Took the jeep in to get cleaned and got a new cylinder head as well. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Took the jeep in to get cleaned and got a new cylinder head as well.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Wrangler98
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 130
Took the jeep in to get cleaned and got a new cylinder head as well.

We took our jeep in this morning for interior/exterior detailing/scotch guarding we got with our warranty. I mentioned the check engine light had come on 3 times in the last two weeks. He pulled the codes, had two #6 cylinder misfire and a random misfire. After further checking they deemed a new head was in order. I had a feeling this might happen, thankfully I have the week off work so I'm not put out by the whole thing. They said it should be done late tomorrow or early Wednesday. I thought I had heard a slight ticking like others had mentioned, but I guess I thought it would be louder. Oh well, at least we will have it back soon.

__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-3.6/AT
1993 F-250HD SC 4X4-7.3/5spd ATS Turbo
1986 F-250HD 4X4-6.9/T19
1967 Ford Mustang-351W/4spd

Last edited by Wrangler98; 09-30-2013 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: I cant spell
Wrangler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
zjilla
Web Wheeler
 
zjilla's Avatar
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mildenhall United Kingdom
Posts: 1,271
amen
__________________
2007 Unlimited Sahara
98 ZJ Limited RHD (British spec)
USAF Military Working Dog Handler
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Powerdriver
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lafayette, La., Louisiana
Posts: 10
How many miles do you have on your Jeep ??
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
2 1/2" dealer installed lift
Tires: 35 x 12.5R18 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
Wheels: Motor Metal (MO961)
Powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Butterjeep
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 484
Better it happens now rather then later, good luck.
__________________
2012 JK
2014 WK2
Butterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
-G-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boaz
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler98 View Post
We took our jeep in this morning for interior/exterior detailing/scotch guarding we got with our warranty. I mentioned the check engine light had come on 3 times in the last two weeks. He pulled the codes, had two #6 cylinder misfire and a random misfire. After further checking they deemed a new head was in order. I had a feeling this might happen, thankfully I have the week off work so I'm not put out by the whole thing. They said it should be done late tomorrow or early Wednesday. I thought I had heard a slight ticking like others had mentioned, but I guess I thought it would be louder. Oh well, at least we will have it back soon.
What year do you have?
-G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Wrangler98
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 130
It's a 2012, only has 21k miles so far. We just bought it last month with 20k miles.
__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-3.6/AT
1993 F-250HD SC 4X4-7.3/5spd ATS Turbo
1986 F-250HD 4X4-6.9/T19
1967 Ford Mustang-351W/4spd
Wrangler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Bayrat
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 386
Oh it's the new engine, not good news. Hope they covered it.
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
222Doc
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 4,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler98 View Post
It's a 2012, only has 21k miles so far. We just bought it last month with 20k miles.
Just had ours done at 20.5K. Took a week to fix and get the new head. They did not stock the heads.

The REAL 500,000$ question are these heads any better? I have seen 013"s with the same complaint.? Did they fix this after the 013 roll out before? If they did fix this before than they fixed nothing if its still happening. It isn't bad fuel. Its that built in exhaust manifold I say. Cooking the exhaust valves in a Jeep I bet its hotter under the Hood then say a Ram or 300.

Just my worthless two cents


I have to say One mod I hoped to wait on at least was going with a Ls and a 6L80e or something in that range. Before I could wear a set of tires Heck the MTR'K have at least another few season's in them might be on my second head by then
__________________
[URL=http://www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com[/URL]
222Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Bayrat
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 386
I have the 2014 with the basic warranty. Did they cover it under power train or the 36k warranty?
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
00xjsebb
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
I have the 2014 with the basic warranty. Did they cover it under power train or the 36k warranty?
It's the same warranty with the powertrain continuing to be covered after 36,000 miles.
00xjsebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Wrangler98
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 130
They told me the new heads were not causing problems, that the issue had been fixed. It was covered by the warranty. We got it back this afternoon, seems to idle smoother now. Just glad they got it done quick and it didn't cost me anything.
__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-3.6/AT
1993 F-250HD SC 4X4-7.3/5spd ATS Turbo
1986 F-250HD 4X4-6.9/T19
1967 Ford Mustang-351W/4spd
Wrangler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
Wavedatya
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clarington county, Ontario, Canada EH!
Posts: 1,369
That's good !

If you ever need work covered under warranty don't be scared to ask them for a rental. Should he covered as well.
__________________
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
jwmbishop
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: corsicana, tx
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Just had ours done at 20.5K. Took a week to fix and get the new head. They did not stock the heads.

The REAL 500,000$ question are these heads any better? I have seen 013"s with the same complaint.? Did they fix this after the 013 roll out before? If they did fix this before than they fixed nothing if its still happening. It isn't bad fuel. Its that built in exhaust manifold I say. Cooking the exhaust valves in a Jeep I bet its hotter under the Hood then say a Ram or 300.

Just my worthless two cents


I have to say One mod I hoped to wait on at least was going with a Ls and a 6L80e or something in that range. Before I could wear a set of tires Heck the MTR'K have at least another few season's in them might be on my second head by then
The heads that come down the line for parts are not from the same sub assembly lot as the heads that come down for complete line assemblies - usually you can see a problem carry to the following year model as the original problem as those complete assemblies (with the earlier sub assembly) get used up.
Not saying this has happened - just a possibility. We saw the same overlap issue with the '90 mitsu 3.6 head eating bearings. Mitsu sent us 250 brand new head assemblies (cam, followers and all) to modify and stock west coast dealers ahead of the change on their sub assembly line... but even some late 90s and early '91s failed for same issue.
__________________
J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
How to start an online argument - express opinion - wait.
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.