Tow weight rating - how important? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tow weight rating - how important?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #16
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmarion
Here is what I do not understand. How does a Jeep liberty have a higher towing capacity than the new Wrangler, 5000lbs to 3500 lbs.? They have a similar engines with similar outputs in HP and torque, the Wrangler has a longer wheelbase by 12. The Wrangler has a 112 wheelbase vs. 104 for the Liberty. The Wrangler has a wider track width by 2, and is a body on frame design while the Liberty has a uni-body construction. The Wrangler also has a stronger rear axle.
According to Jeep.com, the base curb weight of the Liberty is 3771lbs and the base curb weight of the Wrangler is 3976lbs. The weight distribution is approx. the same (48% / 52%, front/rear).

I honestly do not know why the Liberty is rated for 5,000lbs vs the Wrangler at 3,500lbs. That will be something that I ask the Jeep Engineers next time I chat with them.

• Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #17
POWERZ
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid
According to Jeep.com, the base curb weight of the Liberty is 3771lbs and the base curb weight of the Wrangler is 3976lbs. The weight distribution is approx. the same (48% / 52%, front/rear).

I honestly do not know why the Liberty is rated for 5,000lbs vs the Wrangler at 3,500lbs. That will be something that I ask the Jeep Engineers next time I chat with them.
Please do! I have been trying to get an answer for a long time...
POWERZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.