Tire Pressure Light/Sentry Key Light Flashing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tire Pressure Light/Sentry Key Light Flashing

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Tire Pressure Light/Sentry Key Light Flashing

As the name says these lights will flash (generally together but sometimes individually) without any known cause. The tire pressure is good, and the sentry keys/alarm function perfectly.

This incidence usually happens while driving about 3x a week. The idiot lights stay lit for only about 10 seconds max, flash out, then come back on. Also it is usually moist out, but NOT ALWAYS. Any suggestions are quite welcome.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
aznjeep

2014 WK 

If it's under warranty, I'd take it back. Wondering if the computer is doing a system check, and is throwing an error. For the TPMS.. not sure how long those batteries are supposed to last, but maybe a battery is getting low?
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm...it doesn't seem to correlate with having a low battery but I don't know. And nothing flashes in the computer readout (for codes, etc) so not sure if it is an error.

How do I figure out how much of my warranty is left? I have 58000 miles so I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach...

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon

-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
Unread 04-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
aznjeep

2014 WK 

Hmm.. basic for us is 3/36, unless you picked up an extended warranty. Seeing you had a 2008 listed, I was hoping it was under 36k miles. Maybe this has happened to someone else and they'll chime in soon... Otherwise, it may be a trip to the stealership, or a good general mechanic?
Unread 04-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
aznjeep

2014 WK 

..oh.. and FWIW.. if it's not required in your state, it doesn't hurt to turn off TPMS (IMO). Yes, it's considered a safety option, but all the vehicles I've had before the "newer" ones didn't have it, and I did fine. You just build a habit of inspecting your tires more often. I reprogrammed ours to not light up until 15psi (AEV Procal). This would be a "band-aid", and not really fix the issue, but then there's still the Sentry key light. If I could have, I would have opted for a LOT less electronic "safety" equipment, although our MyGig Navi is nice...
Unread 04-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Hopefully. And I'm the second owner so no luck here, no idea how to find out your warranty afterwords?

I hear that about electronics but I do enjoy the keyless entry and power windows...along with the MyGig...ahhhh...so nice.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold

1994 YJ SE Sold

1960 Willys Wagon

-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
JKTim
2010 JK Wrangler 

yeah fill em to 37. the door says 35 or whatever but just do 37.
JKTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
slp0313
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did you ever find out what is causing the intermittent flashing with the tpms and alarm led? I experienced the same issue this morning while driving into work. Just to note, it was raining this morning as well.
slp0313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjeep View Post
..oh.. and FWIW.. if it's not required in your state, it doesn't hurt to turn off TPMS (IMO). Yes, it's considered a safety option, but all the vehicles I've had before the "newer" ones didn't have it, and I did fine. You just build a habit of inspecting your tires more often. I reprogrammed ours to not light up until 15psi (AEV Procal). This would be a "band-aid", and not really fix the issue, but then there's still the Sentry key light. If I could have, I would have opted for a LOT less electronic "safety" equipment, although our MyGig Navi is nice...
Its not a safety feature for YOU as much as it is a liability shield for the manufacturer of the vehicle and tires.

A little history on the TPMS. if you recall the Ford rollover lawsuits and tire recalls, basically Ford Excursions and some explorers rolled after either a blowout or during an evasive maneuver. Ford got sued by victims of families for wrongful death and in the investigation three things were found....

First was that most consumers were not aware of the sequence of events that lead to a blow out. The tire does NOT pop like a ballon when you hit a nail on the road- but rather looses air and when running low at speed overflexes and overheats the cords in the sides then shred the hot (soft) rubber and sidewall fails. This also occurs without a road hazard if the tire is not inflated to proper psi. If over inflated the shredding occurs at the sipes edge (Same concentration of heat issue).

Second the tires recalled were unrated for speed. Prior to 1991 there were basically three ratings - S (or unrated on tire) 118 MPH, H up to 130, or V (over 130), When a tire is rated, a sample tire is run at the correct psi for load and the speed at which an hour of run gets the sidewall temp to exceed the carcass temp by predetermined % is the speed rating. See above paragraph - lowering PSI or increasing weight substantially lowers speed rating and the rating goes out the window with a tire that can shred when ran at 55 for an hour! AND the bigger the tire the more 10% below recommended pressure at load affects the temps.

