This thud is driving me crazy! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > This thud is driving me crazy!

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Ruffstuff 10 year saleSmittybilt XRC M.O.D Bumper and Brush Guard

Unread 07-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Lyoungman

This thud is driving me crazy!

I have a 2012 Wrangler sport unlimited. On windy days there is a thud under my front wheel wells. At first I thought it was my after marker mud flaps, I removed them. And still today thud. Im always going straight at at high speeds 55/70. Has anyone experienced this. Im thinking its my wheel well liners, they are flimsy and dont appear to be attached well. Anyone else have this issue, or am I losing my mind!!! The dealership has looked in the past, all looked well.

Hoping for a cheap fix, suggestions are welcome.

Lyoungman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
2013 JK Wrangler 

I searched around for a thud on our 2013 Rubicon that was making me crazy. I could not pin point where it was it sounded like it came from so many different places.

I finally found out it was the tailgate latch wasn't grabbing the retaining rod tightly and it would make a thud due to the slack whenever I took off, or slowed down or at other random times.

I had the girlfriend drive me around and do different driving maneuvers in a parking lot as I sat in all the other seats, including stuffing myself (I am 6'5 275) in the way back which is where I finally heard it.

Not saying it is what you have, but could be.
Jeff88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoungman
I have a 2012 Wrangler sport unlimited. On windy days there is a thud under my front wheel wells. At first I thought it was my after marker mud flaps, I removed them. And still today thud. Im always going straight at at high speeds 55/70. Has anyone experienced this. Im thinking its my wheel well liners, they are flimsy and dont appear to be attached well. Anyone else have this issue, or am I losing my mind!!! The dealership has looked in the past, all looked well. Hoping for a cheap fix, suggestions are welcome.
The inner fender liner is probably flapping against body mine was doing exact same thing on windy days. Put some double sided foam tape behind fender liner where it contacts body and see if noise goes away.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
yllwjckt07

May not be related at all but I put on a bestop trektop nx a week ago and had the top open when driving on the highway last weekend. All of my passengers and I felt a "clunk" coming from under the vehicle. It was really making me concerned. I stopped on side of road and looked under vehicle. Everything looked ok. Got going again and the clunk remained. Something dawned on me that the only thing I had done recently was install the top. I closed the top and the clink was gone. It was resonating through the roll bars to the underside of the vehicle. Not sure if this could be what you are experiencing but worth a shot.
yllwjckt07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

My hood jumps up in the wind, and when it comes down its got a thud to it.
motoguy1251 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Lyoungman

Thanks all, Im hoping mellow is right. My brother in law is going to design something to stop the inner wheel well liner from moving. Im hoping that is my fix!
Unread 09-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
JDubbya
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwjckt07 View Post
May not be related at all but I put on a bestop trektop nx a week ago and had the top open when driving on the highway last weekend. All of my passengers and I felt a "clunk" coming from under the vehicle. It was really making me concerned. I stopped on side of road and looked under vehicle. Everything looked ok. Got going again and the clunk remained. Something dawned on me that the only thing I had done recently was install the top. I closed the top and the clink was gone. It was resonating through the roll bars to the underside of the vehicle. Not sure if this could be what you are experiencing but worth a shot.
Lyoungman, if you do have the trektop nx, you might want to consider what yllwjckt07 is suggesting. I had the same exact issue, it took me a bit, but I realized it was just that, the soft top flap bumping. The banging sound resonates and sounds as if its coming from below. If I am on the highway and want the top open, I bungee it down.
JDubbya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have retaining screws in my fender liners--you don't have any ???

Mine don't move at all !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

sounds like the hood. THe stock rubber just dont do enough. If you removed the front lower air dam, that makes more air get under the hood.
Unread 09-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
DV8Offroad

If it is your inner fender liners you should be able to just do as mello said and put some double sided tape back there. If you have cut or aftermarket fenders you may have to figure out another solution. Our inner fenders were designed to help solve this kind of problem.

http://www.dv8offroad.com/fenders---liners.html

DV8Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #11
Lyoungman

It only happens when the tops is off and yes it's a best top I installed in the beginning of summer. I don't think it's the bars on top tho. The thud comes from underneath by my feet. I have secured the inner wheel wells but it still happens on a windy day.
Unread 09-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
DV8Offroad

Is the noise when you hit bumps to where it could be a suspension issue? Does it thud once then stop or continuous thumping?
Unread 09-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
Lyoungman

It's when driving and windy.. Flat roads..
Unread 09-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #14
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it's the back of your inner fenders, specifically the rear. if you get some body push anchors, the same as used truout your jeep, you can put a couple of them on the rear of the fender and It will take care of the flapping noise. I had attached my fenders to plug on the end of the rubicon rails I have installed on jeep. I've had my JK well over the speedo reading and it has no more noise.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.