Tire Carrier options? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tire Carrier options?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 06-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #31
river2c
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
The stubby bumper concerned me because I figured you'd be smashing that tire on the ground when offroading on steep inclines. Any issues like that?
No issues here. The bottom of the tire rests high up near the top of the bumper and with the TF hinged carrier rides very tight to the tailgate. I don't think you can get a rear bumper with any more departure angle unless you cut the frame. The bottom of my spare is 31" off the ground and I could raise it another inch to the 37" holes if needed.

Unread 06-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #32
TG32

was about to pull the trigger on the teraflex - but then had a few people look at the crack in the tailgate - and was told that the teraflex may still result in a rattle because the rattle isn't coming from the hinges it's coming from the tailgate itself. The teraflex doesn't remove all stress from the gate it just improves its strenght. Talked to a welder and he couldn't guarantee that reinforcing the crack by spot welding would work. Seems the best option is a carrier that mounts to the bumper. As far as i know - there isn't anything that uses the stock bumper correct?
So I'm looking at the Rancho RS6221B. What are all your thoughts on that bumper/carrier combo?
TG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #33
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

AEV's tire carrier will work with the stock bumper but its not cheap either...
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #34
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

We had a guy locally that had the Rancho bumper and he absolutely hated it. it squeaked and rattle like crazy....absolute piece of junk.
LVCapo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #35
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road View Post
Your current spare is mounted to the stock carrier right? If so, the weak spot is the hinges. This TeraFlex carrier is under $500.00 shipped, and will solve your problem by swapping out the hinges...

http://www.krawloff-road.com/product_p/tf-4838100.htm

-Jason
sorry, I just have to laugh at the "it's under $500". Yeah, buy $.05

They do seem to have great reviews. I would love the Poison Spyder rockbrawler II tire carrier but I would rather have the older bumper that allows you to use the stock receiver. But that one you need to modify the frame rails. I guess I could do the newer bumper as well and then just relocate the electrical to the bumper.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #36
TG32

urgh....i really hope the rancho isn't that terrible. i know you get what you pay for. anyone have first hand experience with it and LIKE it?

T
TG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #37
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ Man, it is a mechanical device, you can always upgrade it somehow with new interference-fit brass bushings, shims and/or bearings or whatever it needs to fix it if you are so inclined.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.