Tow Package only 3500 LBS instead of 5000 LBS - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tow Package only 3500 LBS instead of 5000 LBS

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #31
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Notice I put the towing mention to stay not WAY off... lol.

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #32
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Notice I put the towing mention to stay not WAY off... lol.
Sure did plus no names either, very clever.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #33
cphilip
2010 JK Wrangler 

It appears that the JK has a towing capacity of 4500 pounds when it lands in Australia... and I know of little difference between the chassis and brake etc. Sure, they have diesel option. But even the gas model down under seems to rate a 4500 pound towing capacity.
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #34
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Their regs are a bit looser than ours - have you seen the weight limits on their TRUCKS - my lord driving beside one of them bad boys is three time scarier than anything in US - especially when ya aint used to driving on the wrong side of the road (all the time - lol)!
They have FAR fewer personal injury lawsuits also from what I understand talking to the locals (state medical coverage so no you hurt me I sue syndrome).

I'm not even sure wher to begin researching the difference though.

but their law states :
In the case where a motor vehicle manufacturer has not specified a maximum towing mass, the limit is stated to be:

1.5 times the unladen or kerb mass of the motor vehicle if the trailer is fitted with brakes; or

The unloaded mass of the motor vehicle if the trailer is not fitted with brakes.

That COULD be part of it as the JK "mass" is right around there! (but funny thing is brakes are required around 750Kg (1560 lbs) well under our average 2500!
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #35
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Yes, because everyone can fund a fleet of personal vehicles and a place to park them.....
If towing is a primary reason and concern for buying a new vehicle, don't buy a JK. This is not it's strong point. By a truck with a diesel. That's what they do best.
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #36
cphilip
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Their regs are a bit looser than ours - have you seen the weight limits on their TRUCKS - my lord driving beside one of them bad boys is three time scarier than anything in US - especially when ya aint used to driving on the wrong side of the road (all the time - lol)!
They have FAR fewer personal injury lawsuits also from what I understand talking to the locals (state medical coverage so no you hurt me I sue syndrome).

I'm not even sure wher to begin researching the difference though.

but their law states :
In the case where a motor vehicle manufacturer has not specified a maximum towing mass, the limit is stated to be:

1.5 times the unladen or kerb mass of the motor vehicle if the trailer is fitted with brakes; or

The unloaded mass of the motor vehicle if the trailer is not fitted with brakes.

That COULD be part of it as the JK "mass" is right around there! (but funny thing is brakes are required around 750Kg (1560 lbs) well under our average 2500!
You could be on the right track to an explanation to the difference, in part, but the numbers they are giving are published by Ford. So they are specified by the manufacturer in that case.

I just don't know.
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #37
Tintinmascouche

It doesn't seem to be related to base wheel cause the Toyota Fj Cruiser as only 109 inch and 114 for the Wrangler and the Toyota can tow up to 5000 pound. I don't want to buy a big pick-up when i can find something like the Fj Cruiser that does the job.
Tintinmascouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #38
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Maybe the tongue weight on the back moves the JK's cg too far back, especially if the rear cargo area is loaded, compared to other vehicles that have a higher tow rating.

My JK in stock/unloaded configuration is only slightly heavier on the front, with a distribution of 52/48.
I believe most other vehicles are closer to 60/40.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #39
deltabravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
the highest the 2dr jk was rated at was 2,000 lbs, and the highest the 4dr jk was rated at was 3,500 lbs. 5,000 lbs never applied to the jk.
ditto.
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.