Throttle Body Cleaning? 3.8L '10 JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Throttle Body Cleaning? 3.8L '10 JK

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 01-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Throttle Body Cleaning? 3.8L '10 JK

Thru the years I always took about a 1/3 can of spray "carb cleaner" (tulone, xylene and such)and always cleaned the throttle butterfly, insides, exterior, linkage, etc., before drainging my oil. Often ran small amounts thru one of the air vents on the TB also. Started car, ran rpms up, cleared, di again, etc.,, It WAS good maintenance....(usually ran Techron concentrate thru gas every 30K or so also and a can of Seafoam at 60K and 120K instead)

Many newer vehicles warn to NOT clean the TB. As I'm about to take delivery of my '10 JK, I'm wondering if anyone has any DEFINITIVE KNOWLEDGE of Jeeps recommend to clean or not and if it's ok, what solvent is required if any? (I haven't seen any info in my 2x thru owners manual)..

Appreciate anyone w/ KNOWLEDGE (not conjection) on the subject to post...

Thanx in advance!

Unread 01-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinWesternWA View Post
Appreciate anyone w/ KNOWLEDGE (not conjection) on the subject to post..
Oh, come on now, this forum survives partly on conjection. Just a little, please.
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Too serious a problem can result here w/o knowledge on THIS topic....somebody has got to know? Anything in the service manuals??
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

You shouldn't need to clean it being how new your JK is. Don't ever spray anything on the MASS (mass airflow sensor).
The manual doesn't make mention of cleaning it but it does mention quite often this:
Clean and lubricate soft top zippers (if equipped).
I'd leave the throttle body alone.
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinWesternWA View Post
Too serious a problem can result here w/o knowledge on THIS topic....somebody has got to know? Anything in the service manuals??
Todayís carís (Jeeps) do not need such maintenance. Are you not running with a sealed air system? You should never have to do that. If it ever become necessary to clean the inside, then it would be 1 in a million.

Last edited by 1222; 01-08-2010 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Too strong...
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have direct experience in this area. My knowledge is based on having fuel injected vehicles since 1985.
I have never had symptoms that would indicate a throttle body cleaning was necessary. Inspection always revealed a cleaning was not needed.

Maybe it's because I have always replaced the air filter at regular intervals.

I could not find any reference to throttle body cleaning in the factory service manual.

There is no mass airflow sensor on the JK. (I mention that because someone said to be careful of it.)
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to offend! But, several cars engines due to the natural process of combustion, never being 100% complete, temp changes, air past the filter, etc., et all., can tend to "carbon" so to speak, or leave deposits and over time they can build up and effect performance, ... however, I serviced a Ford recently, a Contour if I remember, that clearly had marked on the TB, "do not service"....so the theory seems to depend on manufacturer. It's been good practice on other cars that has helped idle quality/smoothness and performance (Toyota from 90's comes to mind). I never clean a MAF other than some alcohol and a q tip maybe at 30K~60K services. Am aware MAF doesn't exist in line after air filter of Jeep though.

The zipper point was well taken, probably after a good handwash detail that should ALWAYS be part of the clean up...

If I didn't like the topic I just wouldn't respond, no sense to go ape crap but, but, THANX and to those w/ constructive input. BTW: I've driven 4WD vehicles and worked on 'em since 1975! Yes, this is my frst Jeep, not my first Xysler product by far (#4) but, Jeep still has it's unique pieces and parts!
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

After re-reading my post above, I think I came on a little too strong. Iíve edited it a bit to clean it up. Sorry.
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Very well put....bygones... well noooo but,
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

