Tips on purchasing a Jeep JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tips on purchasing a Jeep JK

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
jk2311

Tips on purchasing a Jeep JK

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering purchasing a Jeep JK as my first vehicle. I have never been off-roading, however I go camping in the country often and the idea of off-roading interests me a lot. That said, I would also drive a vehicle in the city but my commute is very short.

My specific question is that I would like to buy a low-end model given my budget. Would it be preferable to purchase a new Jeep or seek out a used one? I have read that the Jeep has a very high resale value, and my thinking is that means the price between a new and a used is not huge (as compared to other vehicles).

In regards to overall performance, I read mixed opinions in that the new Jeep Wrangler's are not as good as the older models (even those that are 5 years older). Any opinions on that?

Thanks!

jk2311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

The new 2012 have a new motor and 5 speed auto transmission that come from the grand cherokee, the manual is the same 6 speed. More power but at a higher rpm rate then the old 3.8. Just this fact may sway you into the new model. The 2011 models were refreshed with a all new interior so that is something to consider vs. the 2007-2010 models. Some like the new look some don't. If you plan on putting big tires on it axle gearing will be an issue so you might want to look up some threads on gearing. I would avoid a jeep with 3.21 axle gearing unless you plan to re-gear it in the future.

The automatic transmission in the 2007-2011 is poorly matched to the gearing in the axles and therefore the performance is rather lacking, if you can drive a manual and are not planning on building a hard core rock crawler I would recommend the 6 speed. I have not read much or driven a 2012 auto so I cant really comment on that combo.

If you are looking at older jeeps, the 2007 models had several available options that were specific to that year. You could get 4.10 gearing in any model not just the rubicon. You could also get the rubicon electronic sway bar disconnect, and a rear E locker.

A stock jeep is a very capable off road vehicle, you will be impressed with what it will do. The biggest upgrade for a stock is in the tire area going from an all weather to a mud terrain makes a huge difference in wet conditions off road.

The rubicon model will give you some upgrades that are very expensive if you have to purchase aftermarket. The front dana 44 axle and the front and rear lockers will cost close to $5000 and the 4.10 gearing with the 6 speed manual will allow you to run up to 35" tires without doing a re-gear. Re-gearing and axle can cost between $1200-2500 depending on your location. The Rubicon also comes with a super 4:1 gear reduction in the transfer case vs the 2.72:1 on the other models. This will make slow driving over obstacles and up steep slopes easier.

I hope you can find the right jeep for you and welcome to the community
Unread 10-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
JASJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I found because resale is so good not much difference between a used 2007-10 or a new '11 when I first started looking early this year. Could get a low optioned 2 door nearing $20k new. Upgraded interior to me is huge which started in 2011. New motor for 2012 is a must IMO. The depreciation you will see in a new 2011 makes the slight extra cost of a 2012 a no brainer to me. Sign up with tread lightly to get 1% below invoice at participating dealers or maybe you can do even better than that, some have. You'll have to order a low option one I'd think, for a base model I'd think important to get 3.73 gearing and the upgraded diff, the rest are personal tastes. I'd think for two door you'd be down in the low $20s then. Good luck. Just got my first one, loving it!
JASJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
murfysflaw
2011 JK Wrangler 

I also found used ones to be priced so high that it didn't make sense to not just buy a new one. I haven't driven a '12 yet, mainly because I don't want to be mad I bought an '11! I've heard of a few folks trading in 11s on 12s and coming out pretty good... who knows... maybe I'll check on that when I drop mine off for service this week.

Good luck!
murfysflaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
GXP20T
2010 JK Wrangler 

Are you planning on modifiying or keeping it stock?
GXP20T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Depends on what your budget its, if your willing to spend 20k def just get a new one! I found a left over 2011 for the same price has a 08 w/45,000 miles on it... 08 had same equipment minus the LSD the 2011 came with
JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Tropics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk2311 View Post
I would like to buy a low-end model given my budget.
I am guessing he is not going to be regearing or throwing 37's and a 4 inch lift on it if he is not even thinking Rubicon due to the differences in price...

Think non-modded 2011 or 2012 Sport that will be driven as recieved, vs a used jeep.

Right now if you can haggle well you should be able to get a smoking deal on a 2011 Wrangler, the lower model jeeps like the Sport are some of the cheapest vehicles out there you can buy and with the new 2012 engine out those 2011's need to get off the lot and the only way they are doing that is way cheaper then the 2012's.

