Top 3 must have JK mods? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Top 3 must have JK mods?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #16
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would say a 2'' lift, 33'' aggressive AT or any MT tire, and evap canister skid or relocation. Of course, you could go bigger on the tires and lift, but then you need to add regearing.

Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #17
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

small lift, tires, recovery gear
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #18
awkragt
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'd go front bumper with a winch. I lifted and did tires first but the other way around would've been a better way to build up. Starting with bumpers and armor is a safe bet. All it takes is a 4" lift and 35s and the jeep will be about 4 years of wheeling skill ahead of you. There's a ton of trails out there where the best challenge is doing them in a mostly stock jeep.
http://kragt.blogspot.com
awkragt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Not necessarily all mods, but I recommend

1) A good tool kit with an assortment of wrenches between about 10 and 21 mm. Sockets and a ratchet to match, pliers, screw drivers, a decent size hammer. Tie wraps, duct tape, etc....

2) Tow strap and assorted recovery gear

3) Flashlight, first aid kit and and basic survival items. (Some things depend on where you are going to be and if you are travelling alone.

As far as mods. A 2.5" lift and more aggressive tires will improve performance on the trails.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #20
hack99
2010 JK Wrangler 

1) Recovery points (you already have)
2) Recovery equipment (good snatch-strap, jack, shovel, etc..)
3) TIME on the trails, to learn what you and your rig is capable of. After you've been off roading for awhile, you'll learn what other mods you need.

have fun
Unread 08-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #21
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Most Clubs I've worked with require the following:

1) Minimum 33" Tire (No lift needed on JK to fit them)
2) CB Radio
3) Trail Flag

Recovery Equipment is a must as well, if your budget is tight a good Come-Along and a good recovery strap (NOTE: a tow strap is not a recovery strap) is perfect for starters. Eventally you'll want to work your way up into a High-Lift Jack. Since your up around the St.Louis area, most clubs in that area will frequent the Ozarks which have quite a few good sized boulders around, so Rock Sliders would definitely be a good investment.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 05:03 AM   #22
z_gilligan
2010 JK Wrangler 

Depends on ur budget... I bought armor before any lift or tires. I got rock rails and the front skid plate. My next purchases will be oil pan skid and eith evap relocation or skid. Tires and lift will come after my current tires need replacing.
Btw I already have recovery gear, bought that w/ my last jeep

Hope this helps
z_gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #23
Bgut
2009 JK Wrangler 

Must have for my JK are, here on the border of Colorado and Utah.
  • extra rack for survival junk (same as camping junk)
  • 34-35+” aggressive tires
  • Most here already discussed recovery gear.
  • With the lift I would replace the weak drive shafts, (a set 1350 u-joints do well but we still brake them once in a while)
  • Extra u-joints and tools
  • at least a front axle locker, on a d44
  • carry a chain saw (my adult children actually carry it in one of theirs)
  • Camera
  • Off and on road driving lights( HIDs are nice, ones that would cause an airplane to think you’re a runway are better)
  • a good heavy front bumper for the deer in the area
Personally, I tried the club scene and it became annoying.
My sons, I and friends are out fitting jeeps, trucks, a Hummer as we see fit. The jeeps we have are, YJs, a TJ, a JK unlimited (mine, a very good grandbaby carrier), XJ, and even a
DJ.
Here is a question why do most clubs say at least a 33-inch tire, when it will only add a half inch of clearance to a stock JK? On the older models, it was an improvement but not the new ones.
I think it would be better to add a 32” aggressive tire and under body skid plates, 34-35-inch or bigger make better sense. A 32” will do just as well as a 33” and are a lot cheaper.
Bgut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #24
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Interesting lists from everyone. Here is my take on the first 3 mods to make it trail ready:

1. Some kind of rock sliders/side protection - I don't know how many rocks/logs you will encounter in your adventures, but you want to keep them off the sheet metal of your Jeep. The plastic side steps that your Sahara came with aren't going to last long and will not protect your vehicle.
2. CB radio - You need to be able to keep in contact with others on the trail when you are wheeling whether it be to call for help or respond to the request of another.
3. Snatch strap - The recovery points that your Jeep came with are worthless without something to make use of them.

Once you get stuck a few times wheeling your rig you can start to think about what other mods you will need in the future to prevent it from happening again. Happy wheeling!

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Hollywood1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #25
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Thanks to everyone that posted on this one. It seems clear that good recovery gear is step 1. Good tools (which I already have) is step 2. Step 3 could go a few ways...and this all brings up so many new questions to me (I wasn't a car guy growing up so this is my first dive into it all).....does a 2" lift really make a big difference..seems like such a small change?.......what size tires are stock with the '10 Sahara?...can't seem to find this detail anywhere (just says 18" everywhere talking about the rims).....if going with a lift more than 2 years, what is involved with re-gearing?....Feel free to call me an idiot...I know I probably sound like one....thanks again everyone...
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #26
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'd say if all you're wanting to do is get started on the trails I would get

- Club membership and the minimum requirements for their trail runs. (around $35 for the club and $50 or so for the other stuff)
- I think you have a Sahara, switch out the plastic steps for a set used Rubicon rails off the forum or Craigslist. (around $100 to $150)
- In Missouri, you'll want a Evap skid plate. ($75 to $100)

That's the bare bones, get ya started on the cheap list.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #27
Rerun
2010 JK Wrangler 

1. A good set of off road tires. Not sure exactly what type of the tire the Sahara comes with but I bet dollars to donuts they are more suitable for the street than the trail.

2. Under body protection (armour/skid plates). Again... not sure what kind of under body armour comes stock on the sahara, but I suggest you protect as much as you can... whatever ain't protected.

3. A winch. A winch will save your *** someday.... especially, like we've all done.... go out on some trail by yourself and you end up getting stuck with not a soul around for miles.

Thats my top 3... there are many more but in my opinion these are at the top of the to-do list.

oh.... here's another one... just for good measure.

4. A rear locker if your Sahara doesn't have one.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #28
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Does anyone know where I can find a detailed list of what comes stock on the '10 Sahara? The web site just lists the basic features....I'm going to do my homework to understand what all of these add-ons can offer, but would love to know what I'm upgrading from...or adding to.
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #29
Res6cue
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ride by the local dealer & get a brochure or look at the window stickers. When I got my '09 JKU Sahara all of my details were on the sticker.
Res6cue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #30
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJNewbs View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a detailed list of what comes stock on the '10 Sahara? The web site just lists the basic features....I'm going to do my homework to understand what all of these add-ons can offer, but would love to know what I'm upgrading from...or adding to.
What exactly are you looking for?

The biggest issue for a Sahara would be the tires. They come with a more timid Street type all terrain tire. If you want an example of what not to do, find the thread where a Dad's son get stuck in the mud and asks for help. To go on more serious terrrain you will want a more aggressive tire.

The only other thing that differs a Sahara from the base model is the paint. You have painted fenders and painted bumper center pieces.

Besides that you have the same Jeep as other base models. The same suspension, the same engine, the same drive train, the same underbody protection.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , mod's , suggested modifications , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.