Thump and rattle from front end? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Thump and rattle from front end?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
JPWrangler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thump and rattle from front end?

I just bought a 2010 JKU and am experiencing a problem. It has less than 300miles on it and has not seen the trail yet.

I hear a thump or rattle sound in the front end---possibly on the drivers side. I hear it especially if I hit a small bump or something in the road. If the bump is a little bigger, there is a thump and then a rattle that sounds like something flops around a little bit. I know the weather is cold (12 this AM) but should I be hearing such sounds? I have not been under it due to the snow, ice and temps. Anyone else have experience with this sort of problem?

I thought that maybe the temps are affecting the bushings, etc., but I don't think a new one should be so loose. Any thoughts?

Unread 12-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Any chance it's coming from the passenger door?
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
JPWrangler
2010 JK Wrangler 

No. It is definately from the front end. I have heard similar sounds from my Dad's old '79 Cherokee a long time ago. It sounds like something is loose or shifting under there. My '05TJ made the sound a few times, but that was after some rough use and many miles.
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Can you feel it in the steering wheel? Just some small/slight bumps right?
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
JPWrangler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I believe that you can feel it, at least indirectly. I know you can sure hear it. Yeah, just little bumps in the road. Even going down the road hitting imperfections in th roadway. I first thought it was simply dry bushings and the cold weather, but then I heard the rattling sound afer the initial thumps. At first, I thought the suspension was just flexing in the cold weaher, but now I'm not so sure.
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

I believe that you have the infamous "Steering Clunk" in your Intermediate Shaft. Unfortunately it is pretty common with Wranglers. It has to do with a bushing/sleeve on the Intermediate Shaft in the engine compartment at the firewall. I would search the forum for this, and you will see that there are MANY threads covering this one. I believe that it is a sticky in the FAQ's section at the top as well?
Unread 12-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I doubt that you have the dreaded “steering clunk” with so few miles. You need to find somewhere where you can crawl under you Jeep and take a good hard look. Things like the plastic air damm, shock bushings etc. Take a look at this (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...cause-1023438/) too, maybe your problem.
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
JPWrangler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I hope it is not the steering clunk problem. I would hate to have such a headache already. I would have been under the Jeep already, if it were not for the snow in the driveway. When I can, I'll be under there with a fine toothed comb. Thanks for everyone's help.

I read some of the post about the steering clunk. I do not remember if I really felt anything significant through the steering wheel or just heard it. I am going to have to do more in-depth trouble shooting when the weather permits.

It sounds like through my reading the the steering clunk problem can have multiple causes and can be really a PITA to fix.
Unread 12-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Which ever it is, you should be able to have it looked at and fixed under warranty, right?
Unread 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
JPWrangler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah. It is just like I left the dealership with it. Nothing modified. It is just aggravating----the dealership is 1 1/2 hours away.
Unread 12-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Oh, boo. I can understand why you want to know exactly what it is before going in then.
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
JPWrangler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, it is quite a drive for a shot in the dark. I'd like to know so I can get it fixed in one visit.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.