Thoughts on new Pentastar motor & Waiting to buy JK Rubi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Thoughts on new Pentastar motor & Waiting to buy JK Rubi

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 07-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Totsie7944

Thoughts on new Pentastar motor & Waiting to buy JK Rubi

I've been wanting to buy a 4-door Rubicon for the past year. I plan on doing a 3.5" lift, 35's, steering stabilizer, 5.13 gears, superchip, and then a few cosmetic things and other cheap minor things. No major off roading, but want it to look good and be able to handle minor 4 wheeling.

After being a member on this site for a while now and kind of trolling and reading more than posting a ton, it's quite obvious that I'd be spending $32,000+ on the Jeep, plus another $5,000 just to get the thing enough power to make it up hills with that lift and be able to utilize the cruise control.

With that being said, I need some opinions from people older and more wise than myself.

I'm thinking about buying one this spring. But would it make more sense to wait till 2012 models start popping up that WILL HOPEFULLY have the new motor making way more power? I'd hope the price would be similiar for the 2012's.

Not to mention I'm sure these new motors would be able to be chipped as well and maybe even respond to cheap mods like intake & exhaust better than the motors do now. So for about the same price, and saving the $1,200for re-gearing we could probably get those motors well over 300 hp.

What about buying now and then trading in within 1 year. I'd just leave mine stock (though it would be hard) and then trade it in on a new one? I'm sure I'd lose a few thousand dollars doing this though?

What are you guys all thinking?

Totsie7944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

What you think you are waiting on and what actually changes if anything in the next model will most likely be two different things. If you like the Jeep and can afford it then go get it. You could be hit by a bus tomorrow, if you buy the Jeep today I can promise you would at least have a really stupid grin on your face when you get hit by said bus!

I owned my Jeep 1 year before a single mod. It took me three years to decide on a real suspension lift to replace my BB. I wheeled and had all kinds of fun in between and continue to do so and continue to mod it. What I'm saying is you are missing out right now. Go buy the JEEP.
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Totsie7944

Haha I hear ya on that! But the problem is I already have a race car I built and that hobby of racing, re-building, gets very expensive! So it'd kind of be a struggle to have a Jeep and not want to go ahead with the lift, etc.

Maybe I'll just buy it and leave it stock for a year. I guess you're right haha
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Get the Jeep now, save some money up and go for the HEMI swap. Power problem solved.
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
jeffself
2010 JK Wrangler 

I was in the same situation you are. I was hearing about the Pentastar V-6 coming to the Wrangler. But last month, it was announced that it would not be until 2012 at the earliest, more likely 2013. So I said, forget it, and bought a 2010 4dr Rubicon Monday night. Decided not to wait on the 2011 since there isn't much change and Jeep is running 36mo 0% financing now.
jeffself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffself View Post
I was in the same situation you are. I was hearing about the Pentastar V-6 coming to the Wrangler. But last month, it was announced that it would not be until 2012 at the earliest, more likely 2013. So I said, forget it, and bought a 2010 4dr Rubicon Monday night. Decided not to wait on the 2011 since there isn't much change and Jeep is running 36mo 0% financing now.
what kind of discount did you get off msrp for Rubicons these days. im in the same situation as everyone above..
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
JWA

Go buy a Rubicon and enjoy it stock. Make "upgrades" as you feel the need for them - which is likely to be almost never for the type of use you are describing. By the time that new motor finally comes out you'll have had two or three years of fun in your Rubi already.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
jeffself
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
what kind of discount did you get off msrp for Rubicons these days. im in the same situation as everyone above..
Found it on the dealers website and their Internet price was about $2k under sticker. Of course, they tried to sell it to us at sticker but we got them down another $500 under the Internet price. I knew I couldn't go too far since it was a Rubi and that was the first one I saw in our area between the 4 Jeep dealerships in 2 months.
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffself View Post
Found it on the dealers website and their Internet price was about $2k under sticker. Of course, they tried to sell it to us at sticker but we got them down another $500 under the Internet price. I knew I couldn't go too far since it was a Rubi and that was the first one I saw in our area between the 4 Jeep dealerships in 2 months.
damn, i was afraid of that. i am used to $3500+ off MSRP on the non-Rubi's but i know they are real stiff on the Rubi's cuz everyone wants them.
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Get used 4 door that looks good, but has a ton of miles, because your going to replace the engine and tranny anyway. Shoot for something around 18k. Probably going to be a 2007. Then do a HEMI swap for 10,000-15,000. Suddenly, you spent 30k like you would have anyway, and have a drool worthy Jeep that will outrun the Pentastar powered Jeeps.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
damn, i was afraid of that. i am used to $3500+ off MSRP on the non-Rubi's but i know they are real stiff on the Rubi's cuz everyone wants them.
You still thinking? All the people that bought them are out having fun in them right now. You know the next version of the wrangler is going to be a travesty to the Jeep name far inferior to our JK's Hell we won't even consider them Jeeps, what with all the ________,_________,___________,________,_______, and I've lived years without a ________ in my vehicle. Wranglers died with the JK!! (or something like that)
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
fan45acp
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totsie7944 View Post
Haha I hear ya on that! But the problem is I already have a race car I built and that hobby of racing, re-building, gets very expensive! So it'd kind of be a struggle to have a Jeep and not want to go ahead with the lift, etc.

Maybe I'll just buy it and leave it stock for a year. I guess you're right haha
Get the Jeep.Sell the race car.Use the money from the race car for mods on your Jeep.Enjoy............If I didn't have my Jeep now,I'd buy one tommorrow.
fan45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
Totsie7944

Haha there is no way I'd ever sell the race car...waaaay too much fun and I have too much personal time, money, blood, sweat and tears in it lol.

I'll look into a 2010-2011 new sometime in the next 6 months I guess.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.