thoughts on shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > thoughts on shocks

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineRugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 01-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
TJeep32
2009 JK Wrangler 

thoughts on shocks

I have no lift on my 2010 2dr and on stock size tires. Im looking at getting new shocks. What brands do u recommend? Im not looking at spending alot on them. Thanks for your input in advance!

TJeep32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
stevedude19
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeep32
I have no lift on my 2010 2dr and on stock size tires. Im looking at getting new shocks. What brands do u recommend? Im not looking at spending alot on them. Thanks for your input in advance!
why do you want new shocks?
Unread 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Best bang for the buck, in my opinion? A new set of rubicon take off shocks.

You can find them on Craigslist or a forum for incredibly cheap and they're brand new.

I have a bunch of parts in my basement that came off my rubicon with 700 miles that I listed online several times for real cheap and had no interest. I've seen others post their parts for sale over and over again.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
TJeep32
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just looking for a nicer ride than the stock sport shocks i have on it right now with 80,000 miles on them
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

For stock height, Monroe Reflex are alright, but if you spend a little more you can get Rancho 9000xl which are adjustable.

I used to recommend bilstein 5100's but after going through three sets in a short period of time, I no longer recommend them. The adjustable Rancho's let you tune it to your needs and specific setup and preference compared to buying a shock that you hope rides like you want it because if not, too bad, you are stuck with it.
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
TJeep32
2009 JK Wrangler 

I was looking into fox racing shocks. They have some for 0"-2" of lift. I am considering them.
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
dauster500
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You get what you pay for

Gotmudcnj4x4.org
dauster500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've had no problems with my Bilstein HD's. Noticeably better than stock too.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Prot, can you give a brief explanation as to what was wrong with the Bilsteins, Iím not too happy with mine either, thanks.

OP, I would also recommend some Rubi take offs too. Like mentioned above you can get them for cheap and they are an excellent gas charged shock.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Old man emu nitro sports ride pretty nice.
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm very happy with my bilstein 5100s as well, have been on other rigs too.
BUT my recommendation for the run take offs are because you don't want to spend a lot. A nearly new set will cost a lot less than other new options and they aren't a bad shock.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
Prot, can you give a brief explanation as to what was wrong with the Bilsteins, I’m not too happy with mine either, thanks.

OP, I would also recommend some Rubi take offs too. Like mentioned above you can get them for cheap and they are an excellent gas charged shock.
The bilsteins were good at first but then felt softer after they were broken in. Then they began to feel like they offered no control of the wheel they were installed on whatsoever. When this happened, death wobble became a normal characteristic of my Jeep. Closer inspection of them revealed that they were leaking terribly. Once removed, I tested them by compressing them and they did not expand out after being compressed. I went through three sets in a short period of time, which also had me removing and reinstalling/tightening every steering and suspension component trying to find what could be causing the death wobble multiple times per day every damn day. I was ready to just trade my Jeep in for virtually any other vehicle but then decided to give the Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks a try. The ride is drastically improved and I have not had death wobble since installing the Rancho's. I came across this solution by noticing that I never got death wobble while pulling my trailer. I deduced that the trailer's weight is forcing a more controlled motion of the tires across road irregularities. Turned out that was exactly right. I still had a bit of a shimmy though. That turned out to be caused by BFG AT tires. Other people in my area were experiencing the same thing with BFG AT on JK's. I replaced them with the same size tire, but with Duratracs and my Jeep has been fine since.

My story about this is part of the stickies or FAQ about death wobble.

With most shocks, if the rebound, valving, etc. are not right for your spring rate and vehicle weight, you are stuck to just live with it or buy a different kind of shock hoping for the best. With the Rancho's you can dial them in to work with the rest of your components.

I hate giving a bad review of a product, but three sets of leaking shocks in a relatively short period of time warrants me mentioning my experience.
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Kolak
Vendor

I've been selling Bilstein for Jeeps for over 15 years. I've had a few warranty claims over the years but never more than one shock on any given Jeep and certainly never a complete set, not even once, let alone multiple times. There's something highly unusual going on there. I'd be interested in knowing where you bought them and the parts numbers you received and whether you got Bilstein involved directly. They take quality _very_seriously.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Prot. The rear shocks on my previous í08 went out on me along with both fronts shortly after but never got a chance to replace them. To Bilsteins credit though I did run them hard at times and they did last for a while. Now with the new Bilsteins I have lost a lot of the compression than when new (less than a year) plus I do have some leakage. Although they are a popular shock my next set will be something different.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak
I've been selling Bilstein for Jeeps for over 15 years. I've had a few warranty claims over the years but never more than one shock on any given Jeep and certainly never a complete set, not even once, let alone multiple times. There's something highly unusual going on there. I'd be interested in knowing where you bought them and the parts numbers you received and whether you got Bilstein involved directly. They take quality _very_seriously.
I think it was shockwarehouse. Everyone involved was helpful. Maybe my springs just didn't work very well with them and they were working overtime. I have never been rock crawling and everything is pretty flat here. I am also easy on my equipment. The roads here are horrible though and I think driving on pavement is worse than driving off road.

Again, not trying to trash bilstein or shockwarehouse, but that's what my experience was and the cure to my Jeep's problems was mostly changing to the aforementioned Rancho's which do not leak and still work like when they were installed.

It was the bilstein's on the front end that were more problematic than the rears, although rears did give me trouble too.

Black Diamond springs are probably not the best. I originally had a black diamond lift and slowly replaced most of the black diamond components with PolyPerformance. I kept the springs because it's a simple spring and was not broken. Maybe if I had better springs the bilstein shocks may have lasted better?

I still have bilstein's on the rear for now but if they go to leaking, I will swap them out with Rancho's like I have up front. No need to replace something that isn't broken. To be clear, I did swap out the rear bilstein's two or three times, not just the fronts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.