Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Throttle Response

2K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  XCELER8 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed a delay from the time you press the gas pedal until the engine revs?

Thanks,
John

#5 ·
When I got my 08 JK the dealer told me about this and that after a few hundred miles the ECU would "learn" my driving style on the throttle - low and behold it apparently did because after about 200 or so miles the issue went away and works great now - how many miles on it?

#11 ·
I don't think he wants fast, I think he just wants the vehicle to acknowledge that he is pressing on the gas pedal without taking 2 minutes.

#12 ·
I have no delay in my throttle but if there is, it is cleverly masked by an under powered non responsive engine. Maybe you need to bring yours in for a check up.
My comment about pressing the throttle before you think you need to was a sarcastic attempt at humor. To eliminate throttle lag press early, get it?

#17 ·
My comment about pressing the throttle before you think you need to was a sarcastic attempt at humor. To eliminate throttle lag press early, get it?
I thought so :) I actually do this one a regular basis though lol.

I doubt it's taking 2 minutes. I doubt it's taking a 1/2 a second for the throttle to respond.
Yeah, that was a bit of exaggeration. I would say there is a 1/2-1 second delay.

I find if I need to take off in a hurry, I will get better results if I press the pedal instead of stomping it. I know that sounds weird, but doing it this way is a faster launch and there is no delay. If I stomp it, there is enough of a delay that is annoying. Try it before you laugh at me.
Thats very true. It seems the delay is longer the further the pedal is initially pressed.

#15 ·
I find if I need to take off in a hurry, I will get better results if I press the pedal instead of stomping it. I know that sounds weird, but doing it this way is a faster launch and there is no delay. If I stomp it, there is enough of a delay that is annoying. Try it before you laugh at me.

#16 ·
Agreed :thumbsup:

The computer just does not understand what stomping the pedal means :laugh:

#19 ·
The computer is just giving you a chance to rethink what you are about to do - since everyone is always complaining about gas mileage, this "feature" gives you a pause to consider a more even-handed driving approach and save on gas, thus sparing the rest of us another "Help, my gas mileage is horrible. Will a Vornado help?!" thread.

#20 ·
yet to see any throttle delay on mine and can even put down rubber if I wanted to. Just curious if all you people that are having problem have a automatic? or if its been a problem with manuals too.

#22 ·
I had a camaro with the ET. I NEVER had the weird-ness I have with the jeep. I thought it was the traction control kicking in. But it did the same thing after I turned it off. :confused:

Like said before, if you go easy, its fine. But when I try to row through the gears it gets annoying.

#24 ·
Part of the reason I submitted the question is that my 08 JK sometimes will stall and die. A combination of not being to hear the motor rev, no real vibrations from the engine revving, and the delay of the rev sometimes I bog the engine down when I let off the clutch before the engine has time to rev enough to pull itself.

Does anyone know if any of the mentioned modifications void the warranty? Such as programming, cold air intake, cat back exhaust, and so on.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

John

#27 ·
I did this a lot with mine in the first 1000 miles. I always owned vehicles with noisy engines. The JK is just plain quiet. But I never attributed that to throttle lag, only driver error. Once I learned how the engine felt through the stick and clutch, it wasnt a problem anymore.

For me, it only seems the lag comes in to play after the clutch is let out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.