The final finding was that as drivers we rarely start out big - our progression of cars owned starts small and as we marry have kids etc constantly upgrade in size until one day a land yacht is our driveway. So a driver could have YEARS of driving lower weight and smaller tires and never "had" to check their tires so fail to do it on the big monster. Or more precisley never DID check them (or did so by eyeball) and suffered no catastrophic blowout (or did but assumed it popped like a balloon). And of course when they bought that big ol boat no one ever held their hand and explained to them that unlike that lilttle ol buick regal tradein the big heavy excursion was more dangerous when tires were either NOT checked or only checked visually.

So the cause of the rollovers was - weight, speed and inflation meeting up in the danger zone as a van full of family and gear went flying down the freeway at 90 with 15 lbs in the tire in ignorant bliss of the catastophy on the horizon...

So Ford compensated a few families for their loss, Firestone VOLUNTARILY recalled tires used on vehicles over a set weight/cg height formula, replacing them with higher speed rated tires, and the NTHSA mandated manufacturers install monitors on roll over susceptible vehicles as well as developed a NEW rating system that uses 6 MPH increments so that the engineers could be more precise in their loading and pressure calcs and placards. The manufacturers JUMPED at the monitors - not because the monitor would tell the consumer - but when black box data is retrieved from a fatality it would show the CONSUMER was negligent not the manufacturer (as the argument always goes to they made a faulty vehicle that rolls over too easily). Following this unfold I was sickened by how the media portrayed Ford and Firestone as the culprits in the deaths that led to the changes... and even more so when I heard otherwise smart people advise staying away from Firestone tires with an assumption that they were faulty. Major damage to reputation when they really did the right and good thing!

Keep in mind - NTHSA mandates are for MANUFACTURER. As a consumer you CAN disable the monitor (preset warning points become fairly moot anyway unless the tires installed are EXACT replacements for the OEMs) and states really have not set laws yet regarding disabling or altering (how do you know what the danger point is in a non OEM unless you are an engineer with access to all the data so how can a state mandate what you do with it?) - but keep in mind if you sell it and the new owner ever gets in a tire related fatality - your assets become targets for their lawyer when the black box shows it was disabled or altered!!!

This fiasco was one of the things that drove me out of the customs manufacturing career - it was just getting too crazy with "someone else" must look after me stuff just like this (we got sued over a precise fuel guage - at "empty" it died and the guy was rear ended - his arguement was in every other car when it says empty I still have a ways to go... duh EMPTY MEANS EMPTY YOU MORON!!!!! - we prevailed - but only because we did not come under NHTSA mandates building fewer than 12 of any same model per year so were not required to build a reserve into the display of fuel level).
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Tireguy
2009 JK Wrangler 

Remove the negative battery cable, wait five minutes, reinstall the cable, and see what becomes of your mystery light(s) problem. This simple procedure seems to work wonders for errant computer attitude issues.
Tireguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp0313 View Post
Did you ever find out what is causing the intermittent flashing with the tpms and alarm led? I experienced the same issue this morning while driving into work. Just to note, it was raining this morning as well.
Never found out the issue. The battery was swapped for a new one so the negative cable thing didn't work as it did it again. I'm still not sure what the issue is but I'm figuring it's some kind of faulty seal somewhere. Basically you have to live with it

1998 TJ Sahara Sold

1994 YJ SE Sold

1960 Willys Wagon

-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
slp0313
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the update! I pulled the negative battery cable last night, but no issues this morning. I'll have to wait to see if it happens again during the next rainfall we get.

Will keep searching and will update you if I find out.
slp0313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
fjr_wlb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hello, same issue here. Did you ever get this resolved?
Thanks in advance!!
fjr_wlb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
bradyt24

need help with this one

Did this ever get resolved? I am having the same issue on 2008 JK and its an automatic.
bradyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Never had this issue resolved. Tried the battery trick multiple times and looked at the connections behind the dash, no luck whatsoever.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold

1994 YJ SE Sold

1960 Willys Wagon

-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.