tires and rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > tires and rims

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
aj_del23
2013 JK Wrangler 

tires and rims

I have read everything I can find on tires and back spacing on rims for the last 2 weeks and just as I feel I understand what will fit something else pops up. I currently have stock tires and rims 225 crap 16's on my stock 2013 jk sport with soft top. my spring rate is 12/55 with 3.21 gears. this is my daily driver 70-120 miles a day. I live in Houston tx so I wont be rock climbing or doing any heavy flexing, but I would like to go down a dirt road after it rains without thinking I might get stuck. I have decided to upgrade the rims and tires this next week the plan is to go with ION 174 rims 16" 4.5" backspacing and 285/75/16 in either cooper atp or Hercules at2. Does anyone see any problems with the setup other than at full flex. with in the year I will be lifting with terra flex so I don't want to bb lift.

thanks to the help

aj_del23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would consider long term if you plan to lift. Tires are expensive to buy and harder to sell.

The tire you've listed would fit without much trouble, considering the 4.5" backspacing. Those tires are only an inch wider than the factory Rubicon tire (255/75r17). The factory Rubicon wheels are 6" or 6.25" backspaced.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
aj_del23
2013 JK Wrangler 

well while I would much rather go straight to 35s the gearing is a problem and I would rather wait a year or 2 to drop another $1500 on gears. And by that I mean I'm luck my wife lets me drop $1700 on wheels and tires 2 months after I bought the jeep and knows the lift will be coming very soon.
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

be patient and don't waste $$$ on in-term solutions. to do this, write down your current dream build, add prices to each item, triage the install order, making sure dependencies are factored in (i.e. don't buy a winch if you have no bumper/receiver plate or winch bumper to install it on). you know you want to re-gear for 35's, so do that before because 5 tires and wheels will probably cost more and leave you wishing you had if you do not. the list will change over time and repairs may trigger it to be resorted somewhat but you will have more $$$ and quicker upgrades this route.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Jared89
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del23 View Post
well while I would much rather go straight to 35s the gearing is a problem and I would rather wait a year or 2 to drop another $1500 on gears. And by that I mean I'm luck my wife lets me drop $1700 on wheels and tires 2 months after I bought the jeep and knows the lift will be coming very soon.
$1700 for that set up. I dont know who gave you prices but run . Also i would suggest going with 17s much better tire selection in bigger tires if you decide to upgrade.
Jared89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
aj_del23
2013 JK Wrangler 

yeah my lowest pricing was $1500 out the door for 5 rims and tires installed
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared89 View Post
$1700 for that set up. I dont know who gave you prices but run . Also i would suggest going with 17s much better tire selection in bigger tires if you decide to upgrade.
I'd love to know where you can beat those prices. Best I can find out here for 5x 17s and 285/70-17 Duratracs is about $1800 (plus tax, I think).
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Jared89
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
I'd love to know where you can beat those prices. Best I can find out here for 5x 17s and 285/70-17 Duratracs is about $1800 (plus tax, I think).
Spent a min looking dtd has them for like 280 so that's around 1400 that means you probably won't pay tax and mounting should only be like 75.i just saved you 400 but. You could probably find and even cheaper price if you look and dtd will beat it. I only ended up paying 1200 for my 4 35/12.5-17 trail grapplers from them.
Jared89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Warmjku12
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had to ditch the stock steel 16" wheel and tire set up ASAP as well. I went to craigslist for my wheels, tires and wheel spacers. it held me over till this week I should be putting on my 35s.
Warmjku12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared89 View Post
Spent a min looking dtd has them for like 280 so that's around 1400 that means you probably won't pay tax and mounting should only be like 75.i just saved you 400 but. You could probably find and even cheaper price if you look and dtd will beat it. I only ended up paying 1200 for my 4 35/12.5-17 trail grapplers from them.
You're looking at tires only...the OP and I are looking at wheels as well. I just want Cragar Soft 8s/Unique 297s, which are "only" $100 apiece. I've been watching the classifieds for about 4 months, nothing yet.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.