Tire fitment - 33/12.5/17 on stock wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tire fitment - 33/12.5/17 on stock wheels

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Morb
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tire fitment - 33/12.5/17 on stock wheels

I need to get some "interim" tires for the winter as I wait to fund my lift and 35's. I'm already running BW flat flares. Wondering if I can run a 33x12.5 on the stock wheels, and would they require spacers to avoid contacting anything.

My stock rubi tires are cupped due to dealer overfilling the tires and my lazy *** not noticing until it was too late. Spare is riding rear driverside as I pulled a 3" lag screw out of the tire last week.

Thanks .

Morb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

A 12.5 tire on the stock rim is a tight fit and usually not recommended by the tire mfgr. The 12.5 width will rub on full lock turns without a spacer to decrease stock rim backspacing....please read the FAQ on Will it Rub...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Morb
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thank you, was looking for that thread. Appreciate the pointer.
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, you need spacers. A 1.5" Spidertrax will fit the bill. Don't cheap out on the spacer.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have two BFG Mud Terrain's (stock rubi tires) that I just took off my jeep I'm selling. Make me a good offer and their yours. Check the for sale section, or look up my post under my profile.
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The only drawback/w the 33"/spacers and a square tread tires--

With stock bumpers the tires will rub on full turns, the spacers save in one way and detract in another--

watch out what tires you buy, for tread design-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Morb
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Jimbo. I'm running a RR XHD shorty bumper in the front. Frankly I'm reluctant to buy any tires now, but I dont have the room (physically or financially) to clear 35's and I don't have the tread life on the current 32's. On my old Xterra I ran Toyo AT's on stock rims in the winter and Destination MT's on steelies during the wheeling season...that prolongued the life of the MT's and gave me solid traction for Canadian winters. Anyway..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.