I would buy new, the used market is NOT a good deal ATM from what I have seen. There are people asking more for their 6 month old Jeeps with 5000km on them then the dealers are willing to drop down to for a new one with the same specs. I have seen this first hand, some of the dealers out there can be haggled with and will move huge on a 2011 if you can work them, they want those things gone.

Go talk around, go not to one dealership but to afew and get a feel for what the dealers can do. Don't tell them "you are buying", tell them you are "thinking about buying a new jeep". Ask them about the differences between the 2011 and 2012, when they comment on the engine difference make a point to saying how much more powerful that 2012 is. When they say "ya it is great eh!" you can then comment on "yeah but who the heck is going to buy one of those 20 2011's you still have at this point? There has to be some sick deals on those I would imagine?" See where they go from there. When you go to the next locations make a small note that you have been talking to other dodge dealerships and seeing what types of deals they had going and if the right deal comes around you will probably sign the papers today, they will come down to about as low as possible before they let you walk out the door.
Tropics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASJ View Post
I found because resale is so good not much difference between a used 2007-10 or a new '11 when I first started looking early this year. Could get a low optioned 2 door nearing $20k new. Upgraded interior to me is huge which started in 2011. New motor for 2012 is a must IMO. The depreciation you will see in a new 2011 makes the slight extra cost of a 2012 a no brainer to me. Sign up with tread lightly to get 1% below invoice at participating dealers or maybe you can do even better than that, some have. You'll have to order a low option one I'd think, for a base model I'd think important to get 3.73 gearing and the upgraded diff, the rest are personal tastes. I'd think for two door you'd be down in the low $20s then. Good luck. Just got my first one, loving it!
which upgraded diff?

is it a stand alone option or part of a package?

Thanks,

john
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Everyone is giving rave reviews to the 2012 in terms of the new motor, but I have an 08 with a tuner and really have no complaints.. the 3.8's seem pretty bulletproof
Unread 10-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
jk2311

Wow, thanks for all the detailed replies!

Dirtman, definitely you gave me a lot to consider and since I am new to the Jeep world, I will have to do my homework. Thanks.
Tropics, thanks for the advice on buying new and you are right about dealers wanting to sell the '11 stock given that the '12 stock has a newer and better engine. I will definitely make note of that when I visit a few here in Toronto. I plan on doing that tomorrow.

It seems to be that going new is the better approach, so I will look into that for now. And yes I would prefer manual as that is what I often drive and prefer the feel of control over the vehicle.

In regards to modifying or keeping stock, I'd have to say stock since I am new to the Jeep world as mentioned and don't expect to modify anything anytime soon.

Thanks everyone
jk2311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid

which upgraded diff?

is it a stand alone option or part of a package?

Thanks,

john
I think hes refering to the LSD? If so its a stand alone option
JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

#1 Rule to buying a Jeep: Just Empty Every Pocket. Once you buy a Jeep, you will quickly understand this. Jeep is an addiction, but a GREAT addiction.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Hunter7158
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you all. I'm also in this process. Selling my 97 ranger and 06 corolla this month to make a down payment on a 2012 2dr rubicon.
Unread 10-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk2311 View Post
Wow, thanks for all the detailed replies!

In regards to modifying or keeping stock, I'd have to say stock since I am new to the Jeep world as mentioned and don't expect to modify anything anytime soon.

Thanks everyone
Yeah right, I said the same thing about $7,000 ago.

Good luck with your choice, but believe me, you'll find all kinds of little addons to buy. It's fun, it's a pain in the ***, but it's a jeep !
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Rooster76
2012 JK Wrangler 

Buy New for 1% below invoice with Tread Lightly

Get 1% below invoice with Tread Lightly
If your going to get a new one then I would ask the dealership if they honor the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards Program. If they do you can get 1% below invoice price by paying $60 to sign up for Tread Lightly. <---(Check Link) Then the most they can charge over that price is a $75 doc fee. You can go to www.Edmonds.com to figure out what the invoice is.

Another tip on getting a new one is to get the 3.73 rear end gear ratio.

Get a manual if your getting a used Jeep.
If you want to get an automatic transmission I would go for the 2012. It has a way better transmission and is hands down no question the way to go. If your wanting an older JK I would get it in manual where that has way better gearing and thus performance. If you found a good deal with an older manual it would be worth giving it a shot.
Rooster76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.