Too tall for garage - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Too tall for garage

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #46
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

If nothing else pops into mind, just buy the 3.5" coils from Freedom Off-Road for $189 and run those until you decide to put a decent lift kit on it. $189 is very budget friendly, esp. if just trying to lower your JK to fit into the garage.

Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #47
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
If nothing else pops into mind, just buy the 3.5" coils from Freedom Off-Road for $189 and run those until you decide to put a decent lift kit on it. $189 is very budget friendly, esp. if just trying to lower your JK to fit into the garage.
Yeah it definitely is the right price. I suppose I'll do that then start putting money aside for a proper set of coils. Still gonna look for something to run the straps around, until the coils show up.

Thanks for your help!
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #48
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragyn
Yeah it definitely is the right price. I suppose I'll do that then start putting money aside for a proper set of coils. Still gonna look for something to run the straps around, until the coils show up. Thanks for your help!
I bet there is someone out there very willing to trade coils.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #49
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
I bet there is someone out there very willing to trade coils.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Good point. If I could figure out which coils I have I'd try to set something up. I took a good look at 'em and saw no writing. Does that mean they're likely generic cheap coils or is the brand/part number hidden somewhere?
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #50
Goose346
2010 JK Wrangler 

Start dating fat chicks!
Goose346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #51
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

HANG ON! Before you buy those springs, I have a cheaper idea.
Years ago I had a sports car that I lowered the front end by installing some clips on the springs. Simply twisting a couple of nuts on the clips compressed the springs 1/2". Very cheap (I was a teenager)!! I'll see if I can find them.
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #52
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails
HANG ON! Before you buy those springs, I have a cheaper idea.
Years ago I had a sports car that I lowered the front end by installing some clips on the springs. Simply twisting a couple of nuts on the clips compressed the springs 1/2". Very cheap (I was a teenager)!! I'll see if I can find them.
They have those at autozone. Little clamps that you put on the springs.
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #53
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

How safe are these for street driving for the short term?
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #54
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-18-12.../dp/B00029K20C
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #55
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragyn
How safe are these for street driving for the short term?
I don't think I would use them on springs that tall.. That is one tall jeep! I think someone asked if you are sure there is no BL on it. But even if you don't maybe there is a solution there. The body attaches on, IIRC, six pucks. Maybe you could remove those?
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #56
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, the closest I found are these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-25551/overview/
I know the ones I had must have cost less than $20, but that was back in the '80's.

In the short term, they'd do the trick. For everyday street driving, they worked great.. They simply compress the spring like it has added weight on them. I lowered my front end 1" using them on my RX-7.
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #57
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandLow View Post
I don't think I would use them on springs that tall.. That is one tall jeep! I think someone asked if you are sure there is no BL on it. But even if you don't maybe there is a solution there. The body attaches on, IIRC, six pucks. Maybe you could remove those?
I've read a lot of negatives about the spring-locks, but no one seemed to have first hand experience. I think I might keep that idea on the back burner.

I'll check for a body lift in an hour or so. I saw that post earlier but completely forgot to acknowledge it or investigate. Thanks!
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #58
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragyn View Post
YES! That is what I used. Very cheap solution. I think this would be your cheapest solution. Just run those for a while until you have the money or find someone to swap springs with. There is always someone out there (usually former TJ who want/think they need that much lift to run 35's) who wants a tall lift like yours.
Like I said before, I used those on an '82 RX-7 with nothing negative to say about them. You may need some buddies to lean down on the Jeep to compress the springs a little bit while you install them.

I would NOT remove the body mounts from between the frame and the body.
#1 Too much work
#2 They help absorb some of the bumps
#3 You could possibly damage the body if it rests directly on the frame.
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #59
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails

I would NOT remove the body mounts from between the frame and the body.
#1 Too much work
#2 They help absorb some of the bumps
#3 You could possibly damage the body if it rests directly on the frame.
Probably so, maybe they could just be ground down and then replaced? BL pucks are pretty cheap...
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #60
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

I solved my problem temporarily by running zap-straps over the spreader bar on the soft-top, and binding it to the cross bar just below it. The corner rubs slightly, but I can live with that for now. I'll order some of those clips and give them a shot. I don't need to lower very much, I think .5" would clear the obstacle. That shouldn't put too much stress on anything.

In the mean time, I'll look for a coil swap. That's probably the best, safest, and overall cheapest way.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.