Tow weight rating - how important? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tow weight rating - how important?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
jeepers3

Tow weight rating - how important?

Last edited by jeepers3; 05-23-2007 at 01:07 PM..
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Do either of them have their own brakes?
Unread 02-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
luckyjeeper

I personally believe that with a lot of care and experience driving, a jeep will pull 5000lbs. Stopping and controlling it is another matter all together. The longer wheel base of the unlimiteds will greatly help that, but that's why the rating is 3500 on unlimiteds and only 2000 on SWB. Personally, I'd not pull more than 2500 on my SWB, so that would put you at about 4000.

how much is that thing going to weight when you have it fully loaded btw?

electric brakes on the trailer would help. A weight dist. hitch would greatly improve sway and control. That tongue weight may be the clincher tho!

Anyone else with experience with this on a JK 4dr?
[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][B]Virescit Vulnere Virtus[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
luckyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
TexasChopper

If you are planning on a lift in the future.....I pulled my 6X10 enclosed trailer with 2 dirt bikes and gear over the weekend, and let say me it was a handfull. Both hands on the wheel. I would say total weight of the trailer loaded is 2000lbs. I do not have brakes on it, but just going down the road and through the backroads it was tough. I should add I don't have the Unlimited as you do... 2DR 6spd, 4.10's..and 35's
TexasChopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
jeepers3

Last edited by jeepers3; 05-23-2007 at 01:16 PM..
Unread 02-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
No interest at all in ever putting on a lift or bigger tires. I figure well-paid, highly-educated engineers know more than I do about suspension and gears and handling and such and would prefer to leave my vehicle's basic design to those who know a lot more than I do (:

You should take your own advice when it comes to the towing capacity of your vehicle then. The same group of engineers came up with these limits and, I am sure, for good reason.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Towing capacity vs factory limits is also a common topic over on the Super Duty forums.

The general consensus is just because it will tow the load doesn't mean it's safe or legal. Main concern is in case of accident if it's found you're over the rated capacity of the vehicle you open yourself up to the potential of expensive legal liability issues.

It probably will move/stop it OK, heck I used to tow a 21' commercial lobster boat with my stock '61 Willys wagon, not the smartest thing I ever did but I got there and back. Today I'm older and wiser and wouldn't take the chance, probably better to downgrade a bit and stay legal.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Government of Alberta DOT webiste
Is there a limit to what I can tow behind my car? Can I tow more if I have a bigger vehicle?
Whenever your vehicle is being operated on a highway in Alberta, you, as its owner and/or operator, are responsible to ensure that it is in safe operating condition, including being safely loaded. Your vehicle manufacturer assigned it three ratings: a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), a Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) for each axle, and a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR), which is sometimes expressed as a maximum trailer towing capacity. The GVWR is the maximum weight that your vehicle may weigh on its own wheels, the GAWR is the maximum weight that an individual axle may carry, the GCWR is the maximum combined weight of both your vehicle and any trailer it may tow, and the maximum trailer towing capacity is the maximum trailer weight that your unloaded vehicle may tow. Both the GVWR and the GAWR appear on the manufacturer's final compliance label found on the inside area of the driver's door. The GCWR or maximum trailer towing capacity may be found in the owner's manual. Note that the GCWR, or the maximum trailer towing capacity, may change with different drive train combinations, specifically different engines, transmissions and differential ratios. If the GCWR or maximum trailer towing capacity is not in your owner's manual, you will have to contact your vehicle's manufacturer. Do not exceed your vehicle's manufacturer assigned ratings; exceeding your vehicle's assigned weight rating is an unsafe practice.
According to this, it would be a better choice to purchase the lighter trailer and err on the safe side than to get the heavier one which could put you over-limit and into dangerous situations.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
nierace
2003 WJ 

It definately would not be a fun ride for a long trip. Doing local things you could get away with it...
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i think going almost a 1,000 lbs over the max capacity is pushing it too much

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
jeepers3

Evolution E2 weight limits: loaded vs unloaded

Unread 02-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
luckyjeeper

I just noticed that it says in the hitch reciever information:
3,500-lb tow rating, 350-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment; otherwise 2000-lb tow rating, 200-lb tongue weight rating, 2" opening, Same as Production, Hitch Ball and ball mount sold separately.

Does your trailer come with the weight distributing tongue? I remember we used to haul horses with a ford explorer that used this and it helped with the sway, control and tongue weight.

Those numbers (weights) you quoted above sound much more doable. I would suspect you won't have any troubles. Just take care, be safe, right?

good thread!!
[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][B]Virescit Vulnere Virtus[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
luckyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
jeepers3

Unread 02-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #14
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
In other news - this trailer has electric brakes, so I have been reading up on that too. It seems you need some kind of electric brake controller installed in the Jeep. Does anyone know anything about this with respect to the 2007 Wrangler? Anyone done it? Recommendations?
The electronic brake controller would be something that the trailer-dealership would be able to provide and install correctly for towing that trailer. Most hitch-shops will be able to do the same thing.

You can ask at your dealership where you bought the Jeep if they have some kind of deal for hitch and wiring to be installed for a standard 7-pole system (like they put onto Grand Cherokees).

Hope this guides you in the right direction for safe towing!

You might also want to check out our Tow-Rigs / trailering section here at JeepForum for more general answers too your questions as well.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #15
jeffmarion
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is what I do not understand. How does a Jeep liberty have a higher towing capacity than the new Wrangler, 5000lbs to 3500 lbs.? They have a similar engines with similar outputs in HP and torque, the Wrangler has a longer wheelbase by 12. The Wrangler has a 112 wheelbase vs. 104 for the Liberty. The Wrangler has a wider track width by 2, and is a body on frame design while the Liberty has a uni-body construction. The Wrangler also has a stronger rear axle.
jeffmarion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.