Too tall for garage - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Too tall for garage

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #31
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510
Odds are that to swap springs you'll need to unhook the shocks and sway bar. Unless you use strut compressors. Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Nah, I've removed my springs a few times (2x on purpose, once when I flexed a little too much on a trail...haha, spring retainer clips went on next day). Never removed the shocks, and I just pushed down on the springs with my hand. No spring compressor necessary.

I do not know anything about Freedom Off-Road. I'd stick to the well-known & liked name brands. I.e. Rock. Krawler, TeraFlex, AEV.

Stay away from ProComp and Rusty's!!

"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Alright, I'll look at those. Just trying to keep costs down as I wait to balance out from this purchase. I was thinking of getting the cheap ones just until I've got the cash for a good set of coil springs and other suspension upgrades. Just so I can buy them soon so I can park without tearing up my soft-top.
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #33
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

E-Bay! Many people change their suspension lift and want to get rid of their old coils. Join a local 4x4 club and make some contacts for good deals.

In the mean time, have you considered simply lowering your tire pressure a little and/or throwing some extra weight inside the Jeep?
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #34
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

I also noticed in your pics that your front sway bar links look stock. You need some adjustable ones from the likes of teraflex, rock krawler, JKS. Even at 2.5in of lift those will be needed.
Also the obligatory, adjustable track bar and lower control arms to help realign everything.
motoguy1251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
E-Bay! Many people change their suspension lift and want to get rid of their old coils. Join a local 4x4 club and make some contacts for good deals.

In the mean time, have you considered simply lowering your tire pressure a little and/or throwing some extra weight inside the Jeep?
I gave eBay a check but the only ones I could find seemed price surprisingly similar to new.

I did drop my tire pressure a bit to make some extra room. It helped, but I'd rather not to this too long. How much weight do you suspect I'd need to drop it by about 0.5"?
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #36
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Suck Down Winch maybe?

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/sdw/sdw-1.htm
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #37
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCUNLIMITED View Post
That's a bit beyond what I'm after right this moment, but it's pretty brilliant.

Now here's a question that might rank up there on a certain level of stupid, but what if I rapped a ratchet strap around the front of the frame and somewhere on the body, could I compress the spring an inch or so just to get in my garage? Obviously I wouldn't just drive around town like that, just a couple minutes to get in.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #38
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

???? Don't see why not ???? Until you figure something else out....worth a shot
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #39
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can't you just release the tension on the top?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #40
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Can't you just release the tension on the top?
On the soft-top? I'm not sure if there's a way I could do that. It's the material that's covering the bar that gets rubbed. So the only way I could remove tension that I know of, would be to remove that bar.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #41
jski701
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not familiar with the JK, but is there a body lift in there, or are the stock body mounts that tall? If its a body lift, I'd consider taking it out..
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #42
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragyn View Post
On the soft-top? I'm not sure if there's a way I could do that. It's the material that's covering the bar that gets rubbed. So the only way I could remove tension that I know of, would be to remove that bar.
Not sure how the soft top on the JK's go on, or how the spreader bard that hold the top work, but back in my YJ days it was really easy to release the pressure on the spreader bars and the top basically lowered down to roll bar level instantly...but I imagine Jeep found a "better" way to put the tension in the soft top.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #43
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Tragyn;17158298
Now here's a question that might rank up there on a certain level of stupid, but what if I rapped a ratchet strap around the front of the frame and somewhere on the body, could I compress the spring an inch or so just to get in my garage? Obviously I wouldn't just drive around town like that, just a couple minutes to get in.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think this is the cheapest option to do in the mean time until you save up funds for a decent lift swap. I'd do it (but I still remember how cheap I was while in college)...give it the old college try!
Unread 10-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #44
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

So I was rooting around under the jeep and wasn't sure what I could run the straps around that wouldn't limit mobility. Is there something ideal?
Unread 10-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #45
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Not sure how the soft top on the JK's go on, or how the spreader bard that hold the top work, but back in my YJ days it was really easy to release the pressure on the spreader bars and the top basically lowered down to roll bar level instantly...but I imagine Jeep found a "better" way to put the tension in the soft top.
Yeah the new design is a bit odd. The bar is actually attached to another one, and hooked into the soft-top. I tried getting it out but that wasn't happening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.