Topless Options for 4 door JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Topless Options for 4 door JK

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 12-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
FracEngineer
2007 JK Wrangler 

Topless Options for 4 door JK

Ok so now that my JK is protected from vandals thieves and other scum of the earth types in my garage, i have made the decision to remove the soft top permanently. But i still want to drive it during the seasons here in North TX. I have the DirtyDog 4x4 sun shade its awesome but does not provide moisture protection if a rain/snow front arrives while I am out enjoying my Jeep.

So I am really looking at options that fellow JF members use on their Jeeps for all season protection alternatives to the Freedom Top and Factory Soft-Top. Best Top makes dusters and wind jammers and tonneau covers, so if you run this set up post some pics. And please let me know the functionality of each piece.

I am sure in a freak downpour they leak because honestly my factory soft top leaked as well, but in normal everyday driving conditions what do you like and dislike about your set up?

Thanks Guys / Gals for your input

FracEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
je1330
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm here with you in north Texas too man, 28 degrees on my 6am drive to work this morning with no top or doors!

Of course, they'll be going back on tomorrow, but still, TOPLESS IN DECEMBER!

If you aren't ever wanting to put it back on, more power to you!

-- jason
je1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
FracEngineer
2007 JK Wrangler 

I just like the jeep with out a top call me crazy!!! I have a company truck to drive if the weather is real bad and my fiancee's car is always an option too. I really like the look of the Besttop duster but kinda scared it will sag and flap on the highway. Has anyone had good luck with these? Probably gonna hit up 4WD this week sometime and treat myself to some early Christmas goodies!!!!
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
FracEngineer
2007 JK Wrangler 

je1330, you are a brave man with no doors on this morning haha much respect to you!!!
Unread 12-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
angrymuffin
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by je1330 View Post
I'm here with you in north Texas too man, 28 degrees on my 6am drive to work this morning with no top or doors!

Of course, they'll be going back on tomorrow, but still, TOPLESS IN DECEMBER!

If you aren't ever wanting to put it back on, more power to you!

-- jason
Right now I live just north of Chicago and a city near by has a winter wonderland where you drive through at night and its a beautiful display of lights sounds and other things alike. I was hoping to take my doors and top off the jeep for the drive through this but before I do I was just wondering if 5-15 degrees can damage the inside of my jeep?
angrymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
je1330
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymuffin View Post
Right now I live just north of Chicago and a city near by has a winter wonderland where you drive through at night and its a beautiful display of lights sounds and other things alike. I was hoping to take my doors and top off the jeep for the drive through this but before I do I was just wondering if 5-15 degrees can damage the inside of my jeep?
Well I can't speak definiatively for that, but I wouldn't think so. Temperature wise everything should be good for well into the negatives. Picture the jeep sitting outside up north somewhere, if it's not running eventually everything will be at the same temperature of the environment.

You would just want to worry about wet+cold temps, I think. And if it's raining, then yea, don't do it, lol.

After my drive this morning, I recommend good gloves and something to cover your ears. Slow speeds aren't going to be toooo bad, especially for whoever's in the front seat. The heater puts out a LOT of air to hit you face with

But clearly, we're off topic here, back to the OP's topic

-- jason
je1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
madhouse
1997 TJ Wrangler 

on my tj when i lived in sacramento i just used a bikini top and no doors every day all year. sure it'd rain sometimes, but the bikini top kept everything dry enough. but tonneau covers and windjammers are harder to put on in my experience than a full top. then again, i had smittybilt products.. never again.
Unread 12-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
FracEngineer
2007 JK Wrangler 

Bump!!

Ok gotta resurrect this thread as I am about to pull the trigger on the Duster, Safari Top and Wrap around wind Jammer, I searched the forums archives and only found pics of this setup on a TJ, i would really like to see the compatability of the duster and wraparound wind jammer.

Thanks for your help any advice is also appreciated!!!!!
Unread 12-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
thebobjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I was just wondering if 5-15 degrees can damage the inside of my jeep?
Nope.

Quote:
Ok gotta resurrect this thread as I am about to pull the trigger on the Duster, Safari Top and Wrap around wind Jammer
I as well would love to see this set up. If you do pull the trigger, please post pics.
thebobjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Yep, skip the smittybuilt, pavement ends and Steel Horse (or Iron Horse) I can't remember stuff. I have a smittybuilt bikini, pavement ends windjammer and iron horse tonneau. They suck. I'll upgrade to Bestop or something else when these finally wear out on my tj.
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
Rescue1
2009 JK Wrangler 

not sure if you have the 2dr or 4dr but with my 4dr it leaks... bad

but i still wouldn't change it. i park in the garage at night and in a parking garage at work so that takes care of 90% of my exposure.

they don't make a wraparound windjammer for the 4dr yet so i used the 2dr one and "made it work". it doens't connect to the duster and the top leaks where the front doors are supposed to seal.
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
SilvRSpeedX3
2008 JK Wrangler 

I like that setup and was debating something like this, what did you have to do to "make" the wrap around windjammer work
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
thebobjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
they don't make a wraparound windjammer for the 4dr yet so i used the 2dr one and "made it work". it doens't connect to the duster and the top leaks where the front doors are supposed to seal.
Any details on how you did this? Was it difficult? I just searched for images for the four door and remembered by I decided against it. It does look great though!
thebobjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Rescue1
2009 JK Wrangler 

the doors leak because of the fold in the besttop safari top. it can be used with or without the surrounds. i use it with, and there is extra fabric. you have to pleat this extra and the water follows the pleats... right into the door seal, like a funnel.

the windjammer is very tight when attached to the surrounds and does pull out occasionally. if the seats were down you wouldn't have this problem but i just pull hard and put them back in. last for a couple of months. has never come completly off, just a couple of inches up one site.

the duster has a zipper and the windjammer has a "J" hook, or viseversa. eitherway they don't mate so any standing water on the duster goes directly into that unsealed area.

the top of the windjammer also has a "J" hook to mate with a soundbar piece on the 2dr. 4drs don't have that piece so there is no way to attach the top to anything. so i ran the webstraps from my safari top thru some slits i made in the top of the jammer to snug it up.

so far i've been running it for a year straight, some minor issues but nothing bad enough to have me put the ugly soft top back on. the soft top looks great on full door rigs but with the 1/2 doors it makes it look like a safari vehicle.
see

i'd rather have the trektop or the offroadhero's top. i do like the versitility of taking the duster off and still being able to use the heat/AC for carrying bigger stuff.
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

That above pic reminds me of a sure nuff hummer H1... I like it. It would appear to me that a lap belt for the rear seats and disconnecting the 3 points would work slightly better. How much does complete set of half doors cost?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.