Too tall for garage - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Too tall for garage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #76
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Does your lift have adjustable control arms or track bars?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 10-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #77
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Way too much lift. Figure out the brand and go for no more than 3". That's all a 2dr needs unless you go extreme, stretch, 40s, etc.
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #78
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Way too much lift. Figure out the brand and go for no more than 3". That's all a 2dr needs unless you go extreme, stretch, 40s, etc.
Depends what your doing....
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #79
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Do you like beer?

I would hate having a spring compressor unload on you. Im sure they are safe, but it would always be in the back of my mind.
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #80
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragyn View Post
I think I might just pull the trigger on the proper springs. Will I have to change anything else? I read something earlier that said some shocks are for a certain amount of lift. If my shocks are too long then that's more money to spend...

Also, apparently there are lower points in my garage than I was aware of. Caught the top of the jeep on a part of a pipe... put a good dent in it and tore part of the soft top.

Yay, new Jeep!
If the shocks are too long, you may have to change them out. Get the part # of the shocks and you should be able to check with the manufacturer of the springs to see if it's too long or not.

I went from 2.5" RK to 4" Evo springs. My front shocks were already the correct length, but had to change out the rear. I emailed Evo with the part numbers and then confirmed the rear would need to be changed.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #81
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Any update on the route you are going to take?
This thread was becoming very interesting, esp after the 2-dr loaded with all of those kegs.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #82
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Judging by the fact that you have damn near 6" of lift and the stock swaybar endlinks, I would be willing to bet nothing else was addressed by that lift. If you lose 2.5-3" of lift itll drive 1000x better.
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #83
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Any update on the route you are going to take?
This thread was becoming very interesting, esp after the 2-dr loaded with all of those kegs.
Going to save up some money to get the proper lift kit. I have to contact the manufacturer of my shocks so see if they'll accommodate a shorter lift. I hope so, because I don't have a whole lot of money to drop on it right way.

I bought a coil clamp yesterday, and I'm looking for reasonably priced lift kits (good ones, not the cheap off-brands). What kind of jack would you advise? Should I go straight for the 48" jack or just a small hydraulic bottle jack? All I have right now is a motorcycle jack (http://images.motorcycle-superstore....BIGREDjack.jpg).

I appreciate all the advice. This place is an awesome resource.

I was going to buy some of those spring clips but they'd be damn near $100 plus shipping for all four springs. I may as well put that towards a quality lift.
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #84
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Any opinion on this Rough Country kit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-JK-Wran...1e6ffc&vxp=mtr
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #85
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Personally id avoid it...
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #86
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quality suspension goes a long way with how much you'll enjoy driving your jeep. Trust me .

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #87
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Fair enough. I'll have to buy a new kit and hopefully be able to sell what I have right now. Probably a small market for this much lift...

I'm going to post a couple links of brand name lift kits. Since I'm in Canada, they'll probably cost more. Could someone chime in and let me know which one is best for the money? I'm looking to get 3.5" on a 2DR.
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #88
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Now I'm just getting confused.

My shocks say RS999329 (front) and RS999330 (rear). Looking those P/N's up, I see they're for 4" of lift. Does that mean I have 4" of lift, or that the person who put them on did something wrong (too short for the amount lifted?). With that being said, can I salvage them and use them with only 3.5" lift? That would reduce my costs considerably.

EDIT: After further research, it would seem they're fine to use with 2.5 or 3.5" kits. From what I've read from you guys in this thread, I'm looking for 2.5" 4DR/3.5" 2DR coils. So aside from the coils and shocks, what else is required for a proper lift?

EDIT2: Also, form the pictures, is anyone able to notice if there are other upgrades done to the suspension? I'd hate to buy the same part twice.

EDIT3: I've heard Full Traction positively mentioned while I searched around. Is that accurate, or should I only be looking at RK/AEV/TeraFlex? http://www.quadratec.com/products/16064_302X_PG.htm
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #89
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, with just shocks and coils, you would have what is called a Budget Boost.
So, simply swap the coils you have for some 2.5" coils and call it a day for the wallet.
The numbers on your shocks mean that they are intended for a 4" lift, not that you have a 4" lift (that comes from the coil springs).

On my 2-door, a Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel lift gave me over 4" in the front (with steel bumper and winch) and ~2.5" in the rear. Two doors often net more lift than advertised due to their lower weight. So, look at the 2.5" lift kits. Full Traction...I have no experience with. I know they get good reviews, but seems not many on this forum run them. TF, RK & AEV seem to be favored here (but that's just here). I imagine your 4" coils on the 2-dr are giving you closer to 5" of lift.

Additional components to add on in the future would include, front and rear adjustable track bars, front and rear upper/lower control arms, extended brake lines, extended sway bar links (front and rear). It can get extensive (& expensive)...just depends on how hard you plan to wheel your Jeep
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #90
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Additional components to add on in the future would include, front and rear adjustable track bars, front and rear upper/lower control arms, extended brake lines, extended sway bar links (front and rear). It can get extensive (& expensive)...just depends on how hard you plan to wheel your Jeep
So am I safe to assume I can just swap out the coils for 2.5" and call it a day, without potentially breaking anything down the road? Mind you, I do intend to upgrade the other components before serious off-roading, but I'm only trying to get my Jeep to fit without tearing up the top.

If I can just go with the coils for now I'll order them tonight. I just don't know anything about suspension in vehicles that have more than two wheels, and I fear I'll pull my current coils only to find that the new ones won't be enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.