OK i AM going to disclose this at MY EXPERIENCE.
My wife drives this JK as her daily driver since I feel its safer for her.
At about 35k she noticed it acted like it was going to die when coming to a stop(The throttle comes back down to idle)
I took it in not knowing what the problem was. Let me explain I am like the writer of this thread, use to older vehicles. Spray some seafoam in the throttle body. However since these vehicle are 'fly by wire' they use a motor to control the butterfly valve on the intake manifold. That scared and me and thus I didn't clean it. DId want to strip out any gears that might be between the electric motor and butterfly valve.
SO the deal called me and says, "Have you clean you throttle body, and I said no" they stated "The back side of the butterfly valve is covers in black stuff(Not sure what everyone wants to call this stuff, -carbon build up , soot)". Which was impeding the air flow when the butterfly valve would return to the 'Idle' position. They said they would have to charge me since this is maintanence and not a warranty issue. I ask if I come there will the mechanic show me, since I am a DIY guy. I arrived, and they did indeed show me and it was INDEED covered with stuff.
Now I know everyone is thinking where is your air filter. I am a thorough guy when it comes to taking care of my vehicle(probably too through). I KEEP my filters clean and tight fitting so as not to let any debri by the filter. Yes its installed correctly as the stealership would of probably got on to me for that too.
So I took it home and just like they showed me. I did the following
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Unplug the harness from the butterfly valve motor.
3. Undo the 4 star bolts from the throttle body.
4. BE gentle with it, as it is an isolated working component extremely important to the function of your vehicle.
5. Flip it over to see the back side of the butterfly valve. Is it dirty? Probably use a cleaner that is a 'di-electric'
I use seafoam airsole can. I then also spray about a 10sec shot in the actual intake all over the inside in fact.
6. Re-install in reverse order.

AGAIN this WAS show and told to me by my dealer.
Dealer is BOB Frensley Madison, TN spoke with the service guy first whose name is Daniel, as for the mechanic I didn't catch his name.
I can do a write up if people feel scared doing this.
I have been doing it EVERY other oil change since they have shown me.
My Jeep runs perfect!! and gets pretty good gas mileage (19ish)
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

anything about spraying the butterfly and tube ON THE CAR (w/o disassembly) and "scrubbing" w/ your finger old rag/toothbrush, spraying again to flush? (It's The old typical "on the car" method w/o any disassembly). Then start/run motor to clean out? It's always the back side of the butterfly that gets the combustion "soot" on it, so small fingers/toothbrush helps...
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
mikejwil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Today’s car’s (Jeeps) do not need such maintenance. Are you not running with a sealed air system? You should never have to do that. If it ever become necessary to clean the inside, then it would be 1 in a million.
I would have to disagree. I pulled and cleaned my '93 and '99 XJs. Plenty of soot buildup. Just did my wife's '03 Altima - pretty dirty, but it did have 90,000 miles on it...so nothing out of the ordinary.

Even though the air coming in is clean (assuming regular filter changes), you still have the CCV and EGR to consider as sources of gunk. That is why most of the buildup is on the manifold side of the TB, not the air filter side.

You do need to be careful, though... Some TBs have a coating that some cleaners will strip off - so you need to make sure the cleaner is safe for your TB.

EDIT - oh, and BTW... I prefer to take the TB off of the vehicle for cleaning. Don't want that gunk getting into the engine, right?
1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN
1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
mikejwil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
mikejwil

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttytruckster View Post
So I took it home and just like they showed me. I did the following
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Unplug the harness from the butterfly valve motor.
3. Undo the 4 star bolts from the throttle body.
4. BE gentle with it, as it is an isolated working component extremely important to the function of your vehicle.
5. Flip it over to see the back side of the butterfly valve. Is it dirty? Probably use a cleaner that is a 'di-electric'
I use seafoam airsole can. I then also spray about a 10sec shot in the actual intake all over the inside in fact.
6. Re-install in reverse order.

AGAIN this WAS show and told to me by my dealer.
Dealer is BOB Frensley Madison, TN spoke with the service guy first whose name is Daniel, as for the mechanic I didn't catch his name.
I can do a write up if people feel scared doing this.
I have been doing it EVERY other oil change since they have shown me.
My Jeep runs perfect!! and gets pretty good gas mileage (19ish)
Hmmm... I'm just over 34K now. Guess I better have a look. I've been putting it off because the local parts stores don't have a replacement gasket yet. I'm paranoid about taking things off without a spare gasket. If I don't have one, I'll surely rip the dang thing in two taking it off
STOLEN
1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejwil View Post
Hmmm... I'm just over 34K now. Guess I better have a look. I've been putting it off because the local parts stores don't have a replacement gasket yet. I'm paranoid about taking things off without a spare gasket. If I don't have one, I'll surely rip the dang thing in two taking it off
Is it a gasket, or a rubber o-ring?

Why not try the dealer? It can't be that expensive.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
mikejwil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Is it a gasket, or a rubber o-ring?

Why not try the dealer? It can't be that expensive.
less convenient, and figured i could wait since only at 34K. just lazy, i suppose
STOLEN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.