakes/brake system, tire load rating, differential, transmission, chassis, drivetrain, etc. In this case, none of these have changed.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Oh well. Not much else can be said about it, then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.