Throttle Position Sensor, Power Cut, and High Idle Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Throttle Position Sensor, Power Cut, and High Idle Problems

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
tommy35SS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Throttle Position Sensor, Power Cut, and High Idle Problems

I was on a Colorado wheeling trip this past week and my Jeep started throwing p0123 and getting a lingering high idle, worse than what they do stock. My idle will linger anywhere from 1000-2000 rpm's before finally dropping down to 600 rpm. I also would get a power cut while driving down the highway for a split second, the dash would light up with a red lightening bolt.

The P0123 code has gone away now. I have a scanguage and was monitoring the TPS values and at idle I get 14, it never goes below that. It made me think my Jeep had problems before I bought it (March 2013 with 65,000 miles) as it has always had poor throttle response. I even tuned it for better throttle response when I got my RIPP longtube headers and it made little if no difference.

I took apart the electronic throttle and it appears it all one unit, everything looked clean also. I don't want to lay down over $200 for a new throttle unit unless I'm sure that's the problem.

What should I do? What else can I check?

The Jeep drives ok and smooth still but this is very annoying and a potential inspection issue.

Unread Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #2
tommy35SS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone have any advice?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.