Tools to Keep close? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tools to Keep close?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Tools to Keep close?

I'm getting ready for my first road trip (St. Louis to Outer Banks, NC) and am looking to put a small tool bag together to keep in the back. I'm looking for some help figuring out what to have around to be able to take off the hard top, take off the doors, things like that. Any horror stories that end in "man I wish i had ________" would be great. Thanks all.

KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

A set of torx sockets an a ratchet/small extenion 3/8" drive would be helpful and a mulit screwdriver with the smaller torx and other standard bits .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
BigRed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

a couple flashlights in case you need to get under the hood or vehicle
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

A hammer a crescent wrench and a fire extinguisher
What I do is whenever I need to get a special tool out of the box i.e. torx for the top or doors, it goes in the cubby in the back!

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
AFhockey31
2009 JK Wrangler 

After today (not that youll need this on your trip) I realized that the main tools I need to have on a wheeling trip is a 35mm socket, breaker, and 13mm/12 point and 20 mm socket...along with a 3/4 for the wheels. Thats about all you need to pull the wheels and front hub to get the axle shafts out in case of a breakage

2009 Wrangler. XRC 10 winch
RE 3.5" basic lift. Poison Spyder Rockbrawler bumper
35x12.5 KM2. Poison Spyder Rockerknockers
Crager soft 8's. PS diff and evap skids
Bilstein 5100's. Light force 170's
KC Slimlights
AFhockey31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bring one of those tool sets with various sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. Bring vice grips, and a good size cresent wrench, and a decent hammer.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

wire, extra fuses, wire cutters, zip ties, cresent wrench, Multi screwdriver, few sockets, end wrenches, grease gun, air compressor, power bars, flashlights, matches/lighter, hammer, torx set, tow strap and like AFhockey said (he should know) the tools needed for a broken axle/gears.

I bring all that with me and theres probably more I left out....
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Thanks everyone...regarding the air compressor - i know i'll need to let some air out for riding on the beach, and i've seen some of these smaller compressors for sale - but do these guys have enough to fill 4 tires back up afterwards?
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
Ravik
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJNewbs View Post
Thanks everyone...regarding the air compressor - i know i'll need to let some air out for riding on the beach, and i've seen some of these smaller compressors for sale - but do these guys have enough to fill 4 tires back up afterwards?
A lot of guys here run CO2 systems (big can strapped down in the back) for airing up. If you are only needing on board air occasionally, just getting the tank refilled every few months might be more cost effective.

Anyone have one of these and can chime in?
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have a harber freight like $60 compressor, it airs up my 35" tires from 8psi to 34psi in maybe like 15mins. It really doesnt seem that long at all and I think its great being that is so small and comes with a case. I have used it atleast 10-15 times so far. Thinking of buying another and mounting both under the jeep somewhere and having 1 compressor per 2 tires, having a hose for each tire so I can air them all up at the same time.

Just make sure you get a compressor that connects directly to the battery, not the cigarette lighter.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Tireguy
2009 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=
Anyone have one of these and can chime in?[/QUOTE]

I've had my CO2 tank (Powertank) for some time now. Don't use it a whole lot, so it doesn't need refilling often, and when it does, its only $1.00/lb to fill it.
Pros- Its very portable, easy to use, and gives the option of using air tools in remote locations. Its has plenty of 'juice' to it for airing up tires and enough pressure to seat a bead. (I aired up 5/6 jeeps' tires after a trail run a few years back, still had plenty left.)

Cons- Initial cost to purchase, it has to be refilled, no way to 'gauge' how much liquid is left (except by weight), tank has to be pressure tested every couple-o-years (bout 15 bucks per test).

Co2 tank vs. mini-compressor? Thats another thread for another day.
Tireguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

haha. bring everything you got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

The MV-50 compressor is probably one of the most inexpensive and reliable compressors out there. I love mine. It's not overly fast, but usually I'm off doing some other thing on the Jeep and don't worry about the time.

I have a quick tire deflator, so if I slightly overfill a tire, I just let the air out to the desired pressure.

Plus it's really handy when on a trip or at soccer practice for the kids and they need a ball aired up.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
dave91gt
2009 JK Wrangler 

I love the Outer Banks. Anyway, regarding the air, some of the beach accesses have air available. The spot I was on is down near Bodie Island lighthouse. There is a marina or something across the street for air. Anyway, I dont think you should need many tools as you will just be beach driving. The tools for tire changing and top removal should have you set I would think.
dave91gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
I have a harber freight like $60 compressor, it airs up my 35" tires from 8psi to 34psi in maybe like 15mins. It really doesnt seem that long at all and I think its great being that is so small and comes with a case.

Just make sure you get a compressor that connects directly to the battery, not the cigarette lighter.
Hey - is this the one that you are talking about? Looks to match the price and comes with the battery clamps:

12 Volt, 150 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

Seems like a good investment for such a small price....

Tags
JK Wrangler , road trip , road trip tools , tools , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.