JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   TIPM repaired? Time will tell. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/tipm-repaired-time-will-tell-1453158/)

RichC 12-22-2012 01:05 AM

TIPM repaired? Time will tell.

Well, finally had to do something about my TIPM and the dreaded possessed jeep syndrome. About 2 years ago it did the horn, wipers, washers all on thing with the added bonus of not being able to turn the engine off. The fix then was smack the top of the TIPM and all was good. Never had a problem until 2 days ago. This time I was driving down the road at night and it did the same thing again. Pull over smack the TIPM and all is good. Now today it did it 2 times but the second time I did the ‘ol smack it fixed the horn, wipers, etc but now the headlights don't work!

Decided to dismantle the unit to see what could be the problem. This is NOT A SIMPLE TASK and I don't know if its fixed yet. Unless you’re JK is in the garage dead waiting on an endless backorder for a TIPM, do not attempt. That being said I spent about an hour removing the fuses and relays and releasing clips to get to the circuit board. Now what I found was interesting. Most of the board is wave soldered (by machine) but all the pins that connect fuses to the circuit board are hand soldered. Some of these connections didn’t look very good to me so I resoldered them again using leaded solder. I'm not a fan of the ROHs compliance (lead free) and that could be part of the problem. IF you’re thinking of doing this you’ll need a hi heat iron because the tabs are big and absorb a lot of heat.

Anyway, Spent another hour reassembling the unit and installing. Everything works for now…….. I’ll let you know if this fix “holds” at a later date. This is about the only thing I could think of that could cause all these problems. It’s not a complete power failure otherwise the jeep would just die and nothing would work. My thought is part of the computer loses power or ground and it starts getting random input commands to turn on the horn, etc. There’s nothing wrong with the horn, wiper, or washer circuits, they work just fine. It’s the computer tells all this stuff to turn on. Most of the circuit board is assembled by machine and is very solid, its the hand soldering that requires enough heat to get a good transfer of solder, but not so much that you ruin the circuit trace that worries me.

Only time will tell

JLC08JK 12-22-2012 01:16 AM

Hope it works for you:thumbsup:

Thought I would add this link to show just how complicated that module really is > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...study-1200238/
This and many other useful threads can be found in the JK F.A.Q.

Please keep us updated on the success of your fix.
:tea:

RichC 12-23-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLC08JK (Post 14655156)
Hope it works for you:thumbsup:

Thought I would add this link to show just how complicated that module really is > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...study-1200238/
This and many other useful threads can be found in the JK F.A.Q.

Please keep us updated on the success of your fix.
:tea:

I actually used that link for putting all the fuses back in! The strangest thing i found was nowhere in this link or in the schematics does it show what drives the headlights. All the relays are accounted for and I ddint really find any heavy duty chips that could drive a lamp in the unit.

So far everything is working but just taking it apart could have fixed the connection that was loose. If others decide to take on the task of resoldering the fuse tabs on the circuit board, please post your results. This might be the fix that keeps you from being on that dreaded backorder list.

RichC 07-25-2013 12:20 PM

Well after months of no possessed jeep syndrome, it started again. The cause remains a mystery. I also found out that there were other problems with my Wrangler that were caused by the TIPM. Heater fan would stop working at random times but turning the ignition off/on would fix it. Random times it wouldn't start but turning the key off/on would fix that too.

So, I called the local dealer, lied that I worked for a big construction company in town and got a new TIPM for $250 (vs $300) with a $75 core charge. The part was in L.A. so it arrived the next day. Takes about 20 minutes or less to replace. And yes, you can program it yourself. Install the unit, seat the airbag fuse (it will be up), and reconnect the battery. Turn the car to the on position but do not start. Wait 12 seconds or until the motor icon begins to flash. Turn the ignition to off and go ahead and start the car as normal. The TIPM controls everything but the engine so you need to try everything in the car to make sure it all works.

By the way, the flashing motor icon means that you will not pass a smog test! This is because you unplugged the battery and wiped out the emission history. Read my other post on how to clear this before if you need to get a smog test in the near future.

I guess the good news is TIPMs are readily available these days and the cost is about $250 to $300. What sucks is that they are so unreliable.

ronjenx 07-25-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC (Post 15717562)
Well after months of no possessed jeep syndrome, it started again. The cause remains a mystery. I also found out that there were other problems with my Wrangler that were caused by the TIPM. Heater fan would stop working at random times but turning the ignition off/on would fix it. Random times it wouldn't start but turning the key off/on would fix that too.

So, I called the local dealer, lied that I worked for a big construction company in town and got a new TIPM for $250 (vs $300) with a $75 core charge. The part was in L.A. so it arrived the next day. Takes about 20 minutes or less to replace. And yes, you can program it yourself. Install the unit, seat the airbag fuse (it will be up), and reconnect the battery. Turn the car to the on position but do not start. Wait 12 seconds or until the motor icon begins to flash. Turn the ignition to off and go ahead and start the car as normal. The TIPM controls everything but the engine so you need to try everything in the car to make sure it all works.

By the way, the flashing motor icon means that you will not pass a smog test! This is because you unplugged the battery and wiped out the emission history. Read my other post on how to clear this before if you need to get a smog test in the near future.

I guess the good news is TIPMs are readily available these days and the cost is about $250 to $300. What sucks is that they are so unreliable.

I hope the new TIPM works for you.

I wonder if the problems with the TIPM are heat related.
It gets pretty hot under the hood.

LoneWolf 09-10-2013 02:21 AM

Go fishing much?

Sent via Jeep Wave from my iPhone

The time now is 01:52 PM.