Tire Carrier options? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tire Carrier options?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 05-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy18 View Post
Nice! I'm looking to run the same carrier and was curious if I'd need the adjustable mount too. I'm only running stock wheels with spacers tho. Do you think I can clear a 35x12.50 on the stock rim or will I run into issues bc of the backspace? I don't want to spend the extra cash for the adj. mount if its not needed. Thx.
Without the proper backspacing it won't sit out far enough on stock wheels

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's what I thought. It's expensive but perfect. Still gonna get it eventually with the adjustable piece unless I get rims.. Oh, here we go..
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
TG32

thanks again everyone. the smittybuilt is nice and cheap but i don't think it is independent of the tailgate - and like i said - putting the tire weight on the tailgate will cause a horrible rattle because the tailgate has already started to buckle from the weight of the tire.
I like that teraflex option and may go with that. looks like the carrier would support the tire and avoid pressure on the tailgate.
i've resorted to taking the tire off for now and the rattle is gone - those who have experience with this carrier: would this likely ensure that rattle is gone or is there still a bit of pressure on the tailgate?
also: what's the cheapest anyone has found it?
ps. i'm in North Dakota (someone asked earlier)

T
TG32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
brighton
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have the Teraflex hinged carrier and I'm also using it with the stock mount. I'll get the adjustable mount eventually.

It's not inexpensive but it is very sturdy and I'm pleased with it. I bought mine from Jason at Krawl Off-Road.
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

1X on the Teraflex hinge carrier. solid piece of equipment and zero rattles. plus it does give you the option to go with just about any bumper you want.
Unread 05-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #21
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have the TF hinge, too (with the OEM bracket) for my 35x12.5's and it is fantastic. Easy install, no more rattle. Good to go. BTW, you might be able to find some good deals on it now due to the holiday weekend.
Good luck!

Skids- Sway Bar, c. arms, s.mounts, oil pan, evap. cannister, EVO C2 front axle Gussets...
jehnmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
TG32

thanks for the replies. looks like the TF hinge is the way to go. found is somewhere for 450. may go that route.
I appreciate all the help.

T
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG32 View Post
thanks for the replies. looks like the TF hinge is the way to go. found is somewhere for 450. may go that route.
I appreciate all the help.

T

That's a good price...did it include shipping, too? I found mine for $400 (just the bracket) shipped from mudflaps.com a few months back. I don't think they're offering this deal anymore, but it might be worth a call to them to check.
Good luck!

Skids- Sway Bar, c. arms, s.mounts, oil pan, evap. cannister, EVO C2 front axle Gussets...
jehnmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #24
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've been thinking about getting the teraflex because I just went with the JCR stubby bumper and my stock wheels will no longer fit on the tire carrier. I know I could just get a wheel spacer/bracket and that'll work, but I'd like to run 35's so I feel like just solving this problem permenantly. My question for those of you have the adjustable teraflex is: what is the distance from the 37" mount to the bottom of the gate? The JCR stubby doesn't have a dip like most bumpers.
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #25
MonsterJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

I just ordered my TF hinge for $400 shipped from 4x4 Group Buy. I think I've seen it around that price on a few other sites, too.
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #26
TG32

i haven't been able to find it at 400. just emailed group buy to see if i can get it at that price. i'll keep looking to see if anyone else has it at that price i suppose.

T
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
MonsterJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

T,

That was for just the hinged carrier and not with the adjustable tire carrier. I'm only running 33"s and don't have any clearance problems with the swing door or bumper.
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
TG32

MonsterJ: PM sent
Unread 06-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #29
river2c
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybomber View Post
I've been thinking about getting the teraflex because I just went with the JCR stubby bumper and my stock wheels will no longer fit on the tire carrier. I know I could just get a wheel spacer/bracket and that'll work, but I'd like to run 35's so I feel like just solving this problem permenantly. My question for those of you have the adjustable teraflex is: what is the distance from the 37" mount to the bottom of the gate? The JCR stubby doesn't have a dip like most bumpers.
I have the TF hinged carrier with adjustable tire mount with the JCR stubby rear bumper. My 35" tire fits fine mounted on the 35" holes but I also have 3.5" backspacing wheels. I think 4.5" backspacing wheels would still just barely fit. The 37" holes would give you plenty of room for any 35" tire/wheel combo but a 37" tire would be close with the JCR stubby without the proper backspacing. The TF hinged carrier is awesome.
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #30
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by river2c View Post
I have the TF hinged carrier with adjustable tire mount with the JCR stubby rear bumper. My 35" tire fits fine mounted on the 35" holes but I also have 3.5" backspacing wheels. I think 4.5" backspacing wheels would still just barely fit. The 37" holes would give you plenty of room for any 35" tire/wheel combo but a 37" tire would be close with the JCR stubby without the proper backspacing. The TF hinged carrier is awesome.
The stubby bumper concerned me because I figured you'd be smashing that tire on the ground when offroading on steep inclines. Any issues like that?

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.