thoughts on shocks - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > thoughts on shocks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #16
Kolak
Vendor

If you ever visit the TJ forum you'll see that they wheel them _hard_ over there and are a favorite shock with no issues.

If you have time to email me the part numbers you have/had, as well as your lift height, I'd like to do some research.

kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
Rancho_Lifts
Shock & Suspension Expert
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quick question do you adjust the shocks to a firmer setting when towing? I am going to assume so. Would you mind sharing what you have them set at, and perhaps the weight of the trailer/load (guesstimate). Appreciate that info, it is good for the ol' memory bank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
The bilsteins were good at first but then felt softer after they were broken in. Then they began to feel like they offered no control of the wheel they were installed on whatsoever. When this happened, death wobble became a normal characteristic of my Jeep. Closer inspection of them revealed that they were leaking terribly. Once removed, I tested them by compressing them and they did not expand out after being compressed. I went through three sets in a short period of time, which also had me removing and reinstalling/tightening every steering and suspension component trying to find what could be causing the death wobble multiple times per day every damn day. I was ready to just trade my Jeep in for virtually any other vehicle but then decided to give the Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks a try. The ride is drastically improved and I have not had death wobble since installing the Rancho's. I came across this solution by noticing that I never got death wobble while pulling my trailer. I deduced that the trailer's weight is forcing a more controlled motion of the tires across road irregularities. Turned out that was exactly right. I still had a bit of a shimmy though. That turned out to be caused by BFG AT tires. Other people in my area were experiencing the same thing with BFG AT on JK's. I replaced them with the same size tire, but with Duratracs and my Jeep has been fine since.

My story about this is part of the stickies or FAQ about death wobble.

With most shocks, if the rebound, valving, etc. are not right for your spring rate and vehicle weight, you are stuck to just live with it or buy a different kind of shock hoping for the best. With the Rancho's you can dial them in to work with the rest of your components.

I hate giving a bad review of a product, but three sets of leaking shocks in a relatively short period of time warrants me mentioning my experience.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic302198_9.gif
Rancho_Lifts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #18
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

My trailer is a cargo craft 6' X 13' enclosed trailer I sometimes use to carry my Harley. It's a single axle trailer.

I still have bilstein's in the rear. The Rancho's up front are set to 7. I do not adjust them for towing since it isn't all that heavy and the Rancho's are on the front, not the rear.

My lift was a black diamond 3" lift that really netted me about 4" of lift. I changed out most of the lift components with PolyPerformance while also adding some additional PolyPerformance suspension and steering components.

My main point here is to give a good review of Rancho, not a bad review of bilstein.

My steering and suspension work pretty good with this setup. The Duratracs were a huge improvement over the BFG AT in every way. Now if only I could get around to the diesel conversion......
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
Rancho_Lifts
Shock & Suspension Expert
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
My trailer is a cargo craft 6' X 13' enclosed trailer I sometimes use to carry my Harley. It's a single axle trailer.

I still have bilstein's in the rear. The Rancho's up front are set to 7. I do not adjust them for towing since it isn't all that heavy and the Rancho's are on the front, not the rear.

My lift was a black diamond 3" lift that really netted me about 4" of lift. I changed out most of the lift components with PolyPerformance while also adding some additional PolyPerformance suspension and steering components.

My main point here is to give a good review of Rancho, not a bad review of bilstein.

My steering and suspension work pretty good with this setup. The Duratracs were a huge improvement over the BFG AT in every way. Now if only I could get around to the diesel conversion......
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic302198_9.gif
Rancho_Lifts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.