Top 3 must have JK mods? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Top 3 must have JK mods?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #31
WillysGSR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJNewbs View Post
You guys make a great point...Let me elaborate and see if it helps narrow it down. This Jeep is going to be my every day vehicle, but I'd like to be able to double it as a fun weekend trail type car. I don't have specific terrain in mind yet - but last week I went riding through sand dunes and trails and it was awesome....I guess i've got the itch now...just not sure where to start. *Regarding recovery points - I've got what came stock...2 off the front bumber and 1 off the rear.
There are dunes close to St Louis?

WillysGSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #32
WillysGSR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJNewbs View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a detailed list of what comes stock on the '10 Sahara? The web site just lists the basic features....I'm going to do my homework to understand what all of these add-ons can offer, but would love to know what I'm upgrading from...or adding to.
I found a link on Jeeps website that you can email them with your VIN and they will send you the build sheet. I thought I was running 3.07 gears and found out they where 3.73, not too shabby
WillysGSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #33
Res6cue
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
What exactly are you looking for?

The biggest issue for a Sahara would be the tires. They come with a more timid Street type all terrain tire. If you want an example of what not to do, find the thread where a Dad's son get stuck in the mud and asks for help. To go on more serious terrrain you will want a more aggressive tire.
I have to agree with Vin on this one. My Sahara has the 18" rims. If you wanna save some $$ in the future get the smaller rims. The number of choices have increased for the 18"'s but the $$ are much more.
Res6cue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #34
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysGSR View Post
There are dunes close to St Louis?
haha...no...i drove out to the Outer Banks, NC.
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #35
Croce
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
evap canister relocation kit, diff covers, and a oil pan skid plate. If you dont ride with a group then a winch would be my next mod.
Agree with Warlord, Oil Pan is very exposed. Same with evap canister. Also recovery gear and fire extinguisher is a must

Cant go wrong with Zip ties and Duct tape either - not really a mod, but itll come in handy
[CENTER][B][COLOR="black"]2009 Jeep JK Sahara Unlimited[/COLOR][/B] | Smittybilt XRC Rock Guards | Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper | Rockcrusher Front D30 Diff Cover | KC Hilities Daylighters | Rancho Oil Pan Cover | BMD Evap Skid | AEV Snorkel [/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Mirror Flip | Daystar dash | Painted Sahara Rims | Seat mounted Mag-lites | Gutter Grill inserts | Smittybilt Seat covers | Vent Mirrors | Spray Can-Bed Liner and Interior Paint [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/"][COLOR="yellow"]Jeep Owners Manual[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Any fool can know. The point is to understand- Einstein[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Last edited by Croce; 08-27-2010 at 09:42 PM..
Croce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #36
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res6cue View Post
I have to agree with Vin on this one. My Sahara has the 18" rims. If you wanna save some $$ in the future get the smaller rims. The number of choices have increased for the 18"'s but the $$ are much more.
You can find 18" for $$? I thought they were more like $$$...
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #37
Beaman21
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wassup guys, I just got a 2013 wrangler sport and I'm new to the jeep world. I want to start slow with the mods because of money. I wanted to get some ideas from you all on what I should do to get that beefier look and feel from my jeep without breaking the bank. In the future I will be doing more serious mods, but now starting small. Plan on using it as my daily driver and some small trail runs.
Beaman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #38
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Do nothing to the Jeep. Just go and keep an eye out for tips, suggestions and what works in your environs.

No need to go out right away buying 35" rubber, 4" lift and giant chrome wheels.

Personally, I know that the Sahara comes stock with front & rear recovery points so, no need to buy anything there. Second of all, they also have those 18" Duelers? Those can be aired down to 18-25lb.

Since you have an X / Sport, having elementary & basic recovery gear is sufficient for now.

So, if anything; buy some decent latch-down straps to secure your cooler, toolboxes & gear etc. Buy a decent snatch rope if you get stuck (you probably will), buy a decent CB (I use the Cobra 75) because it's nice to know what's going on once you get into the sticks and you can't see.

Ask questions and certainly ask for help and advise from guys who are veterans and know their stuff and not the "yeehaw, extreeeeme!!!" jackwads. Those guys will get you into their trouble. (do a few Jeep events and you'll locate those dudes right away. Typically ending in crushed axles, roll overs, late night dark recovery operations, beer fights, drunk girlfriends blah blah.) Be safe, Tread Lightly and be a steward of the trail.

Speaking of that: Buy a litter kit & a spill kit. Clean up beer cans/bottles and trash from the woods. We all have to be better stewards of the forest or these "enlightened know-it-all nannies" will take our forest usage away.

Just go out there. You will realize that your stock Sport Jeep (especially if a guy has a Sahara with 3:73 gears and Trak-Loc) is more capable that you are.
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #39
67alecto
2007 JK Wrangler 

A lot of people are suggesting things that I would say are good to get as you get more experienced.

As you are 1) just starting out and 2) wheeling with experienced people, then realistically you don't need a winch, a recovery kit (apart from a pair of gloves which is a good idea regardless), etc...the experienced folks in the group already have all of that. We have experienced jeepers in our club that forego getting a winch because so many others have it that they'd rather spend the money on something they know they will use.

The things you can't "borrow":

More aggressive tires...the stock tires are going to be your biggest weakness.
As others have said - an evaporation cannister skid plate. The location is just too exposed.

After that, hit the trails and see what you think. You may decide that you'd rather been a mall crawler rather than rock, and will want to adjust your plans accordingly. A good group of wheelers should be looking out for you - choosing trails that aren't going to tear up your vehicle and will be fun.
TF Leveling kit, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Rugged Ridge 8,500lb winch, Rugged Ridge Dual Tube Bumper (rear), 16x8 Procomp 7069 with 305/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Windshield KC HiLites, ACE Rock Sliders, ARB compressor, Yukon Zip locker (rear)
67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , mod's , suggested modifications , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.