Ticking / knocking sound - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ticking / knocking sound

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #31
bajafanatic
2007 JK Wrangler 

HERE IS THE UPDATE....

I heard back from Chrysler today... They are NOT going to help with anything at all... the local dealer is stepping up and trying to help... they are even go to work extra hard with the extended warranty company to get something toward the fix...
I am leaning toward the short block and fixing it right... but I do have the option of a long block (not and OEM product) or I could just do crank and bearings.....

anybody have any input...
I sure could use some help making the decision...

bajafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #32
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajafanatic View Post
HERE IS THE UPDATE....

I heard back from Chrysler today... They are NOT going to help with anything at all... the local dealer is stepping up and trying to help... they are even go to work extra hard with the extended warranty company to get something toward the fix...
I am leaning toward the short block and fixing it right... but I do have the option of a long block (not and OEM product) or I could just do crank and bearings.....

anybody have any input...
I sure could use some help making the decision...
How is the long block "not an OEM product"? A long block would include the heads, correct? A short block is minus the heads (as far as I know). Are you saying that the short block is a Chrysler part and the long block is from some random supplier?

I would go for the long block, assuming it's OEM....but then again, "OEM" didn't do you all that much good the first time around!

I still think you should go for the option that will get you the most number of new parts in the fix, and I think that would be a long block. However, I would definitely want to know where the engine is being sourced from. Just my .02.
pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #33
bajafanatic
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzle View Post
How is the long block "not an OEM product"? A long block would include the heads, correct? A short block is minus the heads (as far as I know). Are you saying that the short block is a Chrysler part and the long block is from some random supplier?

I would go for the long block, assuming it's OEM....but then again, "OEM" didn't do you all that much good the first time around!

I still think you should go for the option that will get you the most number of new parts in the fix, and I think that would be a long block. However, I would definitely want to know where the engine is being sourced from. Just my .02.
The long block is not OEM.. it is aftermarket... but has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.... I am leaning this direction...
Thanks for your .02... At this point, I will take any and all input...
Unread 07-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #34
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The long block is not OEM.. it is aftermarket... but has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.... I am leaning this direction...
Thanks for your .02... At this point, I will take any and all input...
It's a shame you can't negotiate with them to maybe pay some of the bill yourself in exchange for swapping in a Hemi.

Good luck with everything. Post back the final decision and end results (after the work is done).
pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #35
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wait a minutes, when I bought my JKU brand-new in early 2008, it came with a 3yr/36k warranty and LIFETIME warranty on power train. This is clearly a power train issue. Why would a third party warranty company be involved to begin with? Or, were you not the original owner? Or, did Chrysler stop this practice?

Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #36
bajafanatic
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am not the original owner... but I was told by the dealer that the warranty would carry over... obviously not...

I thought that since it is only 1,000 miles outside the warranty that they would at least help... since this seems to be a bad tolerance issue from the factory... but Chrysler does not want to help...

So.. we will now see if the extended warranty company will help.. or I just pay for it all myself...
Unread 07-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #37
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I am not the original owner... but I was told by the dealer that the warranty would carry over... obviously not...

I thought that since it is only 1,000 miles outside the warranty that they would at least help... since this seems to be a bad tolerance issue from the factory... but Chrysler does not want to help...

So.. we will now see if the extended warranty company will help.. or I just pay for it all myself...

Yikes, sorry buddy.

Hang in there & get the new engine and move on. It's just a vehicle.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #38
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Lifetime power train warranty applies only to the original owner.

I hate those damn lying dealers!
OH9JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #39
bajafanatic
2007 JK Wrangler 

WOW... just heard from the dealer.. the extended warranty company wants to find a used, yes, used motor with less miles than my JK... I know that they will not find one, because they also want the seller, i.e. junk yard to warranty the motor and install cost...

This is just getting really sad...

STAY TUNED...
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #40
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yup, third party warranties are horrible. Who is yours through?

AEV sells 3.8's with next to no miles on them for $1,500. Probably less than the cost of the extended warranty.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #41
JEEP_GREEN_4DR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
WOW... just heard from the dealer.. the extended warranty company wants to find a used, yes, used motor with less miles than my JK... I know that they will not find one, because they also want the seller, i.e. junk yard to warranty the motor and install cost...

STAY TUNED...
Try to get hooked up with a shop that does JK Hemi installs. They're constantly pulling motors out and selling them.

So, the warranty company wants a junkyard to warranty the motor they're pulling out of a dead Jeep? WTF?
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #42
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

STAY TUNED...
I feel for you Bud. This really sucks, but Its not surprising for the aftermarket warranty company to only replace an old motor with a used motor and not totally unrealistic to expect a motor warranty from an automotive recycler. Our local recyclers (bone yards) always offer 3-6 month warranties on engines, dependent on mileage of course. You will still get a better motor then what you have at no cost to you.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #43
bajafanatic
2007 JK Wrangler 

IS EVERYONE SITTING DOWN....

the dealership just called... the warranty company gave them the go ahead to put a new motor...

They are ordering it and I should have my JK back by next Tuesday!!!!!!
Unread 07-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #44
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

What a nightmare!
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #45
nj-rubi
2008 JK Wrangler 

wow

just read the tread. I feel your pain. I have a 3rd warranty company with mine a well. bought it with 11k miles on her.... the dealer talked me into a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. hope i never have to use it. but as in your situationI am sure you are glad it is there.
nj-rubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.