Towing a boat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing a boat

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 01-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
jkrgv

Towing a boat

I have 08 unlimited, auto, 4x4, k&n cold air intake, superchip programmer, modified exhaust. Looking to tow a 18' pontoon boat with a weight of 2000lb. So I'm looking for anyone who has towed something of similar weight and shape. And if it's going to be a problem? Thanks in advance!

jkrgv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Twocylinder
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thats only 1/2 what its rated, less trailer and gear in the boat.....
Your good to go

Long hauls Trans cooler...
SWEEEET!
Twocylinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
jkrgv

I'm going to definitely put a cooler, had an issue once on my ford ranger with a 3.0 pulling a boat. Got hot and blew fluid out of front pump seal.
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
theredmonster
2012 JK Wrangler 

should be fine. pulled our 25ft long and 5500 pound camper on a 2 1/2 hour trip one way with no problem. thats with the old 08 jku not our 11s we have
Unread 01-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
JK4Three
2009 JK Wrangler 

I recently bought a highwall Chalet A-Frame pop-up, a little over 2000# loaded. I don't even know it's back there (just kidding, but it seems everyone says that). I definately know it's back there, but it has been a surprisingly easy tow and I don't have the electric brakes connected yet. Haven't been up the local mountains yet, but through the hills it holds 65 mph fine downshifting in the 3-4k rpm range (auto) on the steeper ones. With a single axle and standard hitch I thought it would bounce the back end some, but it doesn't.
JK4Three is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
jkrgv

In south Texas we have constant wind, going toward the coast and wind pushing on the way back. Maybe if a put a cover over it when towing will lessen the drag. Maybe a wind deflector on the hardtop may help. Removable of course!
Unread 01-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

What gears do you have?
Unread 01-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
jkrgv

Stock gears, it's auto and 4x4. I've modified with a superchip programmer at 93 octane setting(makes a big difference). K&n cold air and modified exhaust. I'm assuming 3.73
Unread 01-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

It will be fine, but if you want easier towing, figure out what tire size you plan on staying with and then regear accordingly. JK's are notoriously under geared, especially 2007-2011 automatics.

Generally accepted recommendations for different tire sizes for automatic 2007-2011's are as follows:

32"..........4.10 or 4.56
33"..........4.56
35"..........5.13
37"..........5.38

Not only will it have more get up and go and tow better, the transmission will not work as hard. It will also alleviate gear hunting, over revving, and other common annoyances.
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

You should be fine, but I think the trans cooler is a great idea. i put one in mine and I don't even tow just a piece of mind thing
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
jkrgv

Will the superchip "towing" program help. I have 285/65/18 tires
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #12
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

My boat with stock 4.10

Now my 18' camper: I do have E brakes, a tow sway bar and a Trans cooler.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.