Tow/Wiring Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tow/Wiring Question

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRuffstuff 10 year saleRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-14-2016, 04:28 AM   #1
jhursh
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tow/Wiring Question

I just got a trailer with electric brakes, I have a 2012 JK w/towing package. Has anyone installed the Genuine Jeep Accessories 82210214AB Trailer Tow Wiring Harness? I was wondering if I could keep the 4 pin and what is the gauge of the wire? I am installing the Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control to control the brakes on the trailer. thx Jim

jhursh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Amtrack
2015 JK Wrangler 

I would not tamper with the OEM 4-Flat Wire Receptacle. Install the optional 7-Wire Receptacle Wiring Kit as per the step by step instructions as a stand-alone unit. Be prepared and have plenty of patience. Also be certain that the brake controller is suitable for a four brake system.
Amtrack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
Michel347

4 pins with brake control ? I don't think, a 4 pin adapter is only +/- 10 bucks.

If I remember I used 10 gauge.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...apter?a=538161
Unread 01-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
Neo1130
2015 JK Wrangler 

You can remove or keep the 4 way harness... It plugs in exactly how the 7 way harness will and just piggy backs off the factory harness just as the 4 way does... You can still have them plugged into each other at the same time with no issues.

Route it exactly how they show in the instructions and you'll come out with the perfect amount of wire to hook up at the battery...

When you hook the brake controller up to the battery, use a self-resetting circuit breaker. NOT a fuse...

I installed my harness without a lift... I was completely stock and able to get under and route everything just fine... When you get to the front of the vehicle, you may run out of places to tie the harness to... Keep it away from the exhaust and any fluid lines and you'll be fine...
Neo1130 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
jhursh
2012 JK Wrangler 

thx everyone, yes Michael347, the 4-pin will not, I purchased the optional 7 pin harness frm Jeep (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00) and Brake Controller (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00) and ckt breaker (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00). I just wanted to know the gauge of wire if someone already had installed the Jeep 82210214AB Trailer Tow Wiring Harness.
jhursh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
Neo1130
2015 JK Wrangler 

I want to say it's a mix... Which wire were you thinking of specifically and what are you doing? All the wires should be good to go and not have to do ANYTHING really except wire up your brake controller, which I would use 14AWG...
Unread 01-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Michel347

14 AWG is really the minimum I would use, usually they say 12 AWG for single axle and 10 for dual axle.
Unread 01-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel347 View Post
14 AWG is really the minimum I would use, usually they say 12 AWG for single axle and 10 for dual axle.
12 is what was in my fifth wheel add on harness for the F250... most fifths are dual axle if not dual braked - so would expect they anticipated this?
Unread 01-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
Neo1130
2015 JK Wrangler 

I guess I am just lost as to why he needs to know the gauge wire used because everything needed is right in the harness if he is indeed using the Mopar one... No need to add anything anywhere except for running power to the controller....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.