Towing Capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing Capacity

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Cmp8254
2012 JK Wrangler 

Towing Capacity

I have a 2012 JKU sport with 3.21 gears, automatic transmission and have read that the towing capacity is 2,000 lbs. Assuming this is accurate, does the fact that I have a 2.5" lift make a difference in capacity?

Cmp8254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I haven't seen anything official, but I would think a lift will lower the tow capacity because of the higher center of gravity.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

not an expert, but if you used a drop hitch, i think you would fine.
pentastarguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Cmp8254
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick response! Do you guys think I could tow a little more and be fine? I realize the insurance ramifications if I get into an accident...
Cmp8254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
BOBICON
2008 JK Wrangler 

By JKU you mean the unlimited (4 door) correct? All unlimiteds have a towing capacity of 3500. If you lift and put on larger tires you may need to re-gear especially in a towing situation with 3.21s. Lifting does cause some instability but some type of sway control will really help. Also when towing, if electric brakes are on the trailer, a brake control sure is helpful.
BOBICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBICON View Post
All unlimiteds have a towing capacity of 3500.
3.21 gears limits the tow capacity on the 4dr.

In the 2012 owner's manual, it says 1,000 lbs.
In the 2013 owner's manual, it says 2,000 lbs.

I suspect the 2012 owner's manual was a leftover spec from 2011, as the 2013 used to say the same, but has been updated to the 2,000 lb. figure.
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
BOBICON
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
3.21 gears limits the tow capacity on the 4dr.

In the 2012 owner's manual, it says 1,000 lbs.
In the 2013 owner's manual, it says 2,000 lbs.

I suspect the 2012 owner's manual was a leftover spec from 2011, as the 2013 used to say the same, but has been updated to the 2,000 lb. figure.
Right you are, so with a re-gear and a hitch on a 4-door should be able to increase max tow capacity to 3500 lbs.
BOBICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Alaska-HWY JK

Properly equipped means weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes also. 350 lbs max tongue weight.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
smanno
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBICON View Post
Right you are, so with a re-gear and a hitch on a 4-door should be able to increase max tow capacity to 3500 lbs.
I am not sure about the state you live in, but you can not tow more than the factory specs no matter what you do to it. Unless your state offers some sort of re-certification.
smanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smanno View Post
I am not sure about the state you live in, but you can not tow more than the factory specs no matter what you do to it. Unless your state offers some sort of re-certification.
You are partially correct. Nothing can be done to increase the max tow capacity.

However....

Going from 3.21 to 3.73 or 4.10 gears does increase the tow capacity of the 4dr from 2,000 lbs. to the max tow capacity of 3,500 lbs., because that's all it takes, according to the owner's manual.
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
smanno
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You are partially correct. Nothing can be done to increase the max tow capacity.

However....

Going from 3.21 to 3.73 or 4.10 gears does increase the tow capacity of the 4dr from 2,000 lbs. to the max tow capacity of 3,500 lbs., because that's all it takes, according to the owner's manual.
I agree with what you are saying except that does not change the tag on the Jeep which states what your towing capacity is. If the tag states 2000lbs then that is all you can tow no matter what you do to your vehicle.
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #12
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying except that does not change the tag on the Jeep which states what your towing capacity is. If the tag states 2000lbs then that is all you can tow no matter what you do to your vehicle.
What tag are you referring to?
Registration? There is no reference to tow capacity on my JK's registration. (Maybe some states have that?)
Stickers on the B pillar? No reference to tow capacity there.
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #13
smanno
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What tag are you referring to?
Registration? There is no reference to tow capacity on my JK's registration. (Maybe some states have that?)
Stickers on the B pillar? No reference to tow capacity there.
I will admit that I have not looked at my JK specifically but every truck I have ever own and trailed with has a tag in on the inside door pillar which states GVWR which is the weight of the vehicle plus payload and GCWR which is the combined weight of the vehicle plus trailer. Subtract these amounts and you will find your tow capacity. If you get pulled over by a cop towing what appears to be too much weight this is the tag he/she will check to find out what the OEM rated the vehicle at when it left the factory, ie 2000lbs or 3500lbs. Even if you regear, upgrade shocks, or upgrade springs your GCWR will not change. Again I will check the JK when I leave work this morning, but I am sure it has the tag. I know people who have de-rated their trucks in PA because they can charge you additional fees for registration and Turnpike fees depending your weight class. If I am wrong about the JK, then I have learned something new.
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I will admit that I have not looked at my JK specifically but every truck I have ever own and trailed with has a tag in on the inside door pillar which states GVWR which is the weight of the vehicle plus payload and GCWR which is the combined weight of the vehicle plus trailer. Subtract these amounts and you will find your tow capacity. If you get pulled over by a cop towing what appears to be too much weight this is the tag he/she will check to find out what the OEM rated the vehicle at when it left the factory, ie 2000lbs or 3500lbs. Even if you regear, upgrade shocks, or upgrade springs your GCWR will not change. Again I will check the JK when I leave work this morning, but I am sure it has the tag. I know people who have de-rated their trucks in PA because they can charge you additional fees for registration and Turnpike fees depending your weight class. If I am wrong about the JK, then I have learned something new.
No reference to GCWR on the stickers on my JK's B pillar.

Maybe there is on the later JKs?
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've never seen GCWR on any sticker. Only in the manual. It doesn't mean some dont have it but I have never seen it.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.