Total Cost for a 2" lift installed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Total Cost for a 2" lift installed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
bluect

Total Cost for a 2" lift installed

Guys I'm hoping someone more experienced can help me out. I'm getting a 2 or 2 1/2 inch lift. I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas on how much the total cost should be based on their actual expereince. I know a bit of it will depend on the type of lift I get. I will not be doing the work myself so I will need the install cost. Also, I'm looking for related costs such as wheel alignments or other costs that will be needed. This is going to sway my decision on what lift I go with. I also want to make sure I don't get ripped off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

bluect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
kubwa_jim
2007 JK Wrangler 

I can't help you with the cost of labor, but I do know that there should not be any additional costs. It will depend a little on whether or not this is merely a cosmetic lift/lift for mild wheeling; or if you will be really getting after it. If all you will be doing is mild wheeling, you can use a 2 inch coil spacer lift and retain your factory shocks. You will not need an alignment unless your steering wheel is off center. The actual alignment of your tires will not be altered in a way that requires correction. You will not need cam bolts, control arms, pitman arm drop, and if you don't want, you don't need to move your trackbar in the front or rear. Also, you will not need your brake lines extended. If you want, you can go ahead and install bump stop spacers, but if you will not be disconnecting your sway bar while off-roading, that is optional as well. The entire job for a simple poly spacer coil lift at the most basic level should not take a shop longer than an hour. I'm no super-mechanic, and I could do it in my garage with basic hand tools in an hour.

If you are going to be doing some crawling, there are a number of things that will be beneficial, that will bump the cost up.
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

thats going to be hard to say. so many varibles, what kit, labor cost etc. I can tell you here at the local Dealer(only game in town) the Mopar kit 2" for a Jk was about 1350 parts, 1000 labor, very high, i passed. working out a better deal on the parts now, labor i figure gets some friends and make it a Jeep party.
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
guarnibl
2009 JK Wrangler 

That's crazy high labor. 2" lift shouldn't be more than 6 hours of labor. Even at $125 per hour which is pretty standard non-negotiated (i.e., you're a *******) labor rate here in Phoenix that's only $750. I believe my friend had his AEV 3.5" kit installed for $525 total at the dealer.
guarnibl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
bluect

Thanks for the responses. I know this will be all over the place depending on what I get. Maybe I should have asked this another way. Assuming I have a budget of about $1200 what do you think would be the best lift to get. This jeep is at my weekend house. I won't put more than 3,000 miles a year on it. I don't do any wheeling now but I also didn't do any drag racing until I bought my first mustang. I don't really need anything for serious off-roading just enough to get me started. We all now half the phone of this stuff is upgrading and tweaking what you have. I'm just looking for a fair price and a decent product.
Thanks
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

That budget for tires too? what year model Jeep? For most part a stock Jeep with good tires will go along way down the trails. keep them 2-2.5's(trail ratings) stockers do fine. Perhaps take the stocker out for some rides on trails and find out if its something you want to "Build for". The list of wants will grow, sway disconnects is a cheep mode that has a BIg bang for little bucks, Lockers are great though expensive, if you have a RUBI you have these now and that Jeep will take you on harder trails right out of the box. Pluss adding lifts and about all the other things wont add value in the end a stock Jeep sells best when that time comes too.
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
bluect

The jeep is a 07 JK X. I have a death wobble so I am going to have a shop near me that specializes in jeeps take a look at it. They say they have fixed 100's of them. I figure since I'm doing that I might as well have the lift done also. While I might do some wheeling with it the lift is more for looks right now. I realize if I get into wheeling I will probably want a lot of other mods and I am ok with that even if it means a different lift down the line. What I'm really looking for is what people have paid for different types of lifts installed so I can get a sense of what a fair price is when I talk to the shop about it. I am trying to avoid paying $1200 for a cheap lift that should be $800 installed because I don't know any better.
Unread 12-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Jeffro3000
2010 JK Wrangler 

The Old Man Emu kit is only shocks and springs. It was $850+/- to my door. I got a local shop to swap them out for $200 cash.
Jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Your o7 Jk is at stock height now/ stock tires? I am guessing. depending on what going on with the wobble, you may be fixing something that may or may not be replaced with the new lift. Though if you do not fix whats wrong and then add a lift that happens to NOT replace that part then things will get worse. Cheep lifts can add to DW, mostly it is do the change of caster angle, a good lift will have the abilty to set the angle with adustable arms or a bracket or even special bolts. I like the adjustible arms but hese are the more expensive of the lifts. Spring quality is a big issue too, many cheep lifts with springs are going to sag in year or so. Cheep shocks off road die fast. trouble is lifts done right are not cheep, Cheep and Jeep just dont live on the same block.
Unread 12-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
bluect

Thanks for all the info so far. The jeep is 100% stock so far including tires. I understand the lift may or may not fix the problem with the death wobble. I have done a lot of research on the DW and I am comfortable between the knowledge I have gained from that research and the fact that this shop has been working on jeeps for over 10 years and have fixed a bunch of DWs we should be able to figure it out. What i don't want to do is get ripped off or put a low quality lift on that will just be another problem. Cheap and poor qaulity are two different things. I am not trying to be cheap I am just trying to spend the appropriate amount of a good quality lift that will hold up with mostly on road driving and maybe 1 or 2 trips off road. If I start doing a real bit of wheeling I'm fine with changing to a more appropriate lift.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.