Towing a 2012 or newer 4 wheels down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing a 2012 or newer 4 wheels down

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Roll

Towing a 2012 or newer 4 wheels down

I have moved the baseplate from our 2010 Wrangler to the 2012 Wrangler. We tow the Jeep four wheels down. I read somewhere that you no longer have to leave the key in the "on" position with the 2012s. That the wheel no longer locks in position which is the reason you need to leave the key in the ignition in "on" in the 2010 Jeep. Since you don't have to leave the key on, you also don't have to remove a battery cable when towing, (i.e. worry about the battery discharging).

Anyone know? If I don't need to leave the key on, I don't need to disconnect the battery and it makes the entire hook up and unhook process easier.

BTW, the owners manual has the same instructions in it that the 2010 does however, clearly, the wheel is not locking up when the jeep is off and the key removed.

Roll

Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Correct. Mid year 08, Jeep removed the steering lock. You do not have to disconnect your battery.
When we tow the 07, I lift up the IOD fuse, leave key in acc position.
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Partially correct. You completely remove the key after placing transfer in N and shifter in P.

In 11 the owners manual says discon - 12 i can find no mention HOWEVER:

You SHOULD disconnect the battery - assuming you are using the dinghy's lights (with diodes) for signalling. If using external lights no problems.

Of course this also assumes you are using a brake system (any towed veh over 2500 lbs GVWR needs control and breakaway in most states). The reason you discon is that when the brake system applies the dingy's brakes - it's steady brake light signal will overrun the turn interrupted signal from the tow vehicle - so your turn signals will not work while braking.
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've towed about 10k miles without disconnecting the battery. Mmmm. I use a cooltech harness for lights and a ready brute / ready brake tow bar setup. If you don't have the key in ACC position why disconnect the battery? Where's the drain? Remove the M1 fuse to fix the interrupted brake light problem
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
I've towed about 10k miles without disconnecting the battery. Mmmm. I use a cooltech harness for lights and a ready brute / ready brake tow bar setup. If you don't have the key in ACC position why disconnect the battery? Where's the drain? Remove the M1 fuse to fix the interrupted brake light problem
I have at least that many miles towing my jeep too, I never disconnect the battery either...I just pull the IOD fuse...no worries
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
resharp001

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
Remove the M1 fuse to fix the interrupted brake light problem
+1.....This is the answer. Without the M1 fuse the brake lights will not illuminate when the ignition is off. If you forget to put it back in once you arrive at your destination, the regular brake lights will still work when the ignition is on, but you're 3rd light will not. I roll like this 100% of the time as I have no 3rd light currently due to the 35" spare on the back. My lights are wired with diodes and I use a Blue Ox Patriot brake as my supplemental. Works like a charm and is so much easier than disconnecting a battery. Takes me under 5 minutes to hook up by myself and be ready to roll.
resharp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Great! Thanks. However we still disconnect because I placed a remote disconnect (nhra style) so my 70 yo mother can hitch/unhitch without having to open the hood or pull any fuses - just pull the t-handle located under the right front park/turn light.

How do you like that ready brake Rick? I use even brake and LOVE it - the engagement is so subtle that half the time I can stop it without engagement.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.