Too tall for garage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Too tall for garage

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 10-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Too tall for garage

So I just picked up my jeep and it's a bit too tall for my parking garage. I can get in but some low hanging pipe rubs on the center bar of the soft-top. If I have the top off I fit no problem.

It's clearly lifted, but I really don't want to get rid of the lift if I don't have to. Is there anything I can try? A slimmer soft-top? Or, maybe, can I take that center bar out of the top without causing any issues (I imagine it would just get noisy on the highway).

Any help is appreciated.

As you can see, the bar in the center is about .5 to 1" taller than the rest of the truck.

Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Kiriesh
2008 JK Wrangler 

You can try a frameless soft top or always have a friend with you haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG using JeepForum
Kiriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

That lift seems tall, you could maybe get shorter springs, any idea what lift is on it currently?

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYgreenYJ View Post
That lift seems tall, you could maybe get shorter springs, any idea what lift is on it currently?
I'm not sure. I've gotta get a better look at the parts and see if I can measure it out.

I haven't taken it off-road yet, nor am I familiar with doing so with any vehicle. I don't know what kind of clearance I need; can I sacrifice a couple inches of lift without cashing my wheels to rub anything?
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiriesh View Post
You can try a frameless soft top or always have a friend with you haha
I'll look into a frameless top as well. That's a good option. I managed to get my framed soft-top on and off by myself, which was kind of a pain in the ***. Would prefer not to do that every time.
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

You could use this an excuse to buy an on board air system. Then air down outside and drive in and park. Then air up once out! My choice would be to decrease the lift a bit though, that looks pretty huge!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hmm, if dropping the lift won't cause any issues, then that may be the best idea. How can I identify the type/size of my lift? That way I can know what to measure, and what to order to replace it.
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow, looks like quite a lot of lift, maybe 4"-6". But the tire size may exaggerate it. Look, I have only 2.5" and am running 37" tires with flat fenders. You can certainly afford to go down in lift.

The tire size is what gives the axles (the lowest part of your Jeep) more clearance. The lift kit just raises the frame & body higher. I would ask a local 4x4 shop to take a look-see and tell you what lift kit you have.

Do you know what size tires you have? Generally, 35" tires will get you most anyplace. And 35's only need 2.5" of lift to run most trails.

Looking at it more closely, it appears to be an AEV 3.5" lift kit. Why? Looks like you have front lower control arm drop brackets and the lift is pretty tall (3.5"+).
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Wow, looks like quite a lot of lift, maybe 4"-6". But the tire size may exaggerate it. Look, I have only 2.5" and am running 37" tires with flat fenders. You can certainly afford to go down in lift. The tire size is what gives the axles (the lowest part of your Jeep) more clearance. The lift kit just raises the frame & body higher.

I would ask a local 4x4 shop to take a look-see and tell you what lift kit you have. Do you know what size tires you have? Generally, 35" tires will get you most anyplace. And 35's only need 2.5" of lift to run most trails.
I've got 35" tires so I think I'm good there. I didn't think I had that much lift, but if that's the case then I can definitely lower a couple inches. How can I figure out which kit I have? If I know what parts to look for, I can crawl under and measure!
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Re-read my previous post. Just added another bit to the end. Specifically, behind your front tires, there are two long bars going from your axle to the frame. Those are the front lower control arm
s. Is there a bracket that comes down from the frame and then attaches to the rear part of those arms?

Or look at the springs. Is there any kind of writing on them?
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd do shorter springs too....that's overkill for those tires. I'd also spray the body below the flares black.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
TripLeader
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not a Jeep Problem, It's a Garage Problem

Dig 3 inches out of the garage floor.
78391117.jpg

TripLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripLeader
Dig 3 inches out of the garage floor.
Install a lift kit on the garage! A BB or BL should do the trick.
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Get a big ol steel front and rear bumper with tire carrier. That might sage I enough.
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Says Rancho RS5000 on 'em. I'll grab some more pictures of the underside in a an hour or so when I can get out to it. Here's what I have from before.
Thanks for all the help so far!

http://i.imgur.com/33bJpyQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zMaYPlf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CACMpIh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gcf6aec.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/I8gPPya.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oyZlFzH.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.