TIMP or Multifunction switch help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > TIMP or Multifunction switch help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
jenniferjeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

TIMP or Multifunction switch help

Head light will not come on or com on then go out randomly. Just put in a new Sears Diehard batter. Not sur if it is the TIPM or the multifunction switch. Has anyone had a problem like this and if so what was the fix?

jenniferjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
jenniferjeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Took out the TIPM and it was hot to touch. Is this normal?
Unread 09-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjeep View Post
Took out the TIPM and it was hot to touch. Is this normal?
Was this after it had been running for a while? How did it compare to other items in the engine bay?
There is a lot of heat under the JK hood.
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
jenniferjeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

IT's 100 degrees here today and it was after I drove 10 miles. I was expecting it to be warm. I'm trying to find out which part to replace.
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
goodwrenchdave
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do you realize the price of these items? Is it really worth it to guess.

I suggest that you take the vehicle to the dealer where they are equipped with the proper equipment- with a scan of the LIN master data it is possible to see the request (position seen) from the multifunction switch and the request/response from the TIPM. Both of your questions will be answered within minutes, without probing/guessing/disassembly.
If the data is incorrect: further diagnosis may be needed to confirm it is not a wiring problem. Even if you do not want them to repair/replace ; at least you will know where the problem is from.

Granted this is not a wrangler- but the setup is similar: this is so you get an idea how everything works:
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.