JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Tires again ... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/tires-again-1553867/)

Breitling 07-26-2013 08:55 AM

Tires again ...
 
Hi,

I got spare set of stock 17 inch rims, plastidip-ed them in black and I am planning to get BG 265/70r17 tires since I like this tires look. Would it be any issue with slightly wider tire on stock suspension? Tires are expensive and I don't like to make mistakes. Any other tires suggestion with place I could order them would be appreciated! I am driving my JKU 80% highways and 20% off-road but I am concerning about winter driving and most likely will stay stock (no lift).

Thanks!

RockyClymer 07-26-2013 09:14 AM

Go for it...if it turns out there is some rubbing on full turn, then consider adjusting the turn stops or getting some good wheel spacers....

Breitling 07-26-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyClymer (Post 15720896)
Go for it...if it turns out there is some rubbing on full turn, then consider adjusting the turn stops or getting some good wheel spacers....

Man.. I don't like rubbing :)

ncb 07-26-2013 09:48 AM

That same size tire is on the JK 10 anniversary Rubicon so you'll be fine on stock wheels.

Wavedatya 07-26-2013 12:00 PM

I have a set of 275/65/18 and they run at full lock just a little. 265 you should be good.

I have 285's now but a 4.5 backspace so no rub :)

Breitling 07-26-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavedatya (Post 15721444)
I have a set of 275/65/18 and they run at full lock just a little. 265 you should be good.

I have 285's now but a 4.5 backspace so no rub :)

Thanks, I believe 10mm should not be much different too.

Breitling 07-26-2013 06:46 PM

After research and reading millions of reviews I ordered Goodyear Duratrac's 265/70r17 instead of BG. They seem better all around tires with about same price tag. Thanks!

Turbineguy 07-26-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breitling
After research and reading millions of reviews I ordered Goodyear Duratrac's 265/70r17 instead of BG. They seem better all around tires with about same price tag. Thanks!

Especially for snow.

Breitling 07-26-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbineguy (Post 15722805)
Especially for snow.


Yes, not exactly in good health anymore to swap large winter/ summer sets myself. But I would stay this way for my rwd MB for a while. Duratracs seem great for any type of roads.

Wavedatya 07-27-2013 06:01 AM

Good choice of tire. I've heard nothing but good things with those.

I have a good set of winter. 275/65/18 that are good year territory. Cheap version of duratracs. They are good in snow slow. But I found my jeep unpredictable at 40-50mph in a little snow.

My dodge ram was a tank and I felt safer than in my jeep. But it is what it is. 9 mpg was my average in my ram so..... Lol.

ancientspear 07-27-2013 09:45 AM

I've praised Duratracs (load range C) a lot when I had them on my WJ (search that forum), many of the JK's in my club have them, and they're on tons of LTs across the Canadian prairie provinces. If I need to get winter tires again, once I see snow in our new JKUR, I'll definately buy them again for winter. Next time I do buy them, I'm tempted to have them studded and see what that's like. I know for a fact unstudded they helped get us home in a windy ice/snow storm last February in the WJ hours before the Interstate was closed and that's when I had a shot front front driveshaft, nearly toast front right axle, and a couple other issues up front when everyone else seemed to be in he ditch. Summer time, I want something a little more aggressive and tougher, not that the Duratracs were bad... I was bad to them ;)

Breitling 07-27-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ancientspear (Post 15724321)
I've praised Duratracs (load range C) a lot when I had them on my WJ (search that forum), many of the JK's in my club have them, and they're on tons of LTs across the Canadian prairie provinces. If I need to get winter tires again, once I see snow in our new JKUR, I'll definately buy them again for winter. Next time I do buy them, I'm tempted to have them studded and see what that's like. I know for a fact unstudded they helped get us home in a windy ice/snow storm last February in the WJ hours before the Interstate was closed and that's when I had a shot front front driveshaft, nearly toast front right axle, and a couple other issues up front when everyone else seemed to be in he ditch. Summer time, I want something a little more aggressive and tougher, not that the Duratracs were bad... I was bad to them ;)


I am driving Canada often and I know your winters, I am actually prefer to go winter there.

AlbertaJeeper 07-27-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breitling (Post 15724916)
I am driving Canada often and I know your winters, I am actually prefer to go winter there.

Well that's definitely the first time I've heard that! My home has been the coldest place on Earth a couple times for a day over the last few years, I can't think of anyone who would prefer that!! :chilly:

ancientspear 07-27-2013 07:20 PM

LOL yeah those fancy vehicle cold weather labs don't stand up to the cold spells you guys have had. Nothing like fuel injectors freezing up on the highway!

Breitling 07-27-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper (Post 15725206)
Well that's definitely the first time I've heard that! My home has been the coldest place on Earth a couple times for a day over the last few years, I can't think of anyone who would prefer that!! :chilly:

I was born in country which could win Canada in hockey :) I know many cold places there ...


The time now is 11:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.