Thumbs-up on Magnitude Engineering door hinge bushings - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Thumbs-up on Magnitude Engineering door hinge bushings

Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Closed Thread
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
I think the soft-doors are going to destroy these. At least when the Teflon wears off of the factory bushings, there is metal barrier. With these it's straight to hinge paint.
Why would the be? And why more so than the hard doors?

Unread 10-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #17
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Why would the be? And why more so than the hard doors?
It will wear faster because the door interfaces differently with the hinge. It basically hooks in instead of having two cylinders sitting on top of each other and evenly spreading the force.

Unread 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #18
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It will wear faster because the door interfaces differently with the hinge. It basically hooks in instead of having two cylinders sitting on top of each other and evenly spreading the force.
Ah, yes! I can see that now.
But, don't underestimate the wear resistance of Delrin.

If I were to make some for the soft doors, I would make a thicker hat on the bushing, and a closer clearance on the pin.
But then, I would be committed to the soft doors all the time.
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ah, yes! I can see that now.
But, don't underestimate the wear resistance of Delrin.

If I were to make some for the soft doors, I would make a thicker hat on the bushing.
Yeah, I won't replace these until I put the hard doors on for winter. Then, I'll buy the black magic bushings next time. At $55 a pop every two years or so, (maybe even less $ because the back doors don't get used as often) I'm willing to support a small company and just keep replacing them.
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #20
Tight_wad
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Looks like the soft doors needs a washer tacked on there as a flange to help keep them from getting destroyed? Easy fix, I would think.
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #21
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
Looks like the soft doors needs a washer tacked on there as a flange to help keep them from getting destroyed? Easy fix, I would think.
Not as easy as buying new bushings every few years :-)
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #22
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
Maybe the door is light enough so it's not a factor.
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe the door is light enough so it's not a factor.
Well, they've completely destroyed the factory bushings. But, only time will tell. I'll report back this time next year and let you know :-)
Unread 11-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #24
mecheng10
Vendor

Original Innovator of Polymer Jeep Door Hinge Bushings

Magnitude Engineering is the original innovator of machined polymer bushings for Jeep Wrangler door hinges. Support of domestic companies that create innovative products meeting the niche needs of customers helps fuel the local economy. These are now offered in multiple sizes and colors for a wide range of Jeep Wrangler vehicles.

http://magnitude-engineering.com/products.html
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #25
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

removed

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts
Unread 11-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #26
Jagtec1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Bringing this up from a while ago. I ordered and have the new Delrin bushings, and got the top halves of the bushings out. It looks like the new bushings are deeper than the old ones...or is there a "lower" half of the old bushings that needs to be removed also?

Thanks
Unread 11-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #27
sleepjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

There is only one part to each door bushing. It appears that they are coated in Teflon on the inside. I used a three inch long half inch diameter bolt to remove the old bushings. It took all of about five minutes to remove seven of the bushings. The first bushing took a lot longer because I used a 9mm deep socket and that was too small a diameter and it wedged self in the old bushing. The new delrin bushings tap into place very easy.
Unread 11-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #28
Jagtec1
2009 JK Wrangler 

On my 98 Wrangler Sport, there is a definite "lip" about half way down in the hinge hole. The new bushings are about twice the length, or depth of the ones that came out. Either they are the wrong bushings, or there is a second portion of bushing that remains in the lower half both hinge holes. There is no way that the new Delrin bushings would fully seat, because of the lower half being occupied by either bushing, or smaller ID hinge hole. The bottom half cannot be easily driven out (if at all)...and I will have to continue working on it tomorrow, as I'm out of patience and daylight.

Does anyone who has installed new bushings recall the hinge hole having a "stop" about half way down (all the way to the bottom of the hole)....where the ID is about 2mm less than the upper half?
Unread 11-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #29
Jagtec1
2009 JK Wrangler 

I also just realized that this is the JK forum!
Unread 11-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #30
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1 View Post
On my 98 Wrangler Sport, there is a definite "lip" about half way down in the hinge hole. The new bushings are about twice the length, or depth of the ones that came out. Either they are the wrong bushings, or there is a second portion of bushing that remains in the lower half both hinge holes. There is no way that the new Delrin bushings would fully seat, because of the lower half being occupied by either bushing, or smaller ID hinge hole. The bottom half cannot be easily driven out (if at all)...and I will have to continue working on it tomorrow, as I'm out of patience and daylight.

Does anyone who has installed new bushings recall the hinge hole having a "stop" about half way down (all the way to the bottom of the hole)....where the ID is about 2mm less than the upper half?
I think you're just ripping the top half of the factory bushing out. Get a scribe and jam it between the hinge and whatever you're seeing.
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.